Thread: What is your threshold?

What is your threshold?

Well, recently I've been circumventing various PC components from slightly aged computers, and putting whatever I find decent enough together so I can fold with them.

Latest addition being a 733MHz PIII. Should fold nicely.

What is the lowest you'd consider worth spending the energy and space on as far as folding efficiency is concerned?
    Last edited by Joel; 01-21-05 at 02:59 AM.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

Quote Originally Posted by Joel
    Well, recently I've been circumventing various PC components from slightly aged computers, and putting whatever I find decent enough together so I can fold with them.

Latest addition being a 733MHz PIII. Should fold nicely.

What is the lowest you'd consider worth spending the energy and space on as far as folding efficience is concerned?
    Thats probably the lowest Id go. I have a couple of 500's and its real slow

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

i had a P-3 500 box that i used to fold on, was slow but would meet the time limit, the hard drive finally died so it is off line for now.

i was thinking about running that CD based BSD operating system on it but haven't got around to it, don't really want to invest in another hard drive for it just yet.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I pulled out and discared all my PII units.....they simply don't produce anything in time. Even considering pulling my dual PIII 500 Dell PowerEdge, I just don't see worthy progress on it anymore. Even my dual PIII 750 running at 825 seems to barely get jobs done. 1141 project was 2 hours for each step on that rig. So I'd have to say somewhere around the 700Mhz PIII range lately as the minimum.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I have a couple of PIII units folding but they just a little boost to my scores every once in a while. I count on P4's for most of my work. I wouldn't go lower than a higher-end PIII.

The ghost in the machine striker8000's Avatar
    P3 1.0, no less

I've got two of 'em plugging along, my real scorer (probably 80% of my WU's) is an xp2800

I didn't even bother reinstalling on my laptop (p3 500), just too slow for what's coming out now

Jeff
    still folding away, haven't been on as much lately

Basically I think everyone is on the right track.

When work units were small you could get away with some of the older, slower cpu's finishing a work unit in a day or two. But, now that even on 2.0+GHz cpu's it's taking 4-5 days to complete a work unit, the 3-4 WEEKS required on a slower cpu is just not worth it. The additional electricity need to run the pc that long for the results would be better saved and put forth on a faster cpu.

I'm tooling back up, but I'm now making the decision of not restarting any cpu thats slower than 2.0GHz and HT at that.

So if anyone wants some 1.4-1.8GHz motherboards and cpu drop me a line.

Tks
    Rick
    Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.