Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Un-capping not illegal

martialcomp

Lightbulb

I am afraid I must stir the pot yet again.
    The only reason to uncap the upstream of a modem is to go crackz/warez crazy on the computer. The other reason is to run a server. I suspect that both are the case here. Road Runner has respectable upstream speed limits. Not that long ago, we had a member here that admitted that his neighbor was running a server. He said that he did not want to turn in his neighbor. But, he
    admitted to slow speeds himself and was wondering if he could do anything EXCEPT turn in the neighbor. If you guys get a hold of these logs, and end up arrested and in court, do not come crying here. You will get no sympathy from me. And, I especially do not want to hear your crying about paying a fine of $15-20000 dollars for the next 5 years. I am not going to change my position on this. Getting a little extra bandwidth is not worth getting arrested, posting bail, hiring an attorney (most of us do not have a sister that will take care of our court case for free) and battling it out in court. And, of course, the inevitable disconnection of service. I know, how about the cable company accusing you of illegal activity in the use of their service and police carting your computer away. I personally do not want police and attorneys knocking on my door while I am browsing the net. Again, I say, think twice before doing something so foolish as this guy has done. If you are rich, then you can afford a business connection anyway. If you are poor like the rest of us, then you cannot afford to pay for fines and attorneys fees. I want to add one more thing, where did anyone ever get the idea that they can get 27 megabits per second? Yes the modems are capable of much higher speeds than they run. But the support systems cannot handle that. A typical subdomain for an entire city (depending on the area) is typically a T3 (45 megabits per second) max. It is routed to a regional data center that might run at OC3 (155 megabits per second) and that might feed an entire county! There are faster systems being installed in various areas of the country. But, my area still runs on exactly the example I have given you. So, before anyone says that they can get 27 megabits per second to their house (more than half the bandwidth for an entire city). I suggest they get their facts straight.

[This message has been edited by martialcomp (edited 07-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by martialcomp (edited 07-09-2000).]

Bozzman

Thumbs down

Violent don't send those logs to anyone at all..not on this BBS or anywhere man...its just not a responsible thing to do

I'm glad to see you stood up to RR, but for christ sakes don't release those logs..
    I mean just think of how quick that crap would spread. Sue RR, and get the money, but don't make others suffer that happen to be on a node with people that would have those codes. If you're wondering, NO, i'm not on RR I got DSL It just scares me to think of all the 15yr olds that read this board with RR..

mobius0

I have been reading this string for 3 days now and I am wondering why everyone wants what they don't have. If you really think about it this is just the begining of this technology. Things will improve with time and if you don't like your service now pay for a better one. I am not sure I believe in this big bad company theory. Sure they are not as personal as you might like but they have more than on person to deal with. You are paying them for a service and they are providing it to you. If you don't like them then change your ISP. I feel this is just the begining of this sort of thing. Next time the poor sap who tries this may not be so lucky and for what I ask you. Nothing you can see or touch or has any REAL gains. So maybe you finish a download a few seconds early. What do you really gain? Is it really worth it to go through all this when you know as well as I do that in a year or so there will be something better or yours will be upgraded. If you really think it is not enough speed just go back to you 56k modem and start using a $10.00 a month ISP and then you will appreciate what you have now. I DON'T mean to anger anyone I just wanted to put my input in and say that I advise not to give the logs to anyone If you can get somthing from RR then do it. If you sue them for breaking the law then that is Cool, but let everyone moan and groan for a year or two because when they get used to what that will give them they will start complaining again that it is not enough. Violent I like to see the little guy win but you may not be so lucky next time and you may want to consider playing nice for awhile.

jayyy

There's one big point here though -roadrunner and co have to cut the crap over this "100 times faster than a 56k modem" crap, espec. when they press criminal charges against anyone who alters their equip to get anywhere close to that. If they establish a cap of 400kbps, they should say so in the ads. If uncapping only results in speeds within the range stated as possible in promotional material made to sell the service, I can't feel all that bad about poor little roadrunner. They're advertising a BMW and selling an old Buick.

