Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Hard drive files recover

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    403

    Hard drive files recover

    Hi,
    Recently I got the program that can recover all the files from the files from the BAD HD and the name of that program is " File Scavenger 2.1" but there is a problem
    - the HD that I want to recover the OS doesn't work( please dont ask me why...don't know). Therefore the file scavenger could not start. but this one need to start on the HD that have problem
    If anybody know how to do this please help.

    ps. if I start the file scavenger on the good HD to recover the file from bad HD it will erase the OS of the good HD after it done.
    if I run the file scavenger on the floppy dsk and run in on the bad HD it won't work becasue the OS HD could not start by itself. Please help

  2. #2
    P/T Pagan God thepieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn , New York
    Posts
    13,400
    Quote Originally Posted by ntvh
    Hi,
    Recently I got the program that can recover all the files from the files from the BAD HD and the name of that program is " File Scavenger 2.1" but there is a problem
    - the HD that I want to recover the OS doesn't work( please dont ask me why...don't know). Therefore the file scavenger could not start. but this one need to start on the HD that have problem
    If anybody know how to do this please help.

    ps. if I start the file scavenger on the good HD to recover the file from bad HD it will erase the OS of the good HD after it done.
    if I run the file scavenger on the floppy dsk and run in on the bad HD it won't work becasue the OS HD could not start by itself. Please help
    There are 2 versions of File scavenger. 1 is Floppy Bootable and 1 is windows based.
    Anyway You need a GOOD Drive to recover the bad drive to. It will not extract the data to the Source drive.


    Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    *
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    *
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    403
    Would you please show me how to do that? Because the BAd drive could not start by itself. I put the File Scavenger on floppy ( program for floppy dks). How do I make it bootable? Thanks

  4. #4
    P/T Pagan God thepieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn , New York
    Posts
    13,400
    Quote Originally Posted by ntvh
    Would you please show me how to do that? Because the BAd drive could not start by itself. I put the File Scavenger on floppy ( program for floppy dks). How do I make it bootable? Thanks

    Well first of all, Get your New Good Hard disk installed as master.
    I would disconnect the OLD hard disk and set the new drive up under windows XP. Once its done and u are ready to restore, reconnect the old drive , then I would use the File Scavenger for Windows.

    You have 3 options, 1 for Raid Drives, 1 for Drives that have been wiped out(Formatted or Fdisked), and 1 for regular scan....then you choose the drive to scan, then you choose a directory to restore to and start the scan. Make a folder on your C drive called OLD HD before you start the recovery because it doesnt make new folders.


    Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    *
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    *
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    403
    That what I did and anytime I do about 1/2 old hd transferr to new one after that the C could not start any more . I turn on it ..it say don't have system file??? Don't know why? so confusseeeeeeeeeeee

  6. #6
    P/T Pagan God thepieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn , New York
    Posts
    13,400
    Quote Originally Posted by ntvh
    That what I did and anytime I do about 1/2 old hd transferr to new one after that the C could not start any more . I turn on it ..it say don't have system file??? Don't know why? so confusseeeeeeeeeeee
    Well are you recovering the files to the C:\ drive or to C:\hold

    Dont recover to the ROOT DRIVE.


    Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    *
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    *
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    403
    Here are how I do it.
    1- using another HD as a C drive which has filescavener sw on it
    2- D is the HD that I want to recover.
    3- turn on the Program from C then start the File Scavenger Sw that sw will as me which HD I want to recover and where to save them. ( I select save them on C:\\ My Document\ Recover.
    4- select all the option then go from there... But it seem like after recover from D and select where to put it then everything go wrong could not start from C any more. Computer keep ask me no system file.... Don't know why. It happen 4 times already. Any ideas
    what do you mean don't recover from the ROOT DRIVE? is it C drive or which one? THX

  8. #8
    P/T Pagan God thepieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn , New York
    Posts
    13,400
    Quote Originally Posted by ntvh
    Here are how I do it.
    1- using another HD as a C drive which has filescavener sw on it
    2- D is the HD that I want to recover.
    3- turn on the Program from C then start the File Scavenger Sw that sw will as me which HD I want to recover and where to save them. ( I select save them on C:\\ My Document\ Recover.
    4- select all the option then go from there... But it seem like after recover from D and select where to put it then everything go wrong could not start from C any more. Computer keep ask me no system file.... Don't know why. It happen 4 times already. Any ideas
    what do you mean don't recover from the ROOT DRIVE? is it C drive or which one? THX
    It sounds like you are recovering the files directly to the C:\ directory (Root drive) or else why would the system keep getting corrupted. Sounds like you are overwriting the system files. Make sure the c:\Documents & settings\USERNAME\My documents\recover actually exists...it will not Make the directory for you.


    Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    *
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    *
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    403
    I'm using windows 2000 I set up the recover folder in My Documment. Have no ideal why it recover the system files on C those when I specific select on D drive only. Any idea great helper? Will try tonight one more time see what happen. How do I see the diff between system file and application file? Thank

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    403
    I tried and it is the same. I still run into problem and it gave me the message need to run Chkdsk ultility. Shut down system and restart it gave me the error message Error Loading OS? Would you please show me how to fix this problem?

  11. #11
    Elite Member ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,599
    Eject the floppy in the floppy drive.

  12. #12
    P/T Pagan God thepieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn , New York
    Posts
    13,400
    If the system Boots up fine the first time and then after you do a file restore it does not..More then likely you are doing something wrong. Go back over all your settings and double check that you are not restoring to the C:\ drive root or the C:\windows directory
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    *
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    *
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    403
    I set up to restore to C:/Doc and setting/ my name/my doc/recover file. I chked my setting so many time> I 'm using file scavengen 2.1 Rev 14. don't know what happened. do I have to select specific file or just set like this " * " at the search?
    Thanks
    Last edited by ntvh; 01-25-05 at 06:15 AM.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2
    Hi,

    Try Active@ Undelete. It plays really cool. This software supports many OS types and file systems. It has some effective recover algorithms, so it is best chance to recover. You can get it here: http://www.active-undelete.com/undelete.htm

  15. #15
    Murders & Executions Cypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Returning video tapes
    Posts
    2,717
    Pie is awesome.

    Just making sure we're all on the same page here.

Similar Threads

  1. Help I think there's something wrong with my hard drive
    By hiimwayne in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-03, 07:01 PM
  2. Softwares ?
    By tothing in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-09-03, 07:32 PM
  3. Transfering Files between 2 Hard Drives
    By DIDS in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-02, 07:54 PM
  4. Clean up the hidden files on your hard drive to improve online privacy.
    By deksecurity in forum Broadband Tweaks Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-01, 12:39 AM
  5. Copying files from hard drive to hard drive
    By TinyTim in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-01, 04:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •