Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Un-capping not illegal

PostalBunny

One more thing I forgot to add... if you can read what I posted with the spellin errors

I work for dsl tech supp, if someone calls up and is not getting the xmit rates they are supposed to I can call Broadband and there they can program the frame relay to upgrade them to 1.5/128 instead of fixed 384/128 which is capped. I'm damn sure cable works the same way, the rr will want the ability to charge businesses for MORE bandwidth just like dsl.

Just a note, did anyone get his "sniffer" logs? Cuz I don't believe that they exist. What he may have been hearing is similar to a tool we have here that checks to see if your modem has SYNC (the cable light is green, or dsl light for us). Also, a ATM ping tool which sends a packet to the redback (router) and gets bounced back if you're not setup on the router or gets sent to the modem and back. Usefull tool to see if someone has been "provisioned" or setup on the router correctly (when they have sync but get timeouts while trying to connect).

Lightbulb

How knows John he must have plenty of free time on his hands and maybe he is the "Keeper of the Keys".......

martialcomp

Smile

Hey, Violent (guess that is what they call you in state prison) it is a little late for April fools jokes. I do have to give you credit for starting one of the most interesting threads ever on this board. You should start a new topic. It should be titled "I can prove the Earth is flat!". And, since you have gone off the deep end, you probably really do think the Earth is flat.

spock

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NeoGuyver:
    [B]spock: The reason they can't send the codes, is because thats EXACTLY what violent blocked out. By going into his diagnostic mode, the modem rejects the information about the CAP from the headend.

Right I understand that Neoguyver your point, however I'm sure a good programmer that works for RR (or hired by) could write scripts for the head end to reject any signals from a modem that "blocks" these codes or modems that do not receive these codes that cap the Full Freq. bandwith going to the modem. If the codes aren't received, then the modem does not get a response from the head end. Know what I mean?

------------------
    No man goes without his cable modem

Violent

martialcomp : This is just for you - in reply to you.

For the rest of you , any inferences that this is intended for anyone else except martialcomp is purely a mistake on my part and I apologize in advance.

hmmm,,,you really think the earth is flat ? hmmm interesting theory,,hmmm...wait a second - the earth is round, know it for a fact.

I find in life that pseudo intellectuals (want me to phonetically spell that out for you? ,,big word,,,can you handle that ?) like yourself frequently resort to lower based life form references when they just can not see beyond their own short commings or ignorance. The refusal to believe is not based upon stupidity, it is instead based upon fear of the unknown.

Belief in this subject is not mandatory as you may think. Are you so afraid of something outside your apparent narrow view that you feel you must personally attack me with your childish statements ?

I simply presented something here to show that what was thought (and apparently touted by you and others as your bible - "Oh No! it can not be done because of such and such".)was not true. Taking your own "Flat earth" (like your narrow mind)comment as an example, I said that the earth was "Round" and you decried it just like they did when the round earth theory was first presented. It is a shame that society has not changed much since then , well at least your end of the gene pool hasn't changed much apparently. Thoughts like this and people like you will forever hold back others from growing and learning.

At first when I presented this I thought that "hey this is neat - people are screaming for speed - I can give it to them with this." I did not reveal the method that is true for a couple of reasons:

1. When I posted I thought that "Yeah right, this thread will die real quick because most will not believe." . I guess you kind of proved that point.

2. After I posted the initial thread I thought "Now that I have this information, what responsibilities do I have towards it ?"

3. I also thought "What are the legal implications of posting this information ?"

But alas, you failed to think beyond your snotty little nose and consider things like this.

Frankly I find your comments offensive , un-called for, and totally out of place and context. However, I am an adult (which you may or may not be - haven't seen any evidence of it yet) and as such have learned to overlook the fools in life such as you.

WHAT ! you find my comments offensive also ? Are my comments offensive ? Too bad,,,or should I translate for you like this : ,,,BWAhhhhhh! he started it, he started it !

To the rest of you I apologize. I know this is flaming I guess and that is not the intended use for this forum. I will post the information and the codes and the method and how to enter them elsewhere. I will probably be banned from the board after this , so good by and farewell,,,except you martialcomp, to you I say - watch out for your own shoe laces.

