Thread: hey vinyl fans,Downhill,Chris,Tony,,,"Record revival"

hey vinyl fans,Downhill,Chris,Tony,,,"Record revival"

this is what we have known for a long time

good news> "Old-fashioned LPs are holding their own in digitized, CD-dominated world"

"Vinyl records may crackle with sounds from the past, but they're not fading anytime soon as music lovers preserve the nostalgic format."

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1...707943,00.html

Blog Entries
    You know, I've been seriously thinking about going out and finding a good turntable again...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

I've records that CD's don't match as far as sound quality goes.

The drawback? Taking care of them. One of these days I'm gonna get a record vacuum.

Indy.....Ebay is your friend. So is www.audiogon.com

Dual 1219 used is an excellent entry level if you can find one in good shape. They are a work horse.

Also....vinyl has never really gone away. You can still find lot's of them being released today by a few select companies...

http://store.acousticsounds.com/

http://www.redtrumpet.com/index.php3

To name a couple......

Also..beware of buying vinyl on Ebay. ...Always ask quesions as most grade EVERYTHING as m-..

Send the seller an email explaining that your interested in buying but only if he's grading them on the Goldmine standard[COLOR=Lime]......Explain that if you are high bidder and the item isn't as advertised...you will leave a negative feedback. Usually you'll get an email back saying that they have no idea what your talking about but hey....they can till read the cover just fine but yes it has major ring wear, has a name on the back of it written with a felt tip marker the end of the jacket is crushed and you can't read the lettering...and the album is in great shape with only 5 or 6 scratch marks....No they haven't played it but their Grandpa says sounds better now that it's aged 15 years...

Still....I've found some great vinyl on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill
    I've records that CD's don't match as far as sound quality goes.

The drawback? Taking care of them. Once of these days I'm gonna get a record vacume.

Indy.....Ebay is your friend. So is www.audiogon.com

Dual 1219 used is an excellent entry level if you can find one in good shape. They are a work horse.

Also....vinyl has never really gone away. You can still find lot's of them being released today by a few select companies...

http://store.acousticsounds.com/

http://www.redtrumpet.com/index.php3

To name a couple......

Also..Ebay. Beware of buying threre...Always ask quesions as most grade EVERYTHING as m-..

Send the seller an email explaining that your interested in buying but only if he's grading them on the Goldmine standard......Explain that if you are high bidder and the item isn't as advertised...you will leave a negative feedback. Usually you'll get an email back saying that they have no idea what your talking about but hey....they can till read the cover just fine but yes it has major ring wear, has a name on the back of it written with a felt tip marker...and the album is in great shape with only 5 or 6 scratch marks....No they haven't played it but their Grandpa says it's in great shape...

Still....I've found some great vinyl on ebay.
    I've been buying mine at used record stores,

I got the entire Marshall Tucker vinyl collection in great shape that way.

and I knew they did'nt go away,it was just nice to see this story in today's paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I've been buying mine at used record stores,

I got the entire Marshall Tucker vinyl collection in great shape that way.

and I knew they did'nt go away,it was just nice to see this story in today's paper.

I've one place here to find quality vinyl but it's overpriced.

Marshall Tuckers Searchin' For a Rainbow is an all time favorite of mine.

After the death of Tommy Caldwell, I think the band kinda fell apart but they still put out a ton of albums...

Dan, do you keep yours in sleeves?

I get mine from this place..

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp

These guys carry all kinds of sleeves..CD cases, dividers..ect ect..

yes,it's been a while,but I bought a bunch of these,from Licorice Pizza(remember them?) years ago,and put most of my collection in them,

oh and BTW,I saw Marshall tucker 2 nights in a row at the "Palomino Club" in the late 80's,great stuff.pretty much one of my fav bands.

(LOL,just ignore the foot shot)

Vinyl is to CDROM like the Hammond B3 is to Korg.

ps - I saw marshal Tucker at Englishtown w/ NRPS and the Dead, MT was awesome.

Vinyl sounds great on a high end system, but really sarcks on a low end system. A real treat are those special release vinyl lps made from the master disks, the sound gets better after 5-10 plays and stays there for a long time, Good examples were Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or Abbey Road.

As for some low end systems, a vinyl can sound really great when pumped through a LOUD PA system with early seventies JBL woofers and Altec tweeters at around 250-500 amps!
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

"DJs are greatly responsible for the survival of the vinyls, which are used for spinning at clubs despite the introduction of CD spin tables several years ago."

I used to DJ a lot of house parties back in late high school early college days. Even though I mostly bought new release electronic music, I have also accumulated quite the collection of old classic/southern rock, oldies, classical, 80's pop, etc etc.. My most prized record is an original Nat King Cole release that is supposedly the first record ever released in stereo sound; although, I haven't had a professional verify that for me.

Overall, I'm a vinyl junkie for life.. To me, they are time capsules with no expiration.. In fact, I probably have just as much vinyl as I do CD's.

Ebay is a great source for old records or sometimes rare stuff, but like Downhill mentioned, its best to make sure to contact the seller before making any final decisions b/c the condition of the vinyl can vary from one extreme to the other..

Otherwise for new release electronic music & for vinyl supplies & accessories, I still shop at www.satelliterecords.com all the time.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

One other aspect of collecting vinyl I've not mentioned.

Value....Just about any record that's in mint- condition is worth at least 20 bucks.

Of course my collection hasn't kept up with inflation but I sacrificed to get this big a collection...

Same with CD's.

What's next? Hirez...Finally something to match the sound quality of vinyl. Too bad both formats available today are struggling..