Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Muslim Nations Stingy with Tsunami Aid'

Certified SG Addict

Post 'Muslim Nations Stingy with Tsunami Aid'

Discuss...and spare the partisan "well, it's Limbaugh" blah blah garbage.

Muslim Nations Stingy with Tsunami Aid

The establishment press has been dutifully chronicling the disaster relief contributions of Western nations in the wake of the South Asia tsunami disaster, where victims were overwhelmingly Muslim.

But almost nobody seems concerned about how Muslim nations themselves are doing in the tsunami aid competition.

Top radio talker Rush Limbaugh stepped into the breach on Tuesday, detailing for his audience the relatively stingy response from brother nations. Saudi Arabia - $10 million. "That's like an afternoon shopping spree in Paris for a member of the Saudi royal family," noted Limbaugh.

Iran pledged a puny $627,000 - a small fraction of what they're spending on their nuclear weapons program.

Wildly wealthy Qatar - just $10 million of their petrodollars.

The United Arab Emirates - $2.6 million.

Kuwait - $2 million.

Libya - $2 million.

Turkey - $1.25 million.

Compare that to the $350 million in government aid pledged by the Great Satan (America), not to mention hundreds of millions more from private U.S. donors.

Surely U.N. officials will be calling a press conference any minute now to complain that wealthy Muslim nations are being too stingy with relief dollars.

Source:
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...4/124700.shtml

The U.N. is corrupt...of course they hate us..and will do anything to make us look bad..

Lets not forget oil for food program UN batched up

I say so ****ing what, everybody give what u want, if anyone complains then maybe they dont need any donations at all.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    I say so ****ing what, everybody give what u want, if anyone complains then maybe they dont need any donations at all.
    QFT

SG Enthusiast
    Did anyone notice what Taiwan and PRC did??

why does stuff like this always have to be measured

whoever gives the highest amount is the better country? what?

why can't relief aid just be given and people accept it and be nice and stop arguing over who is giving the most money

its very childish

A donation is a donation period...
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

These places have problems of their own. I think we should be grateful that they're donating anything at all and just move on with life.

Why don't you factor in that the GDP per capita of most of of these countries is but a small fraction of America - and the ones in which it isn't are tiny contries anyhow? What about that per capita America has one of the *lowest* western ongoing aid contributions. Even less than New Zealand?

What about that they're muslim- hardly renowned for aid contributions? Dwelling on who's donating what is silly- lets work instead on encouraging the ongoing donations to all the other people who have died in the last 2 weeks frompreventable causes other than the tsunami.
    Australian Regular Army and proud of it.

It's a newsmax article and part of the national echo...and blah blah blah.....

Agrees with Brent...Giving aid is just that...It shouldn't be something measured...

Did a little quick maths-

Saudia arabia - $10 million in aid

US gdp - 37.8k
    SA - 11.8k

ratio of 3.2 - that gives us 32m

US pop - 296m
    SA pop - 25m

ratio of 11.84 - that gives us 379 million

In short- based on the countries financial status and size, the Saudias have given comparitively *more* than America. The clown who wrote the original article almost certainly knew that, they just chose to ignore that in favour of bashing an arab country for giving aid.
    Australian Regular Army and proud of it.

to me the point is the UN complained about us in the beginning..waving their fingers...now we have contributed over 350 million...now why arent they hollering about countries like saudia arabia which is rich?

i really wish we just pull out of the U.N. and tell them to they are on their own

Vinnie,

That's junk math. "Comparitively" and "per capita" do not mean anything. Because they can't buy anything with those numbers. The only number that really counts is the one used to fund food and blankets. The raw dollars/dinars/rubles/pesos/euros.

Everything else is simply statistical horsecrap. You can argue that the netherlands gives far more per capita than the US does. But out here in the real world, the US donates about 7000 times as much grain.

That's the real difference in tonnages.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
    to me the point is the UN complained about us in the beginning..waving their fingers...now we have contributed over 350 million...now why arent they hollering about countries like saudia arabia which is rich?

i really wish we just pull out of the U.N. and tell them to they are on their own

Umm....that's also part of the national echo...The fact is...Jan England's remark wasn't just directed at the US but to all "rich" nations...

He's since apologized for it. Also....I don't think he speakes for ALL of the UN. After all, we too have a voice there.

When Jan Egeland, United Nations emergency relief coordinator, said at a Dec. 27 press conference on the South Asia tsunami relief efforts that the world's wealthiest countries were "stingy" toward the world's poorest countries, both President Bush and Secretary of State Colin L. Powell took offense.

Bush said Egeland was "misguided and ill-informed." Powell said the U.S. had "nothing to be embarrassed about" in its response to the South Asia catastrophe.

Their defensiveness was curious because Egeland was not talking about the U.S. funding of tsunami relief efforts when he used the S-word.

"Christmas time should remind many Western countries at least how rich we have become," said Egeland, a Norwegian. "And if actually the foreign assistance of many countries now is 0.1 or 0.2 percent of their gross national income, I think that is stingy really."
    But then after he said it...the world mobilized...No?

Anyhooooo...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Jan4.html

well, seeing that Saudi Arabia could raise 100 million $'s for suicide terrorist families, maybe they could do better for the families of all their domestic servants.

echo away!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy
    A donation is a donation period...

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    I say so ****ing what, everybody give what u want, .

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker
    well, seeing that Saudi Arabia could raise 100 million $'s for suicide terrorist families, maybe they could do better for the families of all their domestic servants.

echo away!!!!!!!
    You see, that isn't the point....Are you generous? That's all that matters.

The rest is only something to get us irate since the elections are over and it's how certian pundits make their money...

Most people who are really following this, already know the worlds nations ARE upping the ante...Some have already sent part of their military to assist. In fact the US was probably one of the first on the scene if not the first. The aid isn't going to get where it's needed overnight and is going to take a lot of work, and planning.

So....echo it up....in dollars, donated blood, ect ect...cus they are going to need it in the coming years instead of figuring out who's paying the most.

let's not forget the aircraft carriers etc... we have there.

no telling what that costs!

USA Govt donations:
    $350m in government donations
    12,600 personnel
    21 ships
    14 cargo planes
    90 helicopters

USA Private Citizen donations:
    $120m donated

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JC
    let's not forget the aircraft carriers etc... we have there.

no telling what that costs!
    A couple of million bucks a day and just one vessel.