Originally posted by martialcomp:
    Hey, Violent (guess that is what they call you in state prison) it is a little late for April fools jokes. I do have to give you credit for starting one of the most interesting threads ever on this board. You should start a new topic. It should be titled "I can prove the Earth is flat!". And, since you have gone off the deep end, you probably really do think the Earth is flat.

[This message has been edited by Violent (edited 07-11-2000).]

Ikarus

Postal said:
    I'm damn sure cable works the same way, the rr will want the ability to charge businesses for MORE bandwidth just like dsl.

Postal Bunny, the modems can be capped via settings sent to the cable modem upon initialization. Thats why with many cable modems you see speed throttling when you first start a download in IE at like 250KB+/sec. Your modem throttles you down via settings sent via either TFTP or SNMP to the modem everytime you reset or re-initialize it. You can get around this and telnet into the modem. I know this because I can do this to my own modem. Although I cannot change the speed of it without being caught by my ISP, I could tftp configuration changes (i.e. a new firmware that resets the modem to default) via the head end through the RF interface. This is how they sell packages of bandwidth via @home as far as I know they look up your modems IP/MAC address informaton so that when you connect you are sent the right bandwidth configuration.

Even though I doubt the speeds he is getting it is certainly feasable to uncap cable modems via wherever one happens to be and not needing to be at the headend depending on how your isp runs their cable system.

------------------
    Alladvantage - Make money surfin the web
    http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=fwp860

PostalBunny

Originally posted by Ikarus:
    Even though I doubt the speeds he is getting it is certainly feasable to uncap cable modems via wherever one happens to be and not needing to be at the headend depending on how your isp runs their cable system.
    I see where that might be applicable, but DSL also jumps quiet fast for the first 3 megs of download on IE. I witness this when we first installed the dsl. I can just about garantee that they can prevent him from downloading information at such high rates by limiting the amount of data that he can download from their router, which can be done on the crappiest router... if they had to, they could just attach a $100 router to the cable that runs to his house to bottleneck his line However, the rr contract states that "have the right to upgrade, modify, enhance and replace...to limit the throughput available through individual modems...". So either/or and possibly both at the head office and at the modem they can and will cap his modem to prevent him from getting that 27Mbps download which I'm pretty sure the modem would not be getting if it was plugged right next to the router at the CableCo's Central Office equiv.

Bottom line, he's lying because he said he made a deal with rr... after he won the supposed case. They would make a deal for him to drop charges, if he brough them up. And if he had brought charges up, he would have lost because of those MANY clauses in his contract... which if interpreted by the right lawyer mean you can't send or recieve ANY information =)

And his statement that he modified his modem to get a service he paid for is wrong... all ISP's have a clause that there may be network problems occasionaly blahblah... so damaging hardware and stealing bandwidth that belongs to other rr customers is violating the contract to get something that wasn't garanteed in the contract (which is the bandwidth the modem waasn't configured for).

------------------
    Purple Bunny Reporting for duty...

dan2525

You basically take away chunks of bandwidth by changing the modem's QOS (quality of service) profile. This is done at the UBR in the headend. There are typically several QOS profile levels that can be used.
    I really don't know what to make of all this as far as truthfulness but a couple of points are valid either way:
    1. Marketing-types control the way speeds are presented and hyped and we all know that's a bad thing. Certainly techs hate it. It's a distasteful part of life in the developed world that we're all misled about everything to some degree by advertising; I wish it wasn't this way but I'm not sure what to do about it. The only thing I know for sure is not to believe everything I hear and to protect myself by researching products before I spend money on them.
    2. Another thing we all know is that the cable modem system is a shared network. When you use more than your agreed upon bandwidth it is taken from somewhere, specifically other customers. It's not like the old getting-HBO-for-free thing where it doesn't affect anyone else on the block and only results in lost revenue for the company. The primary people hurt are others paying the same price as the offender. As far as this goes I guess you either care or you don't.

Until the technology changes, as it surely will, we're all sharing, and we either learned how to share in kindergarten or we didn't.

[QUOTE]I will post the information and the codes and the method and how to enter them elsewhere.

I have been neutral towards this entire post actually leaning towards believing him. But for him to say this it makes me think just the opposite. If I say something and people don't believe me then I always want to give them proof just to show them I was right. That's when u get your satisfaction. If you just leave, then probably everyone on this board will think you were lying. That's just my opinion, I would always want to prove I'm right unless I'm wrong and then u just have to come out and admit it.

double post deleted sorry

[This message has been edited by jaza27 (edited 07-11-2000).]