DIDS

Exclamation

RR advertises "Unlimited Speed" on there roadway advertiseing boards in my area. I know I sure dont get unlimited speed.

clover

Originally posted by mobius0:
    If you really think about it this is just the begining of this technology. Things will improve with time and if you don't like your service now pay for a better one.
    Not all of us can. I live on the east coast of Australia where there are 2 cable providers, and the other does not provide a service to home units, only houses. On the west coast, they don't even HAVE a cable provider!

I hate to remind you Americans, but this is the Internet, which is international, even if most americans think it's theirs

My modem happens to be the same as Violents, my ISP also advertised 100x 56K speed (NO mention of capping) and in addition, there was no mention of tampering with the capping in the contract...but then, there was no mention of the speed being capped either, at the time they gave me the contract to sign. So yes, I'm interested and I also don't believe this would violate any part of my contract.

clover

iBringPain

Sandman your a self centered mooron. So between you and maertialcomp "what is the capable speeds of a cable modem"? Did I get all the spelling right for you?

Violent

I do not run servers of any type. I do not do warez or any illegal software pirating activity. The only thing close to a server that I do run in on my own home network - if you want to call this a server - four machines thru hubs and switches to the machine with the cable modem (the one I un capped) on it. Since some of you were so diligent to point out the TOS, yes home networks are allowed, they just will not set them up for you.

The_Sandman

iBringpain:
    Thank You! I really mean that. Now heres what you have to do, go to your doctor and have your eyes examined. Why? Well either you have poor eye sight or you are so damn stupid you can't read corcetly. martialcomp said that cable modems are capable of that speed and more. However as he said it depends on the network and other things. if your cable network has a T1 connection which some still do how do expect to reach 27Mpbs. If what you said is true then why isn't violent downloading faster than 1.2MB/s. 27Mbps is not equal to 1.2MB. Modem speeds vary there are some Homes that don't have a cable modem capable of that speed. For what you said to be correct each home would have to have at least its own T3 line and it can't be shared except for maybe between 2 users. No, your spelling was not correct! Go back to school you need it

iBringPain

Cool

Sandman...if this helps you keep a gun out of mouth it is okay with me...

Violent

Fanta : Nope,, do not run any servers what so ever.

Originally posted by fanta:
    Violent, actually I was refering to file server. Maybe an FTP site or IRC Fserv? Did/Do you run any of these?

NeoGuyver

Cool

I have nothing in defense of myself or others who want to uncap their modems, but to mobius0: No one can really change their service right now, it's sort of a territorial thing with Cable, and if we want DSL, sure we can change it. But I'll use my area as an example. We have few people on each node since we have A hell of a lot of available bandwidth, and most everyone in the city has cable. They still don't want to up the CAP to at least 20k like we ask, it's not much to ask for, but if they only let us use the bandwidth that is available, no one will experience a reduction in speed. It's just that it's in their power, but they are stubborn. Thats just my 2˘

I don't think 20k is too much more to ask for. Hell they have the bandwidth. And their Customer Service is CRAP! I wish OOL was in my area instead of @home...

mobius0

NeoGuyver

I understand that options are limited at this time and I don't mean to imply that I have a whole hell of a lot myself. But the fact is I do have the choice of DSL or Cable or move to an area where the service is offered that I want. All of which will cost money. I can't speak for your ISP but one thing is very certain If you give someone somthing and then take it away they will be more upset than if they never had it. Maybe your ISP is bad and you have no options but I am sure in time you will have plenty as this technology grows. But taking what they are not willing to give is not the answer. This is just my opinion. Like I stated in the past I had to go back to 56k for a short time and I will NEVER complain about the speeds I get with my cable unless somthing is clearly wrong with my service. I just like all the rest here would love to get as much bandwidth as possible but I am unwilling to just take it.

Just a friendly reply

chacmool

Sandman...spelling:

Jaxsonville...żIs that the same Jacksonville, FL that's on the north east side of the state?

"....you are so stupid you can't read corcetly."

What the heck...I get confused between Cajun & English too.

