Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Bettman's reign over the NHL can be summed up in one word: Horrendous

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Gary Bettman's reign over the NHL can be summed up in one word: Horrendous

Hi to all

This pretty much sums things up imho. This will be my last post on NHL Hockey until something significant breaks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commish: You've been dissed

Gary Bettman's reign over the NHL can be summed up in one word: Horrendous, Al Strachan writes

By AL STRACHAN
    ===========

SHOULD NATIONAL Hockey League commissioner Gary Bettman be fired now that he has driven the league to the brink of extinction? Not if you listen to the owners. Bettman has done a wonderful job, they say. With that in mind, let's look at what has happened in the NHL since Feb. 1, 1993 the date Bettman became commissioner.

- There have been three labour stoppages -- a strike by the on-ice officials and two lockouts of the players.

- The Winnipeg Jets moved to Phoenix where, for more than seven years they tried (unsuccessfully) to draw fans to an atrocious facility. They got to play in their new arena for four months before Bettman shut down the league.

- The Hartford Whalers moved to North Carolina where they have been, expect for one brief fling, a disaster.

- Bettman encouraged and heartily endorsed for chairman of the league's board of governors Bruce McNall, a man who subsequently went to jail for fraud.

- Bettman gave his whole-hearted approval to the sale of the Buffalo Sabres to a man whose last public appearance came when he was being led off in handcuffs by the FBI.

- The New York Islanders were almost sold to a con man, a deal that came so close to fruition that the league became (again) a laughing stock. But through Bettman's diligence the Islanders were eventually sold to a pair of entrepreneurs, only one of whom is facing fraud charges.

- Despite promises from Bettman that he would revive the offencive aspect of the game, scoring steadily has evaporated. In the three seasons prior to the owners' lockout, the once-common 50-goal campaign was achieved only twice, and in two of those years, not a single player managed to muster 100 points. Goals were so scarce last season that no player in the league managed to score more than 41.

- Bettman was totally in favour of the travesty of taking the ultimate authority to review goals away from the referees and giving it to video judges. That decision led to the fiasco at the end of the 1998-99 season when Brett Hull scored the Stanley Cup winning goal with his skate in the crease.

- Bettman increased the number of franchises in the league to 30 by bringing in four franchises, only two of which could be considered to be successful.

- Bettman oversaw the 1995 collective bargaining agreement under which, he says, the owners lost a collective $1.8 billion US. But he extended it twice.

- He has seen the value of the American network television deal dwindle to virtual worthlessness. Under the last deal with NBC, the NHL receives no guaranteed revenues but will get some returns if the broadcasts show a profit.

- The American cable network deal with ESPN is in even worse shape. Once, the network showed doubleheaders and the NHL represented a significant part of the schedule on the main network. More recently, the NHL was shunted to ESPN2 and the number of telecasts was reduced dramatically. Now, thanks to Bettman's lockout, ESPN has found replacement shows that have far outstripped the ratings that hockey provided lately. As a result, if the lockout ever ends, the NHL will have virtually no network exposure in the United States. All of this is directly traceable to the fact that Bettman has been unable to prevent the deterioration of the sport as an entertaining spectacle.

There are many more examples of Bettman's negative impact on the league, but space prevents their inclusion. Even so, it should be fairly obvious that under Bettman's stewardship, the league's popularity has fallen dramatically and as a direct result, its financial situation has become precarious, to say the least.

Yet the owners repeatedly back Bettman and praise his efforts on their behalf.

No wonder they can't run their teams profitably. They can't tell a failure from a success.

--

regards

minir

"- Bettman increased the number of franchises in the league to 30 by bringing in four franchises, only two of which could be considered to be successful."

Thats the only one I'd argue. I don't feel its right to blame him for that.

Oh and I'm glad the whalers are gone

Blog Entries
    Good morning YARDofSTUF

I don't feel its right to blame him for that.
    I think with Bettman he see's Quantity rather than Quality. His choices overall in Ownership matters is iffy at best imho.

He simply loves to accept Franchise Fees to help the Books look better to the Owners, but in many cases its both short lived and unprofitable overall.

These same Bad Market Teams are what is causing the problems in the Negotiations.

