Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Un-capping not illegal

fanta

Lightbulb

Yikes thats a lot of e-mails to respond to. Why dont you just give them to Phillip and ask him to post them on the site in addition to your story perhaps?

-syk0

Talking

since everyone else wants em, u know u know...

pah_syk0@hotmail.com

thanx man :P

The_Sandman

Cool

iBringPain:

problably the only persons who care other than the whinners on this site are the attorneys who are billing RR at $400 a hour.

I'd complain if he was sucking up my bandwith. eg. lets say I'm on the same node as he is if he's downloading at that speed then I'll be struggling just to get the speed advertised even on RR servers.

"the whinners" at least some of them have valid points. I'm sure your opinion would differ if he was sucking up your bandwith and making your connection slower.

Violent:

great win. you were very luck! I'd seek action against RR if I were you for the reasons you stated before. send me those logs I'd like to take a look even though i don't use a motorola modem. darkchylde19@hotmail.com

Violent

Bouncer:

Well heck, they changed the page, sorry for the confusion. I knew it would happen soon. Every area with Road Runner has done away with that page. This page was put up during the initial roll out period when I was sold the service and it said just what I told you it said.

As far as the FCC is concerned, They also ruled that states with regulatory commissions for utilities could decide where and when a cable service operated. The fcc's ruling was mostly regarding content which My public service commission has no control over. But as far a utility providing service they most definately have control over that. Yes the FCC ruled that no state could excercise regulatory control over a cable service , but they did not rule that a state could not excercise control over where and when. It was a loop hole purposefully placed in the ruling by the government to satisfy states rights under the constitution. Under states rights the government cannot dictate to the state what will or will not occur ( at least in matters like this), but they can dictate how it will be done. My sister went over all this with me as I am not a legal eagle type. This same loop hole is the one that will allow all states to tax internet usage in the near future, some of them may already be doing so - I haven't kept up with it so I don't know if they already do or dont.

As far as consuming more then I am allowed, luck would have it that I saved the original sales material at the time the service was sold to me. It was this material that became part of the contract which presuaded the judge to side with me.

At any rate I agree with your arguments and sincerly appreciate you taking the time to play devils advocate in this regard because just today (about an hour ago) I had a interesting phone call from - yep! you guessed it Road Runner. They (or someone from there - or maybe it was someone from this board that contacted them) evidently monitor your page and made numerous references to this thread. They have offered me a deal, I have not decided on the answer yet. The offered me a large business account free for one year, with full up and down bandwidth of 10 Mb/s each way. This means a steady 1 M/s up and down (or at least theoreticaly). I have to agree on a few things:

1) Not use the codes anymore and turn over to them the information on exactly how I did it , trap the motorola codes and such.

2)Have them replace my cable modem with a new one.

3) Sign a new contract. I bet ya a new contract will be pretty comprehensive.

They also asked that I not reveal the codes to anyone or how to access the motorola diagnostic mode,,,but I told them that that would not be part of the deal. Gotta give them an answer next monday.

Somnething strange they asked was if I used proxy servers to access the internet. Of course I do, my true Ip address is never seen by people.So this tells me that someone was checking up on me, oh well. Dont know whay they would have asked that - strange dont you think ?

Thinking that while 1.2 Mb/s is so close to 1 Mb/s and that 1Mb/s up beats 500 k/s , I am considering it. I dont think I will miss the 200 k/s difference in the down side and would gain in the up side. Also considering that the ratio of users on large business accounts is much better then home users. In my area large business accounts are almost dedicated accounts with almost no bandwidth sharing - Nope, I dont know how they do that.

In your opinion do you think this would be a good deal ?

P.S. Who was it that went to ftp.amoco.com ?,,,your right they dont want people there, but I have a account on that server so I have a password and login that allows me access. the admin is a friend of mine, we grew up together. Its a fast site and perfect for testing or storing stuff.

P.S - Again - I just realized that I have caused a minor upset in your board by having such a controversal subject posted. I apologize for distracting your board away from its intended purpose.

[This message has been edited by Violent (edited 07-07-2000).]

clover

Thumbs up

clover252525@yahoo.com

You have my curiosity going now as well, Violent. At least I'm not in the USA and not subject to their laws. I also perused my contract and funnily, there's no mention about changing the speed of the modem: an oversight I'm sure. Whether that omission makes it legal, I dunno, but doesn't seem to make it illegal. My modem is motorola so I'd be very interested in a copy of those logs.

clover

goose

Those folks asking for the log and do happen to receive it from him, won't get off so easy in this case because he did do this with negligence. This plays a huge roll in the manner that he luckily tweaked his cap. If you do this intentionally you may not be so lucky.. Just my $0.02

HMS White Star

correction I don't feel like giving my opinion cause it's outdated, sorry.

