Thread: Cable Speeds. Darn! Does everyone have insane connection speeds but me?

Doomz

Question Cable Speeds. Darn! Does everyone have insane connection speeds but me?

Sheesh! My eyes are burning...

I keep seeing all these INSANE speeds some people are getting with their cable connection! (Congratulations to you! I hope you stay ultra fast!) Downloading at 250-600k per second....80 times faster than 56 k, I can only dream!!!

I'd like to know if there are any other people (like myself) who have cable modem and get "slower" (hehehe) speeds of about a 500k - 1 megabit connection? (that is download speeds of approx. 50-100k/sec) give or take.

Is it just me or do I feel left out ?

Let us "slow" cable connections speak out!

blebs99

Yeah we're out here all right! I just don't have a copy of my speed right now to post but, I'm much slower than those "blazing speeds" you see posted. Darn that makes me jealous-Hate when that happens. I'm 37 to 47 times faster then dial up and occassionally hit 50, but not often.

[This message has been edited by blebs99 (edited 01-19-2001).]

@homesux

Angry

Try only being 4times faster, Sux to have @home in the St. Louis area.

Doomz

I just did a test.

17 times faster than 56k.

Well it's good enough for me and I can't complain paying $30/month for the service.

3v1l807

Yep Doomz, I get around 800 kbps usually.

jbkm

where are you all testing your bandwidth? i was just wondering b/c i need to do some tweaking to my sys and i need the sites and what not...kinda new at this! thanks

Protester

I hope you guys aren't using dslreports to test your bandwidth. I tested on the Louisiana server and got 17X faster than 56k then right after on the Cali. server and got 68X faster than 56k and I am on the east coast. These results basically made me consider dslreports useless.

Doomz

Protester,

I hear ya.

It still remains a mystery..

Protester

Doomz post a tracert.
    Open up the Dos prompt and type:
    tracert www.yahoo.com
    and post the results.

[This message has been edited by Protester (edited 01-19-2001).]

Storm90

Talking

Yes protester is right about dls reports.Try Net stay alive from www.analogx.com It is a software program that is free. Just install it on your machine and it will tell you your correct speed. I myself think it is more accurate then any of the speedtest on the internet. Due to they will very depending how far away you are from them. Hope this helps you out.

DM0nEy

I get 95-120x faster than a 56k speed on a normal basic. I download anywhere from 500-750 k/s.

dannjr

Here now you can say your not alone. Thers a few thousand people in Chicago that have to put up with this...
    The main reason I have DSL
    http://www.primecablechi.com/internet_pricing.htm

------------------
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">THE WORLDS THINNEST BOOK: Things I can't afford - by Bill Gates</font>
    Chicago Microsystems
    dannjr@microsyspro.com
    Speedguide has a great search engine

jlwggns

gmcd33 does that work out to 4,227,073 kbps?

Doomz

Dannjr,

That Primecable is really a rip!

$80 a month for a 1 way 1mbps connection with a download limit to boot!

I pay $30/month for mine which is a 1mbps connection and no download limit.

I wonder how many people Primecable actually gets to pay those ridiculous rates?

gmcd33

$29.00 per month

Get Optimum Online