Thread: Critique my system before I purchase....

Advanced Member

Critique my system before I purchase....

Any input appreciated; I have seen alot of people post there system specs prior to purchasing to get some input on ways to improve the system....So anyway, here is the system that I am looking to purchase:

-ASUS "P4P800-E Deluxe" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL

-ASUS ATI RADEON 9600SE Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "9600SE/TD" -RETAIL

-Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading

-2 Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD360GD, OEM Drive Only

The Raptor drives would be configured in a raid 0 striped setup. The system is going to be used for Photoshop editing work. My goal is to have a stable system with speed in mind. What would you change/add????

This system as is runs about $600 without memory....which brings up the next question...I have been using Crucial memory for a while on my other rigs and never had a problem with it, what do you suggest for memory? Am I on key with Crucial, or should I go with another brand like Corsair or Kingston?

I am trying to keep the total system cost around $800 (I already have a case and power supply)......

Ok, let me have it.... :2cool:
    Fee was a buddhist prodigy...
    Long past the age of maturity...
    Someday he knew it would set him free...
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

Sounds pretty good. My brothers P4 (2.8C @ 3.46) runs PS pretty well, the hyperthreading seems to help out.

If you can, get something not "SE" with the video card. Go for just a 9600, or a 9600 pro. Maybe look into Refurbished ones, NewEgg is particularly good about refurbs. Never had a problem.

As far as RAM. Obviously, you'll want atleast a 1GB (PS is a wh0r3 m0nk3y about that). I've found this stuff to be pretty good RAM. I have 2x256 in my parents computer, bought PC2700, running at 340MHZ / 2-2-3-5, extremely stable. It seems to be growing in popularity as well. Highly recommended.

Might I suggest some extra cooling perhaps? I'm not possitive how the E cores OC, but I'd imagine it'd go to 3.4GHz, correct? That is, of course, while keeping absolute stability (my brothers computer, from 2.8 to 3.46 on stock cooling, no voltage adjustment, is stable as a rock. Of course, it's a C core, running cooler than an E core).
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

I agree about the radeon.

dont bother raid0'ing the raptors, you really dont see any improvement over a striaght up raptor. (I've run both ways)

You can pick up ram from outpost VERY cheap on a regular basis, keep your eyes open.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Quote Originally Posted by zooner
    I agree about the radeon.

dont bother raid0'ing the raptors, you really dont see any improvement over a striaght up raptor. (I've run both ways)

You can pick up ram from outpost VERY cheap on a regular basis, keep your eyes open.
    Here's a question.

2x36 vs 1x74?
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Stick with the Crucial. I'd also go with a 9600Pro myself, but I'm not biased or anything.

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel
    Here's a question.

2x36 vs 1x74?

Are you recommending that I go with 1 74 gig Raptor as opposed to 2x36?

Or are you wondering what the difference in performance is?
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

I too have the 9600 Pro, still runs like a champ, All I did was put some AS3 under the stock GPU HSF and put RAMsinks on, well, the RAM

Never let me down yet! Great card and no mistake!!

Quote Originally Posted by tdog9988
    Are you recommending that I go with 1 74 gig Raptor as opposed to 2x36?

Or are you wondering what the difference in performance is?
    Well, kind of. I've heard things suggesting you'll get better performance out of a single 74GB than dual 36 in RAID. I think it depends on the use. Keep in mind, PS uses a good ammount of page file, dual 36GB not RAIDed may be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman
    I too have the 9600 Pro, still runs like a champ, All I did was put some AS3 under the stock GPU HSF and put RAMsinks on, well, the RAM

Never let me down yet! Great card and no mistake!!
    I have a 9600XT, great card.

Advanced Member
    hmm...ok I may axe the raid setup and go with a 74 gig Raptor as primary drive, then the other drives as storage. The 9600 pro is sounding pretty good to.
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...