Thread: Odd New and Current CPU Problem...

Odd New and Current CPU Problem...

Hi, well it all started with an AMD Athlon XP "Barton" 3000+ which I had a problem with as described here.

So I returned that, and got this. Same FSB as current 2100+ so it should be all good. I put it in, and the computer spits out beeps...high pitched beep...then a low pitched beep...over and over and over again before I have to turn the computer off. The CPU fan and the system fan all stop working too...the only thing receiving power was the speaker from what it sounded like.

I return that CPU assuming it was the CPU and ordered another from zipzoomfly.com. A 2400+ Athlon XP clocking at about 2 ghz which can be seen here .

So I get this CPU and put it in, and same exact problem occurs so I go through clearing the CMOS, taking sticks of RAM out, etc and nothing works. So I take it out, and put my 2100+ back in and then I go to the BIOS, change the FSB settig to what it was, 166mhz, and then save and restart. Windows begins to load and at the Windows2k startup screen with the blue bar at the bottom loading...the computer shuts itself off, well the fans and HDs as far as I can hear, and the speaker begins its beeping again until I turn it off. I restart the computer, and it loads everthing again but same thing happens at the Windows screen. I go back into the BIOS, cahnge the FSB to 100 and now it seems to be working just fine, only at a lesser speed. It is clocked at 1.3ghz when it should be around 1.7-1.8ghz.

I know this has to do with the FSB but why does it not allow 166mhz anymore? Did I fry something on my mobo?

There are also no jumpers to be changed as I've been through my manual almost 40 times already.

Anyone? I really need this fixed if anyone could help. Thanks.

what mobo is on, and what are the default ratings for the CPU, and what memory are you useing ?

when you set the fsb manualy you need to set the multiplier to the right setting as well, also lock the AGP bus to 66MHz.

also when you clear the cmos, i pull the battery for a few minutes, it seems to help.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~Vega64~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~4TB storage~6.4TB-ioMemorycard~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats

My mobo is MSI KT4AV series with 1 stick of 256mb PC2100, 1 stick PC21000 512mb and one stick 512mb PC4000. The FSB was and has always been on 133 before I needed to change it, and the multiplier, again, was and always hass been on Auto, so could that still be the problem?

I didn't take the battery out, so maybe I might give that a shot tomorrow afternoon.

I think I am also going to look into getting some thermal compound to make sure it's not a heat issue.

PC2100 ain't gonna run at a 166 FSB! PC2100 runs at 133. For that processor you should be running it at 133 FSB x 15 mulitiplier.

Take everything out but the 512mb stick of PC2100, go into the bios and set the FSB to 133 and the multi to 15, then boot up.

Oops, I wrote that it was at 166mhz, it was actually running at 133mhz, but now it won't even run at 133mhz.

Okay so we know the FSB is set to 133. What multi are you using now?

It is on Auto right now which it's always been.

Manually set that sucker to 15x. That will give 2ghz (133 x 15).

The only other thing I can think of is that you are incorrectly installing the heatsink (maybe backwards) and not getting full contact with the cpu or the HSF is not spinning, which would explain why the comp runs when it's downclocked, but not at higher speeds.

If that doesn't work, I would trash that mobo and get an nForce2. That's the best chipset for the XPs anyway.

Wait.

"Look into getting some thermal compound."
    Does this imply that you currently do not have any? Is the stock thermal pad on there, or is it just plain metal?

If so, get some freaking thermal compound ASAP. Current processors generate so much heat it's practically impossible to dissipate all of it without something "filling in the cracks" between the CPU and heatsink. The surfaces on each are hardle 'smooth' at the level that matters most. If you do currently have something, such as stock thermal pad, you should be okay, and you can disregaurd this.

Go google and search for "Speedfan". Download it, run it, tell us what your temps are.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

Thermal compound is alredy on there, and right now the problem is with my XP 2100+ which runs at 1.7-1.8ghz, not 2ghz. The 2400+ and 3000+ I returned and just want my old CPU back to its normal speed until I get a new mobo and upgrade to a Athlon 64. Should I lower the multiplier then?

Quote Originally Posted by powerfulsquid
    Thermal compound is alredy on there, and right now the problem is with my XP 2100+ which runs at 1.7-1.8ghz, not 2ghz. The 2400+ and 3000+ I returned and just want my old CPU back to its normal speed until I get a new mobo and upgrade to a Athlon 64. Should I lower the multiplier then?
    Reset the CMOS and start from there.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5