Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally took the plunge into the DVD-Writer world ...

Smyrna, Delaware Car: 1998 Honda Accord EX Occupation: Honda Service Coordinator

Finally took the plunge into the DVD-Writer world ...

I have been wanting one for a while ... and I finally made the plunge. I read and read and read and think that I came up with a good candidate.

It is an LG GSA-4163B 16x All-Format DVD Writer ... 8.5 GB DVD+R Double Layer

Here are some of the specs on it:

Write Speed (DVD)

* DVD+R: 16x
    * DVD-R: 16x
    * DVD+R9: 4x
    * DVD+RW: 8x
    * DVD-RW: 6x

Write Speed (CD)

* CD-R: 40x
    * CD-RW: 24x

Read Speed

* DVD±R: 10x
    * DVD±RW: 8x
    * DVD+R DL: 8x
    * DVD-ROM: 16x
    * CD: 40x (6000KB/s)

Readable Formats (DVD)

* DVD single/ dual layer (PTP/ OTP)
    * DVD-R (3.9GB/ 4.7GB)
    * DVD-R multi-borders
    * DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions
    * DVD-RW
    * DVD+RW
    * DVD-RAM

Readable Formats (CD)

* CD-DA
    * CD-ROM
    * CD-ROM/XA
    * CD-R
    * CD-RW
    * CD-I FMV
    * Mixed Mode
    * CD-Extra
    * CD Text
    * Photo CD
    * Video CD

Here is a shot of the unit I purchased:

Here is a link to a good review about it:

DVD WRITER REVIEW
    Last edited by mwkirchner; 01-06-05 at 10:24 PM.
    Antec Nine Hundred case, 4GB A-Data DDR2 800 RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz, ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP MB, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 video card, ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD, Aerocool FP-01 Multifunction panel w/card reader, Zerodba 620W PSU, LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD with LightScribe SATA, Samsung CDDVDW SH-S203B SATA, Acer P241W 24" w/s monitor, Canon CanoScan LiDE 35 scanner, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

Time to join Netflix!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Smyrna, Delaware Car: 1998 Honda Accord EX Occupation: Honda Service Coordinator
    Actually a little late ... we have over 850 DVDs to date
    Antec Nine Hundred case, 4GB A-Data DDR2 800 RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz, ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP MB, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 video card, ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD, Aerocool FP-01 Multifunction panel w/card reader, Zerodba 620W PSU, LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD with LightScribe SATA, Samsung CDDVDW SH-S203B SATA, Acer P241W 24" w/s monitor, Canon CanoScan LiDE 35 scanner, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

I would burn all of them and sell the originals, would make a nice profit.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

But that is not legal ... is it?

I have had some close friends say they would pay me $5.00 per DVD if I would make them for them. I have DVD X COPY that is the original ... WITH the ripper software in it. I may try a couple and see how they turn out.

disabled account
    It is a good unit, along with the new Plextor. The Pioneer 109 will be released any day. It does 6X with DL, aside from that it is roughly the same. Alas DL media is still a bit high.

david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

might i suggest dvd decrypter and/or dvdshrink for your backup needs? Both of them are freeware and perform amazingly.

If you have nero installed, I would suggest dvdshrink because it slipstreams with nero. It rips the disc and automatically brings up nero to burn it.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Quote Originally Posted by zooner
    might i suggest dvd decrypter and/or dvdshrink for your backup needs? Both of them are freeware and perform amazingly.

If you have nero installed, I would suggest dvdshrink because it slipstreams with nero. It rips the disc and automatically brings up nero to burn it.

link please!

DVD X copy works great...no need to bother with the others if you have that.

i will second this idea, works great
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

disabled account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow
    DVD X copy works great...no need to bother with the others if you have that.
    indeed
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

I used to swear by DVDXCOPY... nothing compares to dvdshrink. I have dvd shrink and Nero 6 Ultra if someone would like to try it. The instructions to use this (initial setup may be intimidating to some, but it's easy) are at dvdshrink.org

Love the drive man, I want to get a new one. I have the dual format Sony.

www.dvdshrink.org
    www.dvddecrypter.com

it's amazing, the best programs are often free.

www.dvdshrink.org
    www.dvddecrypter.com

it's amazing, the best programs are often free.

just curious how long is the entire process to use those programs and burn lets say a 2 hour movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
    just curious how long is the entire process to use those programs and burn lets say a 2 hour movie?
    between 20-40 minutes to rip it and then 8-20 minutes to burn it.

between 20-40 minutes to rip it and then 8-20 minutes to burn it.

i am tempted to get this...

do you think i will still need my original cd burner/dvd player all in one LG?

Or I can just replace it with this?

it not a biggie..just dont want to push my power supply too much especially with the 6800GT

i am tempted to get this...

do you think i will still need my original cd burner/dvd player all in one LG?

Or I can just replace it with this?

it not a biggie..just dont want to push my power supply too much especially with the 6800GT
    I only use my nec3500, dropped all other optical drives.

I did have power issues with my 6800gt and it was causing freeze-ups and blue screens. I pulled everything out, cleaned it and then re-arranged how the power was fed; that fixed the problem. I am running 6 80mm fans, 4 HD's and a bunch of other fun things through a 430watt antec truepower.

I'd leave both in if I was you, if you have problems, you can always pull it out.

why leave both in? Because then you can do one click burning. It should read it on the dvd/cdrw and automatically burn it on the dvdrw. This allows you to either game while the whole process is taking place or at least walk away.

Certified SG Addict
    Um, okay?

Yeah I only got one hard drive and 2 fans...and the cd burner all in one drive..

i should be ok

Yeah I only got one drive and 2 fans...and the cd burner all in one drive..

i should be ok
    without a doubt, you're certainly clear for takeoff!!

I highly recommend the nec3500 or the nec3520. Not only are they very cheap (60-70), but they kick arse. I've owned at least 5 dvdrw drivers and this blows anything else I've owned away, period.

post it up when you get it, i'm interested how it all works out for you.