Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Un-capping not illegal

zeussoft2

its obvious hes just going to lie more. hes been caught bull****ting....its obvious....and now all he will do is lie to make it look like he was telling the truth....i mean come on......its obvious hes just trying to get attention.
    1) RR would have cancelled his cable internet before taking him to court
    2) Takes months to get to court.....not just a few days.
    3) Look at the picture files.....just use photoshop and paint, change the 'res, and voila.
    4) His excuse to not post them on a website was "The host would not let me upload .jpg files" Thats a load of crap.
    5) You wouldnt win a court case by saying you were getting the speed which you are paying for.....985 KB/sec......thats like 7.2 mbps.....the fastest you will ever get is 1.5 mbps, off any cable modem...thats the restriction to each user....even if you do uncap your CAP, i doubt you can get past the restriction and get into the head computer, change the file matching exactly the settings which you have at your home and change everything with hopes that there isnt any security alarms installed in the cable office......Thats pretty funny though. And if you read in the RR TOS youd read that you cant tamper with the modem to damage the network....and if you were getting 7.2 MBPS thats leaving 2.7 MBPS for everyone else to use....and thats not just hogging bandwidth...that can be considered damaging equiptment too.....So in that case if you did actually take away your CAP you still wouldnt be getting 7.2 MBPS......Try about 1.5 MBPS, about the speed of a t1. If you got any faster then that you can damn well expect to get service revoked instantly and get sued for more money then you will ever have. And that nice little excuse you think you got away out of court with "Im paying for and getting what it says on the RR site" which is 1.5 MBPS and then posting screenshots of you downloading at 7.2 MBPS, that just proves that that excuse you think you got out of court was just a bunch of bull****. and if you had went to court, long before the day of the court the police would of came and taken away your computer, just like they would to anyone who damages computer systems with a computer.

You can believe violent all you want But one of these days hes gonna post something really bogus by mistake and will show that everything he said was all a bunch of horse****.

BTW I doubt he will ever send anything to any moderators......he'll use an excuse like "I dont have ICQ, AOL, mIRC, or any other file transfer protocols" or something else thats dumb like that.

I laugh at this guy.....hes just another one of the many who dreams of getting that speed....only difference is he actually thinks he is but there is no real proof....Anybody can edit a screenshot with paint to change the speed and percentage....not that hard. I dont think Ikarus is the one who edits the photos....hes been around here much longer then Violent, I think i'd know who to believe when they say the other person edited the photos :-) and i think you all should to....if anyone here believes him.....well i pity you

Violent

Ikarus:

I am using windows Millennium (I am using the free complimentary that MS sends to all its beta testers after the beta is complete) This is the way it puts the information in the block. The font is the one used by Millennium. I used the same server and file you did in your doctored screen shots. I played by your requests (sent pics) and by the rules set by you, and now I didn't play the game fairly and your upset ?

I have three dirs on the hard drive labeled tempx - tempy - tempz. I also have three labeled tempa - tempb- and tempc. These are dirs I use on projects for work to keep things seperated. So what , now someone is prohibited for using the letter "z" in a name for a file or dir because this is scientific proof that someone does warez ? BullS**T. All it proves is that I named the directory what I wanted to name it. So the letter "z" is outlawed for use now ? By whose standards - yours ? Why not just go ahead and use your scietific endeavors to point out that books should be burned as well because they use the alphabet ? Better yet , lobby your congressman to outlaw the alphabet because it is clearly, according to your scietific evidence,the root of all evil and crime?

On the contrary - your doctored pics prove only one thing - that your supposed scientific evidence is the product of your own fevered drive to prove yourself right and someone else wrong. I presented a topic that has lately become wildly sucessful, offers the truth, and you did not do it first so the attention is not on you. So what do you do - why of course - scientific investigation. Oh Please - give me a break.

So you overlayed the pics - big deal - what screen resolution did you use ? Which color depth ? How did you do your screen captures ? Which software did you use to do it with? Heck, even the dot pitch on your monitor could be different then mine.I did mine with the windows screen shot deal (alt - print screen / which copies it to the clipboard) then opened paint - pasted it - the saved it. I did it this way to preserve the information as truely as possible. In short I used the same environment to do the screen shots and did not resort to any third part software. Why not do it this way - because windows already has the stuff built in so why not use it. I did not resort to any third pary software to do the pictures except for what I used to convert them to .jpg files for emailing. Because of the file size of a Bmp image (which is much larger) I used VuePro to convert it to a .jpg image to send to Brent since .jpg files are smaller.Your so called scietific evidence is flawed from its very beginning. The wise thing to have done would have been to duplicate the environment as closely as possible, as a control. Scientific evidence - what a bunch of horseS**T..

Scientific ? No I dont think so . Graphic genius ? nope! Did you comapre the pics for broken lines ? Differences in color shading ? evidences for tampering ? No none of these - and had you done your home work and remotely even known what you were talking about and done these things you would have found that everything is consistant with the pics, that there are no irregularities. Come back in a few months after you have purchased windows millennium -duplicate my computer environment as closely as possible and then tell me what you find. You will not find anything wrong.

Regarding your so called scientific endevors -One pixel ? What balderdash! any number of things could account for that - the things I mentioned above - your own eyesight in alignment - the software its self, differences from video card to video card - any number of things - even differences on my own machine will make things appear minutely to grossely different on another one. Evidently you were at lunch during science class at school because then you would have know that an experiment without controls is useless.

How do we know that you have not doctored your pics to show what you wanted them to show ?

Do I owe someone an apology ? NOPE! Things happened just the way I said. The pics are real- straight screen shots with no alterations what so ever.

Plain and simple - You guys wanted pics - I started sending them - was gonna do the court docs in a few days (as soon as I could get to a friends scanner). It doesnt matter what I do. Your so called scientific endevors (flawed tho they are and a waste of your time) will only serve to point out that it would be a waste of my time because they do not match your version of what you think should be. Even if I did send the court docs, within a few hours I would then be subject to "scientific evidence" because of a puncuation mistake when they were typed up or because that double spacing was used in some of the documents or because you did not think the dates were right or because of your scientific evidence that because I blocked out my name in the docs and other personal information. You would say because of your "scientific" investigation of the scanned docs that they did not match up with your own scanned library card or something else as stupid.

Why am I even doing this ? Because I wanted to share it with those that have wanted for so long to do something about what they thought was a crappy service. So what did I do? Came to a forum that was known (at least was) for the sharing of new ideas, an open forum where one could post something to share regarding a shared common interest. I just got caught up in my own moral delima of if I were going to post the codes and method or not - and you know what I am glad now that I did not do it because I am sure that someone with a narrow mind would have been on the phone with Road Runner immediately. I decided not to at the time and for that you can not understand why I have not presented the information ?

You are the type that wants to just argue for the sake of argument aren't you ? Your the type that if he can't have it then he doesn't want anyone to have it, aren't you ? Are you related to martialcomp in some way ?

So because of your so called scientific investigation you attempt to persuade people to your side of the issue. I think these things were also done during the crusades and the inquisition. So I guess the nuts are truly running the asylum.

The screen shots I provided are real - undoctored - and are actually taken at the time of the associated activities - upload and download with the uncapped cable modem in Windows Millennium.

I will not even bother to respond to such crap as your so called scientific investigation any longer - I dont care what you think - it does not matter to me what you think - the information I presented is true, plain and simple. If anyone is owed an apology here - its me apologizing to my self for wasting my time. I owe no one a apology for telling the truth and presenting a new way to do things.

[This message has been edited by Violent (edited 07-13-2000).]

zeussoft2

Ikarus:

To prove to the world hes just a lying idiot....tell the whole world how you got that pic you posted........What program you used, what you did, and exactly how you did it please :-)....then im sure everyone will do it and see how much of a loser this Violent guy really is.....Now Violents saying how hes leaving.....i bet you hes figuring it out that people are catching on to his lies.

Anyways if you can do that and it turns out the same for everyone then we'll know whos the real bull****ter

Prey521

Hey Violent,

I'm behind you all the way, there are way too many playa hataz in here. Especially Ikarus, yeesh. I really don't think that Voilent would go through all this trouble, typing those long ass posts, just to prove that he is right. You go Violent, and hey, steal all the bandwidth you want cuz it aint mine,

L8rz

[This message has been edited by Prey521 (edited 07-13-2000).]

downhill

Cool

What in the world is with all the name calling.

If he's spoofing..so what? Prove him wrong..and leave all the name calling out..

And Violent does have a point...

If Ikarus can layer and see what the difference is...he can also doctor it to what he wants to post too. Easy as pie...

So it looks like a stand off in that respect to me...simply because you can't prove that Violent doctored those picts and you can't prove Ikarus didn't...In fact, you can't prove that Brent didn't play with them before uploading to his server.

All this is supposition...so, if your named here...don't take offence...because there is none intended

I use Paint Shop Pro..but I can't duplicate the test because there is no way for me to layer one against the other since I don't have Millennium.

Oh yeah...this should break 300 if the Mods don't lock it......and they should!!!

dan2525

Violent - You're obviously a bright guy with better than average general computer skills. You understand the LAN/shared bandwidth concepts of the cable system. I was wondering what sort of response or outcome you were envisioning from your original post? You warned people of all the hassle you went through but you were contemplating sharing the uncapping method. As bright as you are, you must realize that you're situation is unique, localized and based on the findings of what I assume is a lower level court judge (I can't remember if you mention what the court level was) and that the odds of someone else having the same outcome have to be slim to non-existant. You'd also know what would happen if enough people on your node uncapped and that if you released the sniffer logs, you'd have no way of knowing if someone who used them was on your node. Where did you see all this going?

there aint no way I'm closing this thread!

wee96

"playa hataz"

good god.....I wont comment on that one.

clover

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Brent:
    there aint no way I'm closing this thread!

Good, coz this thread is better than any thriller novel I've read in zonks!

clover

(Current odds after 182 posts:
    Ikarus et al 4/5
    Violent et al 5/4
    RR disconnecting 2/1
    Draw 10/1
    Brent closing thread 50/1
    Disneydollars accepted (subject to transparency layering tests)

mig125

OK, this whole thing is really touchy...but let's take it one day (one prove) at a time and we will see who will have to apolagize at the end.
    I can't wait to see the court documents - at this point I don't think V would go thru all the trouble to make up all that stuff.

By the way: Back in 1959(?) after a military revolution in Greece the letter Z was removed from the greek alphabet - no joke!
    Talking 'bout tyranny

Picins

Red face

Well it is true that RR can run Un-Capped... My aunt works for Time Warner in Upstate NY and She And I both Have RR. When Im At her house i download programs from LOCAL FTPS at about 3 megs a sec but at my house i dl at 400k a sec. She once showed me this book that she had got from motorola, she said it had codes and stuff for fixing messed up road runner boxes. the other day i got a config file from her and my internet speed is like 5 to 6X faster. here is a pic of what i dl at now from a screen i took from a "Internet Performance Site".

Picins Out!

P.S. the pic is not a mock up of a pic either go to the url and see what u get!

Picins 2540kbps translated to KBps is 317KBps, that's normal for cable, nothing special

------------------
    a.k.a Borg Drone
    Owner/Webmaster
    Core Meltdown www.coremeltdown.com

Forum: http://www.coremeltdown.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi

Out the 100TX, through the linksys router/switch, down the cable modem, over the Tap, off the bridge, past the node, straight up the gateway, past the head end office....nothing but Net

The_Sandman

that picture proves that its bull. IE does round to the MB. I know because once I actually got for 3 seconds 1MB then it came down to about 400KB.

I...... AM.......... CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question

Violent, can you PLEASE send me the logs too?
    My e-mail is megatron911@home.com
    I'm getting over 100ping on my gateway and i upload at around 11K/sec, i'm desperate, please.

Snip

Hey violent, I don't want your log, just tell me which network software you used to sniff?
    Originally posted by Violent:
    Hi folks ,,,i'm kind of new here and I saw an interesting post that I would like to comment on please, if thats ok ?

I just learned today from my lawyer that I was not going to be prosecuted by Road Runner for uncapping my modem. Yep you heard it right.

the story goes like this :

A few months ago I found a way to uncap my motorola cable modem. I had heard that it was impossible to do as everything was handled at the head end. Well this is true it is all handeled at the head end, however there is a hidden diagnostic mode in the motorola modem that motorola can access from on line if need be. In this diagnostic mode there is a setting that allows the motorola people to over ride any control from outside the modem - it however does this constantly in this special mode and allows proper modem functioning at the same time. Motorola accesses this mode thru a telnet type session. this session can be captured if you sniff the session with network software designed for this. this capture takes a little decoding but gives up the codes needed to turn this diagnostic mode on. I discovered this by accident when I called motorola tech support for a problem with something else. I just happened to mention to the tech that was helping me that "my other computer was on line with a cable motorola cable modem. While he was waiting for something else we had a short conversation , he asked "Hows that modem working for you, I have one too." I said It works ok I guess but...",,,he said "I can take a look at it for you if you want", I said No , I'll have to send it to you guys, besides it really belongs to the cable company." He said " Oh no, I can look at it from here. " . Of course I get this erie feeling but say ok. I have a home network and just happen to have been running some software that sniffs the network while doing some testing. So I have the sniffer running and he takes a look at the modem. Said he didn't see anything wrong. I get my other problem solved with motorola and say good by and thanks.
    A few days later I get around to looking at the sniffer logs and I see the session from motorola, Now the lightbulb in my brain comes on. I study the log for a good two hours and decide to try a few codes from it. Lo and behold - This thing now d/l's at 1.2 MB sec and uploads at 500 K sec. Previously my d/l's were averaging 500 - 800 k/s which isn't too shabby, but the u/l max was 25 k/sec which is about normal for road runner cable. So anyway I run the cable modem in this special configuration for a couple months. Come home one day to find that i've been disconnected. I call about it and am told that I was disconnected for theft of service and refered to the legal department for further information. So I call legal and am told that they plan to prosecute.

Anyway about a week later I am served with a summons. I call my sister (she's the lawyer) and explain everything to her. Little hint here that I have learned from my sister - always tell your lawyer everything. Anyway she contacts Road Runner, they will not drop the prosecution they say because they feel that I should be made an example. I get to court. My sister makes the argument that the road runner literature that was used to sell the service , which becomes part of the contract, points out the "speeds up to..." statement as a selling point, that I bought the service, have paid the bill religiously, and was mearly excercising my rights under the original contract when I bought the Road Runner service. Road Runner and prosecutor points out that while the original selling point may have been considered part of the contract that to take something that is not clearly given in the contract is illegal and constitutes theft of service. case is continued while the judge ponders this.

Went back to court today and got the judges decision - Ruling : Not Guilty

Road Runner objected - prosecutor objected - Why ?

Judge says " The defendant excercised his rights under the contract as implied by the literature used to sell the service, and the literature that sold the service became part of the contract. While the literature does not specify any certain speed it also does not specify any certain limit other than the one theoricaly possible. The defendant did nothing but attempt to utilize the full extent of the service that he was sold. This does not constitute theft. Not Guilty. the defendant is released."

The judge then ordered Road Runner to turn the service back on. Road Runner refused, but this afternoon my service was back on when I got home after court, and i'm running again un-capped.

End of story - happy ending

So the moral of the story is this : If you run un-capped they will probably arrest you. But there is a way to beat it. Plain and simple I guess, Kids - dont try this at home, cause it is a big hassle.

P.S. Forgot this part. I did get arrested when I got the summons - kinda embarrasing- had to post bail. Only time in my life that I have ever talked with a police officer other than a traffic ticket.

[This message has been edited by Violent (edited 07-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Violent (edited 07-05-2000).]

Violent

dan2525:

I guess I wanted to share something that was a good thing for a lot of us. While I am aware that it was a lower court decision and that the ramifications of someone else doing this may entail results that were much different than mine. I dont know what the outcome would be in other cases. Like I indicated in my original thread, I do not suggest that anyone do this.

In reality I was never going to post anything about this incident until that is RR started acting a fool - threating my livelyhood - and having me arrested. I had conteplated it before hand once or twice during the two month period that i was using the codes religously. When I got arrested I thought then that "Those SOB's, could have just called me, sent a letter , email , something".But they didn't, they wanted to make an example out of me. When that happened I posted as soon as possible. People do not realize what a powerful medium the Internet is. However I hesitated posting the codes and method because of the possible legal re-percussions at that time (and still hesitate - for about three months when my obligation is fulfilled under the agreement), and also because of the influence it would have on the net.Can you imagine thousands of people on the internet with cable modes uncapped ? I am sure that a lot of systems would be bought to their knees. I think I have already mentioned that.So then I needed to think and act responsibly.

Where did I see all this going ?

I saw it going into a common pool of collective knowledge. To explain a bit. There are a lot of smart people out there. Some think they are smart, and some not so smart when it comes to technology of this type. If information like this were available in a common pool with all the other accumulated knowledge about cable modem use - the reg tweeks - the trouble shooting tips, I think in time that the cable companies would listen to the people that pay them and keep them in business. That they would began to realize that the people out there have access to the same knowledge, that cable has, about what they are paying for. That a salesman could not sell them a bill of goods anymore with words like "Up to" and "theorically" and then when you try to achieve that, what you thought you were paying for and in reality were sold, people would be able to say "hey wait a minute, I can do that." If this were available and the cable companies thought that they could not control it anymore it would force them in a short while to respond to customer demand and deliver the bill of goods that they sold. This would in the long run be in the cable companies best interest I guess because of the revenue in increased sales and staying ahead of the competition. It would be in our (cable users as a collective) best interest immediately and in the future because it would force cable to stay ahead of its self. What I mean by stay ahead of its self is that company xyz would then update their technology to beat out cable (as DSL is doing in a lot of areas right now) this in turn would force cable to keep ahead of them and so forth and so on. Technology is a canibalistic animal that demands the next one be better and stronger and then feeds upon its self to do that, the little people (subscribers) get what is left from these "feedings". We the subscribers either benefit or suffer from the results so why shouldn't we force the hand that we pay for ?