[This message has been edited by HMS White Star (edited 07-07-2000).]

The_Sandman

violent just out of curiosity what proxy software do you use

CRoZZ

Talking

Thats great Violent..glad to see the small guy take on the big boys on the block. Im to curious on the log could u send it to me aswell crozz@telus.net thx :^)

CBR900RR

Talking

Hi violent, do you own the cable modem. If not, all they need to do is to swap out you modem with some other brand and you will be stuck with the capped speed. Am I right? Don't tell me your code will work on all different type of modem, he he *.*

DHM

Violent,

Bravo excellent Job of defending your rights, Well done.

CBR900RR

Talking

Hi violent, do you own the cable modem. If not, all they need to do is to swap out you modem with some other brand and you will be stuck with the capped speed. Am I right? Don't tell me your code will work on all different type of modem, he he *.*

martialcomp

Lightbulb

Violent, I actually feel sorry for you. You have nothing better to do in your life than to hog everyone elses upstream and downstream bandwidth? And, Kip is right, I do not believe you can get 500 kilo bytes per second out of a 1.5 megabit system (183k per second approx). I also agree with Bouncer, you could easily be damaging equipment by doing what you are doing. I also feel that they will most definitely terminate your service soon. They have too, you are slowing your neighbors and everyone else on your node down. I do not understand what makes a person do something like this. The act itself is very selfish. If it had no effect on anyone else, I would be more open to it, but, it effects a lot of other people on your node and could be potentially damaging to the routers at the head end. And, I ask you this, can you handle the guilt of other members of this board getting arrested for doing the same things you have done? Other people might not be so lucky in court, and could pay fines that would take them many years to pay back. If I were you, I would stop messing with the modem, stop promoting illegal activity, and thank god for not getting fined a fortune and not going to jail.

setiawan

Cool

Violent, i dont know if you agree with the offer yet, but i really like to see the code too, if it all possible, can you send it to azev2000@yahoo.com I really like to check it out....

fanta

I might as well ask, as is the whole UBB: sasinator@hotmail.com

Violent,

I do not think that you realize what you have in your posetion,

I would Think twice (1,000 Times) Before making any deals with RoadRunner.
    And Good Luck In your little war you have going on.

I have alot more to say on this subject but I am not going to add wood to this fire.

If you could Pass me the code it would be apriciated.

IAMTHEREX@Favemail.com

------------------
    Push Things to there limits.....and eat the results Like candy....You will either get a sweet tooth or a jaw breaker -X z a v e r

O just one more thing , Remember this Violent with every decision you make think this over in your head.

RR Has something you do not....
    The Never Ending Pocket Book.

fanta

Also I would like to add something that suprisingly nobody has mentioned. I suggest that you put your settings back to the normal ones your modem came with for the time being. You should only adjust the settings when you really need to, during off peak times. That way you could get rid of the heat that you already have on you, and you could still get a lot out of your system withought sucking up everyones bandwith at all times. Also I strongly advise in not cutting a deal with Roadrunner. Any deal with them will be at an overall lost to you.

ahh ok

[This message has been edited by Xzaver (edited 07-08-2000).]

Double-post..remove, redo, repost. Siiigh..
    -B-

"Somnething strange they asked was if I used proxy servers to access the internet. Of course I do, my true Ip address is never seen by people. So this tells me that someone was checking up on me, oh well. Dont know whay they would have asked that - strange dont you think?"

I would check your documentation to see whether proxy servers are specifically allowed or prohibited by the TOS you agreed to, or whether it specifies a single direct connection. If they get you on a single contract violation... My point is simply that if you're going to play these kind of games, you better make VERY sure you have ALL your ducks in a row. Because they will likely be looking as closely at you as they can legally get away with. (And that's pretty close)

As to whether you take the deal they offered or not, that is of course, up to you. Their reason for wanting you to not release the information is pretty obvious. It's not so much that they want to repress the information, as much as what they're anticipating is that everyone with that style modem will begin trying this and potentially wreaking havoc with their systems. As someone who worked for a business class ISP (no residential service, no cable modem access, just frame relay, T1's, T3's and up) I can appreciate the concern from an operational standpoint that this could cause if hundreds or thousands of people start trying to mess with systems they do not very specifically understand. functionally, the end result might be that your service was out more than it was on because of other people all playing with frequency settings.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

------------------
    "Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"