NeoGuyver

Cool

Thanks, the truth is, they really did give me something, then take it back. When I got my service, I had 50k/sec uploads. They took away from me. Now I ask for not even half of that back and they shun us, even though it's NEVER in use. We have a few nodes with 3 people on them and they are still as slow as the rest of us, only 128kbps (16k/sec). As for the options of moving and switching to DSL. I am not close enough to receive DSL from my phone Co. and The closest place I can move with a higher rating I don't think is even in my state. BESIDES, why should 'I' move to get better service? It's much easier and more beneficial for EVERYNE if they complied.

I see your point, I assure you, but if you had situation, I think you would be angry because you are powerless to make them see the truth. 16k/sec can't do CRAP compared to what Cable SHOULD do anyway. Did they ever put caps on phones? (I know cable is shared, but just follow me here) If they can't handle giving us speed that they first guaranteed, then they have NO bussiness being our service providers! I know technology has to "GROW" more, but does that also mean few should have to take a step back for the rest? Each city should be dealt with on an individual basis. it shouldn't be that hard to hire a task force to look into these things, hell, they spent a **** load of money trying to make an "EXAMPLE" out of people like Violent over here. Do you think this is a good way to spend their expenses? Couldn't they have used that money to build ONE MORE NODE for some city that needs it? perhaps...

One other thing, this is mainly for @home users. Wasn't there supposed to be a plan where you could pay for more bandwidth if you wanted to? WHAT THE HECK HAPPEND TO THAT!?

freak99

Hmmm, did anyone think of trying to duplicate the sequence of events in order to get the logs? ie: call tech support and tell them some b.s. etc...

Is it just me or is this really obvious?
    (or maybe the smart people just don't want the dumb people to know)

The_Sandman

iBringPain:
    I don't own a gun, but if I did I'd sure keep it out of my mouth.
    Thank You!

mobius0

NeoGuyver I understand your frustration and I sympathize with you. It sounds as if you have a really bad ISP and some very good points. I hope that everything works out for you.

Clbe

Thumbs down

I was asked to check out this thread and I find it interesting. Some points...

• There is a *DISTINCT* difference between kB/s and kb/s. 1 kB/s = 8.192 kb/s and 1 kb/s = .122 kB/s
    • RoadRunner is a DOCSIS system throughout. In a DOCSIS environment, the capping is truly done at the cable modem NOT the headend. There is a subtle point to make however. The "configuration" that contains the capping paramters does exist at the head-end and is transferred to the cable modem via tftp once the cable modem has properly ranged, registered, and is active on the tcpip network. The cable modem reads the configuration and then sets itself appropriately.
    • It is totally feasible to have a telnet interface to the modem's innards. I do not specifically know if the CyberSurfr's have this but I am absolutely positive that other manufacturers provide this ability in one form or another. In context of this scenario, the Moto tech needs only to know the RF interface IP or the ethernet interface IP address. If any cable modem vendor is SMART, they would restrict such capabilities to the RF interface only.
    • The possibility of violent capturing such a session is close to NIL... UNLESS there is a heinous flaw in the CyberSurfr architecture whereby they open the session to the ethernet and not the RF interface. Any moto folk here? Contact me so we can discuss this one.
    • If RR could properly configure their network from the onset, this might never have happened as they could make the "pool" of RF interface addresses a private network instead of a legit IP class network. In this situation, the moto tech would never be able to "telnet" to the modem. Only a knowledgable RR tech could do it from within their private RF network.

What Violent did is entirely FEASIBLE. I am totally curious about it though and, like everyone else, want to see the proof. I happen to work for a company that is deep into this technology so if somebody else wants me to verify what happened here, I probably can if I'm given the session, logs, and such. I would only give a "yea / nay" vote without details.

Clbe

[This message has been edited by Clbe (edited 07-09-2000).]

John

americans think it's theirs
    Well, we started it! We maintain major aspects of it as well. Who do you think makes all the endings such as .com , .net, .co.uk ?

this is a whole 'nother subject.