Rather than targeting successful, money making Franchise such as Detroit, Toronto, Philly etc and having others emulate them, he is allowing unsuccessful Franchises to dictate the Negotiations. Silly really.

When you sit in the Big Chair, you are ultimately responsible imho.

The sooner He's gone the better for the Sport imho.

Just my view YARDofSTUF

Thanks and do have a good one.

--

regards

minir

Yeah, it's a damned shame isn't Minir? I thought they would get it done this weekend..I really did!! They ripped my heart out AGAIN!! Thank god for NCAA basketball and of course Fighting Illini basketball!!!!

I never thought someone could make Bud Selig look good but Bettman has managed to do it.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

Blog Entries
    Hi Illini25 & tao_jones

It really is a shame the damage this individual has caused the League. He and a handful of Owners in losing Franchises are treating the Game with absolutely no respect.

One can only hope someone comes up with a Plan so they can at least Market the Game for next Season. Seasons Ticket Sellers and Sponsors deserve at least that much.

Thanks Fellas and do have a lovely day

--

regards

minir

Bettman needs his ass kicked..

j/k

All joking aside this is the worst business man EVER.
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    not to mention the Penguins went from winning stanley cups to worst record in the league....

D@mn him...its all his fault...

****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tao_jones
    I never thought someone could make Bud Selig look good but Bettman has managed to do it.
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Hi ya Sammy, JBKM & Indy

Sammy
    I'd like to take him into a Corner. The little Ferret would never emerge again

---

JBKM
    And the Loonie took a tumble also. I know that's his fault too

---

Indy
    He is the Poster boy of Bad Management as far as i'm concerned as well Indy

--

Thanks Guys, have a wonderful evening

--

regards

minir

Hang that bastard !!!!!!!

I want my hockey back FINALLY
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Blog Entries
    Hi rivas

I don't think the Little Fella has enough bodyweight to stretch a rope rivas

But i'm all for finding out

Thanks and do enjoy a lovely day

--

regards

minir

I agree he needs to go!!!!!!!

I miss my NY Rangers...even though for last 10 years we sucked bad...even though we had the highest salary for a team, I still loved the game.

I just hope hockey comes back because I know it might be tough to ever see NY Rangers win a cup ever again, but I thought it would be because they just still got the curse not because there is no more league =(

There is the Govenors meeting to try to get things settled for marketing and rules but the head of the players union said they are not in a big rush to get anything settled at all since they dont get another paycheck till october...WTF

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

Whoooo hooo Keep this hocky thread open..

Burke loves them.
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

Blog Entries
    Hi Ghosthunter, tao_jones & Sammy

Ghosthunter
    He certainly hasn't been a positive force for the owners imho Ghosthunter. His dismissal would be well received in many places i'm sure. Go Rangers Go!

--

tao_jones
    A lot of whats being said by both sides is simply Smoke. They both realize they need each other and the damage being wrought is not a good thing for either side.

I think they need a new Team in their to help mediate and get this cleaned up once and for all.

--

Sammy
    I missed most of Burkes Post, only catching it after Kip had responded. What all was said i do not know, but it was unnecessary imho and a typical Burke Post designed to generate controversy.

--

Thanks Fellas & do have a wonderful evening

--

regards

minir

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    I want hockey!! Why the hell does BASKETBALL work yet hockey doesn't? Basketball is weak....

Swear thats all people care about down here......

THE SPURS THIS THE SPURS that.....

i say put them on skates and see how much trash they talk!
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

I am not a huge basketball fan myself..to me in basketball only thing that matters is the last few minutes...game is too high scoring for me

Blog Entries
    Hi JBKM & Ghosthunter

I'm no Fan of B Ball either...Too much Showboating for my taste.

Raise the Net 2 more Feet and make a Game of it. It was fine a Decade ago when most were 6' or less, but at 6'7 and beyond its a joke imho.

As to why it works...Read Huge TV Revenues. Something else Bettman has failed at miserably
    ---

regards

minir

disabled account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
    I am not a huge basketball fan myself..to me in basketball only thing that matters is the last few minutes...game is too high scoring for me
    I enjoy playing basketball. The pro walk (which by the rule book, is traveling) is what provides the showboat dunks.

The Rangers are part of the problem. They are the ones handing out ridiculous sums to fading stars, only to raise the salary scale while failing to earn the cup.
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.