I was hoping to disclose something that had been kept a secret and could only work to our benefit as a whole. I am not so sure now because there are those - obviously- that seek to keep people like me and others in the dark by berating and decrying new ideas and concepts with what they think, or think they think,should happen. They know it all and that anything outside their rhelm of reference is not the truth and to be attacked and pushed away. No wonder cable service is so crappy in some areas - because poeople can not come together thru knowledge and make them act responsibily. How many times have you called the cable company only to get some poor guy to help you that doesn't know a single thing outside the canned scripts he is given to read off to you ? Why dont you have direct access to the higher tiers of support you are paying for ? Why do you need to talk to someone who wants to do the same tests ("oh your cable light isn't on - well open up a dos window and type ping <A HREF="http://www.yahoo.com"" TARGET=_blank>www.yahoo.com"</A> - actually happened to me once) over and over again and the problem is so obvious? Why when you talk to cable, and obviously know what your talking about, they treat you like a small school child ? I'll tell you why - they are afraid of you knowing more than they do - thats why. If you know more than they do then they have to deliver to keep ahead of you because they then know that they need to deliver on their promises to keep getting paid - in short you pay them and they should work for you. Cable delivers what it delivers because they know that as long as they control the knowledge and can keep the issues confused by treating you the way they do, they can give you any type of service they want and you have to live with it. Knowledge is power - and when you have more then they do - and thru the cable modem users community as a whole or at least a majority - thru this we send a message. Did you know that you can not buy headend software from motorola unless your a cable company ? Why is that ? Its because cable wants the knowledge kept from you and me. Why? I am sure some of you would cite "Oh its propriatary" or some such drivel. The real reason is becuse if you had it would would be able to see just what the interaction is between the headend and your cable modem, be able to overcome it in some fashion and as a result find out that you are capped when you dont need to be, and your paying to be capped. People everyday who know people in the local cable company get their caps lifted by their friends at the cable company by having access to the headend provisioning. And you are paying for them to use their friendship to get special favors. Why should you not have the same privilage ?

I guess this pretty much explains it, as to why I decided to post. Some of it may be a little disjointed - but its hard to explain a concept sometimes so that others and everyone hears the same thing.

About posting the codes and method - haven't decided yet.

P.S http://www.midsouth.rr.com/rr_new/index.html

click on the link to the left that says "How does it work"

I thought that they had deleted this page but evidently they havent. See near the top of the page (after going to How Does It Work)where it states :

"The modems are technically capable of throughput speeds of 8 to 27 Mb/s in the downstream path and the upstream path ranges from 1 - 3 Mb/s."

Thats what was sold to me.

Originally posted by dan2525:
    Violent - You're obviously a bright guy with better than average general computer skills. You understand the LAN/shared bandwidth concepts of the cable system. I was wondering what sort of response or outcome you were envisioning from your original post? You warned people of all the hassle you went through but you were contemplating sharing the uncapping method. As bright as you are, you must realize that you're situation is unique, localized and based on the findings of what I assume is a lower level court judge (I can't remember if you mention what the court level was) and that the odds of someone else having the same outcome have to be slim to non-existant. You'd also know what would happen if enough people on your node uncapped and that if you released the sniffer logs, you'd have no way of knowing if someone who used them was on your node. Where did you see all this going?

[This message has been edited by Violent (edited 07-13-2000).]

TeCk

Angry

CLOSE THIS REALLY DUMB THREAD!
    im sick of seeing it bleh

------------------
    Baud...James Baud.

Gamer

Violent, I totally agree with you. Its nice to see that someone feels the same way I do on this subject. I totally support what you have done. Think about it, you have the power in your hands to basically destroy a portion of what was the previously inpenatrable monopolistic fortress, that is the cable companies.

And everyone give him a brake! would a person wright such huge and in depth responses to people's insults, and doubts on his uncapping his modem if he wansn't really passionate in what he has accomlished, I doubt it.

Gamer

Violent, I totally agree with you. Its nice to see that someone feels the same way I do on this subject. I totally support what you have done. Think about it, you have the power in your hands to basically destroy a portion of what was the previously inpenatrable monopolistic fortress, that is the cable companies.

And everyone give him a brake! would a person wright such huge and in depth responses to people's insults, and doubts on his uncapping his modem if he wansn't really passionate in what he has accomlished, I doubt it.

Lightbulb

Originally posted by ssjDoh:
    Hey Violent, try this...send a file to Brent or John (they get fast downloads) and have them say how fast they downloaded from you. I'm sure a mod won't lie

Hey Violent ,This is truly the only way to prove that this is all real and not made up I knew people where going to shoot screenshots down (seen it too many times in emulators) and the scanned court documents not going to work either. If you really want to prove your right you need to ftp Brent or John a file. That's really the only way.

One more thing don't close this thread yet, it has been the funniest and interesting thread of all time.