Hi. I just happened across something on SG that I find very interesting. It's this:

---

Microsoft Windows 98SE NDIS Intermediate Drivers Patch

SYMPTOMS: On a Windows 98 Second Edition-based computer that is using networking software that is implemented as a Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS) intermediate driver, one of the following symptoms may occur:

The computer may stop responding (hang) during startup or shutdown.

Your network throughput and overall network performance may gradually decrease, sometimes to the point that the computer hangs or becomes completely unresponsive to network requests.

To correct the problem with Windows 98SE computers only, download the fix below:

243199US8.EXE
Description: Microsoft Windows 98SE NDIS Intermediate Drivers Patch

OS: Windows 98SE | version: n/a | date: n/a | filesize: 216 KB

---

This sounds very familiar to what has been going on in my system for quite awhile now. The only thing is that I have Win98, not Win98SE. I wonder if there's any way to cure a Win98 machine of this problem it's not supposed to have in the first place?

It's possible I installed an upgrade at some point that did this. I know I had an old networking card that didn't survive the upgrade to 98. I had to add an update to make it work. I later gave up on that card anyway and put in a different one, so whatever upgrade I made is probably no longer necessary. (And the one I have now is compatible all the way back to 3.1 I believe.)

Does anyone have any clue as to how I might resolve this? Maybe just copying a better DLL file over would work?

I've also got another thing, but I'll put it in a separate post to avoid confusion.