Thread: Hard drive files recover

Hard drive files recover

Hi,
    Recently I got the program that can recover all the files from the files from the BAD HD and the name of that program is " File Scavenger 2.1" but there is a problem
    - the HD that I want to recover the OS doesn't work( please dont ask me why...don't know). Therefore the file scavenger could not start. but this one need to start on the HD that have problem
    If anybody know how to do this please help.

ps. if I start the file scavenger on the good HD to recover the file from bad HD it will erase the OS of the good HD after it done.
    if I run the file scavenger on the floppy dsk and run in on the bad HD it won't work becasue the OS HD could not start by itself. Please help

Quote Originally Posted by ntvh
    Hi,
    Recently I got the program that can recover all the files from the files from the BAD HD and the name of that program is " File Scavenger 2.1" but there is a problem
    - the HD that I want to recover the OS doesn't work( please dont ask me why...don't know). Therefore the file scavenger could not start. but this one need to start on the HD that have problem
    If anybody know how to do this please help.

ps. if I start the file scavenger on the good HD to recover the file from bad HD it will erase the OS of the good HD after it done.
    if I run the file scavenger on the floppy dsk and run in on the bad HD it won't work becasue the OS HD could not start by itself. Please help
    There are 2 versions of File scavenger. 1 is Floppy Bootable and 1 is windows based.
    Anyway You need a GOOD Drive to recover the bad drive to. It will not extract the data to the Source drive.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Would you please show me how to do that? Because the BAd drive could not start by itself. I put the File Scavenger on floppy ( program for floppy dks). How do I make it bootable? Thanks

Would you please show me how to do that? Because the BAd drive could not start by itself. I put the File Scavenger on floppy ( program for floppy dks). How do I make it bootable? Thanks

Well first of all, Get your New Good Hard disk installed as master.
    I would disconnect the OLD hard disk and set the new drive up under windows XP. Once its done and u are ready to restore, reconnect the old drive , then I would use the File Scavenger for Windows.

You have 3 options, 1 for Raid Drives, 1 for Drives that have been wiped out(Formatted or Fdisked), and 1 for regular scan....then you choose the drive to scan, then you choose a directory to restore to and start the scan. Make a folder on your C drive called OLD HD before you start the recovery because it doesnt make new folders.

Pie
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

That what I did and anytime I do about 1/2 old hd transferr to new one after that the C could not start any more . I turn on it ..it say don't have system file??? Don't know why? so confusseeeeeeeeeeee

That what I did and anytime I do about 1/2 old hd transferr to new one after that the C could not start any more . I turn on it ..it say don't have system file??? Don't know why? so confusseeeeeeeeeeee
    Well are you recovering the files to the C:\ drive or to C:\hold

Dont recover to the ROOT DRIVE.

Pie

Here are how I do it.
    1- using another HD as a C drive which has filescavener sw on it
    2- D is the HD that I want to recover.
    3- turn on the Program from C then start the File Scavenger Sw that sw will as me which HD I want to recover and where to save them. ( I select save them on C:\\ My Document\ Recover.
    4- select all the option then go from there... But it seem like after recover from D and select where to put it then everything go wrong could not start from C any more. Computer keep ask me no system file.... Don't know why. It happen 4 times already. Any ideas
    what do you mean don't recover from the ROOT DRIVE? is it C drive or which one? THX

Here are how I do it.
    1- using another HD as a C drive which has filescavener sw on it
    2- D is the HD that I want to recover.
    3- turn on the Program from C then start the File Scavenger Sw that sw will as me which HD I want to recover and where to save them. ( I select save them on C:\\ My Document\ Recover.
    4- select all the option then go from there... But it seem like after recover from D and select where to put it then everything go wrong could not start from C any more. Computer keep ask me no system file.... Don't know why. It happen 4 times already. Any ideas
    what do you mean don't recover from the ROOT DRIVE? is it C drive or which one? THX
    It sounds like you are recovering the files directly to the C:\ directory (Root drive) or else why would the system keep getting corrupted. Sounds like you are overwriting the system files. Make sure the c:\Documents & settings\USERNAME\My documents\recover actually exists...it will not Make the directory for you.

Pie

I'm using windows 2000 I set up the recover folder in My Documment. Have no ideal why it recover the system files on C those when I specific select on D drive only. Any idea great helper? Will try tonight one more time see what happen. How do I see the diff between system file and application file? Thank

I tried and it is the same. I still run into problem and it gave me the message need to run Chkdsk ultility. Shut down system and restart it gave me the error message Error Loading OS? Would you please show me how to fix this problem?

Eject the floppy in the floppy drive.

If the system Boots up fine the first time and then after you do a file restore it does not..More then likely you are doing something wrong. Go back over all your settings and double check that you are not restoring to the C:\ drive root or the C:\windows directory

I set up to restore to C:/Doc and setting/ my name/my doc/recover file. I chked my setting so many time> I 'm using file scavengen 2.1 Rev 14. don't know what happened. do I have to select specific file or just set like this " * " at the search?
    Thanks
    Last edited by ntvh; 01-25-05 at 06:15 AM.

Hi,

Try Active@ Undelete. It plays really cool. This software supports many OS types and file systems. It has some effective recover algorithms, so it is best chance to recover. You can get it here: http://www.active-undelete.com/undelete.htm

Pie is awesome.

Just making sure we're all on the same page here.