Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life of Grime - NYC

Life of Grime - NYC

I'm watching this show on Discovery Channel about people in NYC who have the job of cleaning up the vermin, doing health checks, etc. This is rather gross.

Blech... I can't wait until dinnertime.

LOL, I watched Matt Laurer this morning before I went to work, out and about with the NYC Sanitation Dep't rubbish collectors. Rats rated high on the vermin list for NYC.
    Interesting the way rubbish is put out for collection.

Croc.
    Croc.
    It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
    Winston Churchill
    Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.

some of the rats in NYC are huge....especially in the subways...

If I was in charge i'd employ the rats to keep them out of the homes and resturaunts.

I almost took a job once as a Subway Transit worker, workin on the rails, was 19 and the pay was like 15 an hour, I almost took it, had it not been for a friend of mine, whom was a rail worker, and told me that the rats down there would put fear in a Doberman....I gladly turned the position down.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    I almost took a job once as a Subway Transit worker, workin on the rails, was 19 and the pay was like 15 an hour, I almost took it, had it not been for a friend of mine, whom was a rail worker, and told me that the rats down there would put fear in a Doberman....I gladly turned the position down.

Good choice LOL!!!!

Can't ya carry a club or somethin' ? ...after all it is a rat.. not a baby seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    Can't ya carry a club or somethin' ? ...after all it is a rat.. not a baby seal.
    LMAO, baby seals would be breakfast for these beasts.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

****ing poems and now scared of rats! oh man.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    ****ing poems and now scared of rats! oh man.
    These aren't rats, these are small dogs with very sharp teeth, not enough pay to deal with that lol

I got to back Prey up on this one...man they are huge..and very scary looking..I aint afraid of a ghost..but those rats...

These aren't rats, these are small dogs with very sharp teeth, not enough pay to deal with that lol

Flame thrower and cherry bombs plus whatever Duke Nukem' quote ya like best!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
    I got to back Prey up on this one...man they are huge..and very scary looking..I aint afraid of a ghost..but those rats...

Watch out for Ghost Rats!!!!!!!!!

here an aritcle million of rats in NYC LOL

http://www.agrizap.com/articles/NYC_...ns_of_Rats.htm

NYC Struggles With Millions of Rats
    By LUKAS I. ALPERT, Associated Press Writer
    Speak your mind
    Discuss this story with other people.
    [Start a Conversation]
    (Requires Yahoo! Messenger)

NEW YORK (AP) - Swarms of foot-long, mangy rats are the stuff of nightmares, but for residents of the Baruch Houses it's just another evening in lower Manhattan.

Thousands of rats, stirred from their homes by construction, have swarmed into the public housing development.

``I have to shake my keys and throw rocks at them just to get out of my building. I can't live like this,'' said resident Christine Morton, 22.

New York's rat problem extends far beyond the halls of its public housing. Bill Perkins, chairman of the City Council's Select Committee on Pest Control, estimates that there are nine rats for every person in the city - a rat population of about 70 million.

``They're everywhere - parks, city-owned buildings, they're even showing up in our schools,'' Perkins said.

Perkins blames the growing rat problem on increased construction, poor garbage disposal and a lack of coordination in the city's response to rat infestations.

``I've never seen rats like this,'' said Kitty Person, who has lived at Baruch for 39 years. ``They come out and have a party here at night time.''

Her neighbors say the rats have besieged the housing development for months, but it wasn't until news reports about the problem that the Health Department brought in rat poison.

A Housing Department employee who wouldn't give his name said he and his co-workers found about 200 dead rats the morning after the poison was placed.

Shortly after dark that night, the grounds were crawling with hundreds of the beasts again, brazenly picking their way through tenants' garbage.

``They are an extraordinarily adaptable and hardy breed,'' said Dr. Patrick Thomas, curator of mammals at the Bronx Zoo.

Norway rats- the variety most common in New York - were introduced to America by the first European settlers and are primarily nocturnal, Thomas said. Although some New Yorkers will swear they've seen rats as large as house cats, Thomas said they generally don't get heavier than a pound, despite their diets.

``They will consume things that we don't generally consider food, such as soap or leather,'' Thomas said. ``They are very comfortable around human activity.''

The danger is the diseases the rats can carry, including leptospirosis, which can lead to liver failure, and hantavirus, which can cause respiratory illness.

Department of Health spokeswoman Sandra Mullin said the city requires landlords to keep their buildings clean, and its pest control budget has more than doubled since 1997, from $5.5 million to $13 million.

That does little to calm Kitty Person's nerves.

``Some nights I feel they might just lift my building right up off the ground,'' she said.

NYC, the city so nice, its home to rats and mice!

Flame thrower and cherry bombs plus whatever Duke Nukem' quote ya like best!
    "Your face, your ass, what's the difference?"

NYC, the city so nice, its home to rats and mice!
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Your face, your ass, what's the difference?"

ya but i'm sure she smacks u in the face when u try and use that line in bed.

During the almost one week I was in NYC, I didn't see one rat. Weird.

Oh... and I took the subway EVERYWHERE I went. I really lucked out.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman
    During the almost one week I was in NYC, I didn't see one rat. Weird.

Oh... and I took the subway EVERYWHERE I went. I really lucked out.

Prey includes police officers into the rat family, so thats why he sees so many more.

But ya i saw that show, good show. Discovery rocks.