Hi Shredhead

Nice to meet You & Welcome to SG

Go here...Its Good & its Free

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

--

regards

minir

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Esets NOD32 is one of the lowest system impact antivirus programs out there. Only 39 bucks. Fastest scanning I've ever come across, by far. They have a 30 day trial if you wish to try it, very small program, uninstalls cleanly if you don't like it.

Grisofts AVG has a free edition, 7.0. It's overall system impact is pretty low, however IMO the new 7.0 is brutally long when it comes to scan time. The prior 6.0 version was darned quick.

Symantecs Corporate Edition has low system impact, however, it's really licensed for larger business networks (multi pack licenses), not for the stand alone user. So unless you have a network of 5 or more you wish to protect, it's cost prohibitive for the home user.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Hi Shredhead

As a follow up to the above you may wish to do this to help get quicker downloads and connection for Updates after you have installed AVG.

Norm who posts here figured this one out and it works well.

---

Anyone having AVG7 free edition update problems?

I was having problems getting updates for my AVG 7 free edition. It was timing out and I kept getting a disconnect error, or no connection available message.

Searching around I seem to have found a fix. Time will tell.

We need to add a line to our hosts file.

For Win9x the HOSTS file can be found in the c:\windows folder.

For Win 2K/XP the HOSTS file can be found in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc folder.

Since the windows folder is a variable the HOSTS file can be found in %system root%\system32\drivers\etc

Open notepad, go to File>Open and browse to your HOSTS file to open and edit it.

Add this line to your HOSTS file:

193.86.103.19 guru.grisoft.com

After doing this my update check, and download is very fast, so far.
    ---

regards

minir

Nod32

Kaspersky Personal 5 hands down.

For free AVG 7 FREE.

BTW, AVG 7 FREE has fixed their update issues by updating their servers so no fix is needed now.

As many of you found 'the hard way', update servers for the AVG Free Edition were really overloaded last weeks. The number of active users of the AVG Free Edition has risen dramatically in recent weeks - much more than we anticipated when the new version was released. Consequently, the update infrastructure was not able to provide sufficient capacity. Last week, update servers were serving more than 5000 users concurrently practically whole day, providing constant throughput of several MB per second. We were well aware of the problem and during the last month, we were working on improvements of the infrastructure. As you may imagine, further increase of such a capacity is not just about "turning a knob", the process was a whole lot complicated.
    I'm really glad to announce, that as of February 3rd, update server infrastructure has been moved to a different provider. Now the capacity was greatly enhanced and users of the free edition should not experience any (big) problems with update server accessibility. Of course, the AVG Free Edition still does not offer the same level of the update service as the full version - both in terms of capacity and reliability. However, we believe that the current solution will provide appropriate and acceptable functionality to all users of the AVG Free Edition.

The Grisoft Team
    Last edited by mnosteele52; 02-11-05 at 06:11 AM.