TonyT

violent
    Well done on getting a deal w/ them.
    Now, you sound like a responsable person. It is evident in some of your replies. Just do the right thing. You already know what it is!

Who gives a s*** whether or not you are believed by all. Keep your own councel.

for all other speedguide members
    BTW, those jail panties will soon be available for $24.95 US at http://www.speedcorp.net in the not too distant future. Plus shipping. For those already incarcerated geeks, shipping is free!
    Oh crap, I dropped the soap..........hey..........stop that.....wha....what are you doing!%^$#......hey ..cut it out....ou.ouch....YEEEOWch!

gotta run, Bubba waits.....

My understanding is that the cable modem "ranges" when first turned on to find the operating spectrum. It then contacts the headend via internal settings (an ip address), where a file is sent via tftp to the modem with the appropriate settings.

Since that's the case, two things must occur for you to uncap a modem operating in this manner. First, you must change the configuration file. Second, you must then get that file onto the tftp server at the headend, and have the modem call to that file for it's settings.

Which means, you'd have to break into the headend tftp server, and store the file there. In addition, you'd have to somehow convince the headend that this is a valid file, and a valid group of settings. Which means you either replace some existing file on the headend device, or you use some other method to verify the validity of this file to the headend.

How you would aquire all this information via a sniffer program would be a very unique trick.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

------------------
    "Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"

lvslr

Red face

Bouncer,

You are 100 percent correct about that. To add to what you said:

1. Each modem is assigned a QOS which includes, base line privacy, what settings there modem is set at the IP address if DHCP and TOD stamp.

2. At anytime if the cable modem varies from what the head-end has for its MAC address, it resends the config file, and if the modem doesn't accept it the modem is denied access.

3. As you stated all of this is done through TFTP, and all of the config files are kept at the head-end.

In my personal opinion Violent never could do this to his modem and if he did the cable-head-end would not allow him access to the Internet because his file differs from the config files assigned.

And if he did all they would have to do is force reset him, from the head-end and his modem would take the config file assigned.

Yes there is software out there that can be used to diagnose cable modem problems from the head-end, or at the clients house but they are well controlled and they still would not allow you to gain enough info to write the proper config file. And if you was to try and write a config file for your modem it would have to be done in the same program language as all the other config files and that is well kept to. And if you was able to get that far and upload it to the cable head end, the ISP could tell that the file was placed there and delete it.

I am personally fed up with this malarky, and i am so close to calling RR and personally asking them if this ever happened.

That is my opinion so you belivers of Violents doing go ahead and flame away.

Lightbulb

I've been reading this thread for the past week and I have to tell you that it sounds a little to good to be true....Let's see they give you a business account for free for 3 yrs, wire your whole house for free ,agree to stop calling you , pay your sisters legal fees, agree to pay for DSL if you don't like your cable ,keep your current cable modem and all RR wants is for you to turn over the codes and how you did it and agree NOT to release the codes...Hummm ,BUT after 3 months if you so choose you CAN release the codes...I find that RR would agree to that...Now what do I think really happen....I think you did find the codes ,you did uncap your modem ,you did get arrested, you did go to court,BUT you were found GUILTY and now you are serving 2 to 5 in your state prision and all of this is wishful thinking....

John

you were found GUILTY and now you are serving 2 to 5 in your state prision and all of this is wishful thinking....
    If I was going to go to prison I don't think I would come visit speedguide.net and make up stories... I would be to busy constructing some sort of steel underwear with a lock!

Ikarus

Thumbs up

Thumbs up john! heh. I believe any of you really want to know the story. You can check the ip log of this board contact the admin of the 'anonymous proxy' server to check his logs to find out Viloents real IP.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ikarus (edited 07-11-2000).]

Kip Patterson

Look, we're talking computer geek here - not even the most hardened and deprived con would stoop that low. None of us needs steel underwear.

Ikarus

As you can see you can telnet the modem and it asks you for a password. I'm telnetting my modem via NT. :P So I'm still curious to whether this whole bit is true or not.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ikarus (edited 07-12-2000).]

Evangelion-01

i wanna see a pic of this UL and DL speed

Ikarus

You wanna see speed? this is speed:

lol! Now if only it stayed that way.

------------------