Thread: Check out my new Sager 9860

Thumbs up Check out my new Sager 9860

Purchased a Sager 9860 a week or so before Christmas. I've been real busy and haven't had much chance to take and post pics..but here she is.

Digital forum link

Here's the specs on her-

17" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Active Matrix Wide Screen Display (Glossy Screen)
    3.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 HT (PLGA775) Processor w/ 1MB cache
    256MB Dedicated nVidia Video GO 6800 Graphics Card (upgradable) 16x PCI-Express
    60 GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
    1024 MB DDR SDRAM (533 MHz
    External USB Floppy Drive
    Internal 8X DVDR/RW CD-ROM Combo Drive w/ Software
    HDD RAID Settings - Off
    Built in 56k V.90 Modem
    Built in 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet / LAN Network Card
    FREE! - W-Fi Lan Card 802.11g w/ Turbo Mode (108 Mbps) + Bluetooth Combo Card
    Smart Lithium Ion Battery (12 Cells)
    No TV-Tuner
    Integrated Video Camera / 7-in-1 Card Reader / Internal Subwoofer Module
    Auto-switching AC Adapter (150W; 100-250V)
    Free Carry Case
    No Operating System Installed
    Factory 1-yr parts & labor warranty w/ lifetime technical support

If you haven't heard of Sager you should really check them out. I looked at HP, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, and even Alienware and Voodoo before deciding on this one. None of the mainstream manufacturers could offer the raw performance power of the Sager. Voodoo and AW wanted almost 2k more for a lesser system..which I thought was a joke. Sager has some forums as well here and the feedback seemed pretty solid.

I ordered mine from Discountlaptops.com and was working offshore at the time. I had soem huge hassles getting it billed correctly and had no access to a phone at the time. I was able to work it out with the sales reps at Discountlaptops (they were REALLY helpful) all through e-mail. Amazingly once my payment went through my laptop shipped the next day and was at my house 3 days later!!! no dead pixels and working flawlessly so far.

This thing is great for gaming and DVD's. The screen is really nice (reminds me of a plasma TV screen) and, of course, I don't have to worry about performance issues. Definitely check out Sager if you're looking for a high end desktop replacement.
    Last edited by Jstyr; 01-03-05 at 03:31 PM.
    spec-
    Rig #1- AMD XP 2400+, A-Bit KR7A/266, Gainward Geforce3 ti200 64mb Golden Sample, 1GB Crucial DDR, 40 gig WD HDD (7200), XP PRO, Vantec Stealth 420 PSU, Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Rig #2- P4 2.4c, Abit IC7 800 FSB /w onboard sound, Radeon 9700 Pro 128, 1 Gig Corsair 3200 XMS, Dual (SATA) 36GB WD Raptor's in RAID 0, XP Pro, Antec Truepower 400
    Rig #3-AMD Barton 2500+, Albatron KX600 (via), 1 gig Corsair 3200, Radeon 9600 Pro 128, Seagate 80 gig HD, Antec Truepower 400

I bought one from them about a year and a half ago and it died long ago.

It's still sitting in my closet. I need to call them and see if they'll do anything for me. They seem to be a nice, small family run business. I got a Christmas card from them with their picture on it.

Well.... that's one for, one not.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at them for years and I just don't ever seem to find any "real life" reviews or comments about them on the web. Thanks.

Certified SG Addict
    Too thick

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman
    I bought one from them about a year and a half ago and it died long ago.

It's still sitting in my closet. I need to call them and see if they'll do anything for me. They seem to be a nice, small family run business. I got a Christmas card from them with their picture on it.
    The one I bought had a year warranty, lifetime support. Maybe they've come a long ways since you bought yours but I didn't get the feel they were a "mom & pop" type business.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto
    Well.... that's one for, one not.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at them for years and I just don't ever seem to find any "real life" reviews or comments about them on the web. Thanks.
    Check out those forums, most comprehensive 'real-life' reviews I was able to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke
    Too thick
    That's what she said....,I would have gotten a Pentium-M, but I couldn't find one with enough graphics card to suit me. I'm sure someone out there makes them. I'm not worried about the weight or bulk though, I strictly wanted something that could replace my desktop while I'm away from home for 2 weeks. One thing that does worry me is 64bit coming up. How will my 32-bit proc effect that? How far away is 64 bit OS? I'm sort of out of the loop on that one.
    spec-
    Rig #1- AMD XP 2400+, A-Bit KR7A/266, Gainward Geforce3 ti200 64mb Golden Sample, 1GB Crucial DDR, 40 gig WD HDD (7200), XP PRO, Vantec Stealth 420 PSU, Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Rig #2- P4 2.4c, Abit IC7 800 FSB /w onboard sound, Radeon 9700 Pro 128, 1 Gig Corsair 3200 XMS, Dual (SATA) 36GB WD Raptor's in RAID 0, XP Pro, Antec Truepower 400
    Rig #3-AMD Barton 2500+, Albatron KX600 (via), 1 gig Corsair 3200, Radeon 9600 Pro 128, Seagate 80 gig HD, Antec Truepower 400