Thread: Having problem with external HD enclosure

Smyrna, Delaware Car: 1998 Honda Accord EX Occupation: Honda Service Coordinator

Having problem with external HD enclosure

A while back I purchased a unit (in the forum here ... can't remember who I got it from) that would let me mount a HDD into it and connect it to my computer thru a USB port for the purpose of accessing files on it.

I am trying to use it now and cannot get Windows XP Home to recognize it. The unit came with a disk with drivers on it, but they were only for up to Windows ME.

The new computer has SATA for the HDD and I do not have any connectors inside to use the IDE HDD. My girlfriend needs the files that are on the old HDD and we were gonna connect it to the new computer so she had access to them.

When I look in Device Manager it shows up under Universal Serial Bus Controllers with the exclamation mark beside it (see picture below).

I have enclosed 4 pictures of what I am up against.

I am wondering if there are any generic drivers that I can get ...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Computer Info:
    Dimension 4700 Series,Intel Pentium 4 Processor 550 with HT Technology (3.4GHz)
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz
    Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelator 900
    160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    3.5in Floppy Drive
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,Service Pack 2,English
    Windows Media Player 10
    Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card
    16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Last edited by mwkirchner; 01-23-05 at 11:59 AM.
    Antec Nine Hundred case, 4GB A-Data DDR2 800 RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz, ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP MB, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 video card, ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD, Aerocool FP-01 Multifunction panel w/card reader, Zerodba 620W PSU, LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD with LightScribe SATA, Samsung CDDVDW SH-S203B SATA, Acer P241W 24" w/s monitor, Canon CanoScan LiDE 35 scanner, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

got a name for it, tried ms update? does it have a power plug or is it just usb?

I notice you list a 160GB hard drive in your computer...is this the only drive?
    Do you have another hard drive in this enclosure you got?
    if the enclosure is empty, then of course it won't work.

I'm just trying to be sure...as you dont say what hard drive is in the external enclosure. You need to take it apart, and see what's in there. Then whatever brand of hard drive, goto the manufacturers website, and download their hard drive tools.

Like I bought a Western Digital 160GB drive, and I had to use the Western Digital Data Lifeguard tools from their website, they allowed me to format the drive, and use it.

Because at first I just plugged it in, thinking it would work, but it showed up as a USB mass storage device as well since the drive wasn't formatted, it wasn't recognized.

hope this helps

Certified SG Addict
    Download and install the latest Intel chipset drivers.

Smyrna, Delaware Car: 1998 Honda Accord EX Occupation: Honda Service Coordinator
    Thank you all very much for the responses.

I actually got it to work.

I looked at the case a little closer and saw that it had the name H45 Technology Corporation on it so I did the old GOOGLE thing and low and behold they had a website. Found an XP driver. DLd it and the drive came to life.

Thank you all for the help.
    Antec Nine Hundred case, 4GB A-Data DDR2 800 RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz, ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP MB, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 video card, ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD, Aerocool FP-01 Multifunction panel w/card reader, Zerodba 620W PSU, LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD with LightScribe SATA, Samsung CDDVDW SH-S203B SATA, Acer P241W 24" w/s monitor, Canon CanoScan LiDE 35 scanner, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.