Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $100 an hour, for what?

$100 an hour, for what?

Man am I pissed.

I was on a call today to "switch the location of 2 PC's" and reroute a couple of network cables(that was what it started as)

The previous "tech" guy (for $100 an hour) hadn't updated either PC's antivi AT ALL. McAffee on one, just a trial, and Norton on another, I think it said Norton for Win95. YEAH, it was THAT old.

One PC was full of spyware (over 300), but luckily no viruses. (Win98)
    The other PC (XP) was full of spyware (over 300) and 14 viruses/trojans/worms. I couldn't change ANY settings at all. Nothing would write to the registry. Couldn't even get AVG installed properly. Too many reg entries wouldn't go. Logged in as an admin, but couldn't do a damn thing, even after removing all the viri/spy's. Too much damage done to the user part of the registry I suppose.
    I'm going to have to go back and wipe it out. Not enough time today, got started too late.

My rant...
    I don't think a good tech deserves $100/hour let alone a wannabe like the guy taking care of these PC's.

Very frustrating day today trying to think with a women bombarding me with questions constantly. I even tried to let her know I needed to focus, and be able to keep a train of thought if I was going to complete today.
    Oh well, thier money, not mine. (well it's mine NOW hehe) and more coming.

My rates are going up.
    If a no good for nothing can charge $100/hour then I can charge more than $35/hour that's for damn sure.

ok, I'm done lol

[edit] It's good to be home [edit]

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    If a no good for nothing can charge $100/hour then I can charge more than $35/hour that's for damn sure.

ok, I'm done lol

[edit] It's good to be home [edit]
    $35/hour? Canadian? LOL Norm, that's WAY too cheap. Granted you don't want to rip off the customer, but your time and knowledge has to be worth more than that. Our company pays $100/hr (US), but we get pretty good support.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuf
    $35/hour? Canadian? LOL Norm, that's WAY too cheap. Granted you don't want to rip off the customer, but your time and knowledge has to be worth more than that. Our company pays $100/hr (US), but we get pretty good support.
    I don't have a lot of business customers. Probably less than 5. Maybe the reason why is my rate. They may think I'm too cheap to be any good, who knows.
    I'll raise my business rate to $85 plus, parts, travel and expenses and see what happens.

Residential customers though, they really can't afford that much so I give them a break. Sometimes cut the bill in half too. I can tell those who have enough from those who don't.

Do the math.
    $100/hour with 40 hrs/week brings in over $160,000 a year. WAY too much.
    $35/hour with 40hrs/week brings in over $50,000 a year. (good enough)

This tech came from a firm that sends techs out at $100/hr. They should be in jail for sending idiots out for that kind of money.

SG Enthusiast
    I don't have a lot of business customers. Probably less than 5. Maybe the reason why is my rate. They may think I'm too cheap to be any good, who knows.
    I'll raise my business rate to $85 plus, parts, travel and expenses and see what happens.

Residential customers though, they really can't afford that much so I give them a break. Sometimes cut the bill in half too. I can tell those who have enough from those who don't.

Do the math.

This tech came from a firm that sends techs out at $100/hr. They should be in jail for sending idiots out for that kind of money.
    And probably paying the tech $20/hr or less no doubt.

Norm, 35 an hour is waaaay cheap, especially for someone with your abilities.

Bit of advice:

Big comapny with HR department or billing department...RAPE them. 120 an hour +. Just get it done right and on time. The way those kinda businesses operate the system just pays the bills and goes on about the grind. If you get it done properly you'll get paid.
    Smaller company, different story here. Usually it's a jack-of-all-trades kinda person that does the billing and actually has concern about the price/performance ratios. Gettin to know this person and negotiating a price works here. Haggling works wonders.

I know this due to the way my company does things and I often interact with larger comapnies. If it's a big corporation, I stick it to em...pull no punches. If it's a small time mom and pop kinda place I have a sit-down and make em feel like a deal is being made. The mom and pop places often recommend ya to others, so a "buddy-buddy" feel is what to aim for.

Hope that helps.

Do the math.

WHAT?!?!?

Look Normie, the business world is cut-throat. If you don't look out for number one, who is? You can be a decent person, yet still bring in the dough. If managed to rake in 140k a year, you could hire someone, give them the icky parts of job and pay em well for thier trouble.

It's not about greed at all. Its about feeding the mouths in the house. Goin to the Bahamas for a killer vacation. Having enough disposal income to relax now and agin. Look out for yourself and give the customer what they need for a reasonable price, these are not mutually exclusive.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

To top off my day....

I had a tooth pulled last week (actually 3 of them)
    I'm just now, after days of pain, digging out the remains of one tooth that was somehow overlooked. I'm ripping my gum open with a toothpick and digging it out, sheesh.
    Doesn't anyone do a good job anymore?
    At $150 per tooth you think they'd get it all.

Maybe I'll start a dental business, and charge $50 a tooth.
    Bring your own tooth picks lol

Almost got it all. What a bloody mess.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    My rates are going up.
    You! Certainly I'd raise them. Competance deserves it. That other idiot....you've gotta simply hope a reputation for incompetance will soon follow him everywhere..better yet....precede him and his company.

My motto....(I think I got picked this up from TWWBA)..."I love other consultants, they're my best source of business!"

...in other words...you pickup clients which are tired of their current incompetant tech support, and want a real computer guru.

And...LOL...I just saw one of those "Geek Patrol" or whatever, VW Bugs the other day. White shirt nerd driving it.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yeah, I hear ya Brembo.
    Enough of this mr nice guy routine. It's time I got what I'm worth.

About the tooth.
    There's a piece still there that I'm almost sure is still rooted. Gotta go get the pliers for this one. Until I make the $160,000 a year, I'm going to have to pull my own teeth out from now on.
    It's not so hard. And my nerves never freeze good anyway so the pains the same.

Damn, $35 an hour? I charge small biz's $85-$100 an hour and home users $50-$65 an hour, depending on how I made contact with the client. I've gone through way too much crap to charge that little, I learned after my first few clients, that charging too low is not worth it. Up them rates Norm!!

YOSC, my problem is I'm nervous in a business environment. Small businesses are ok, peer to peer stuff. No problems at all, very confident.

Servers etc, I'm not well informed enough. Desktops, sure I could troubleshoot and fix anything. That's not what large companies want though. They need good networking gurus (like you ).

I got all my experience from working hands on at home with what I could afford to own. Which by the way wasn't too much. Still using a P3 600 class machine. Couldn't afford server MS software until recently (MSDN freebee)

Looking to the future....

What the market can bear Norm...what the market can bear. I've heard of 150/hour in my parts.

I adjust per client, per the needs of the client, and for what the setup is. Business clients will be 100/hour. But some higher end stuff, based on their needs, I am starting to charge more. I have one lawyer client who's in the "Top 100 who's who" of lawyers in this country, Donald Trump is one of his clients. When his office manager calls me, it's a$$es 'n elbows to get there as fast as I can for whatever that reason is. That network must run perfect. I got the job after they were tired of a constantly crashing network that some other so called consultant had installed and tried to maintain.

Home users though, that's another issue. Although I try to keep those jobs to a minimum for me, in reality, I'll often spend at least several hours doing one of those yet still just bill for one or one and a half hours.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

YOSC, my problem is I'm nervous in a business environment. Small businesses are ok, peer to peer stuff. No problems at all, very confident.
    Yeah, but knowing you, you'll be mastering those in no time once you get your hands on some.

And there's plenty of P2P business networks...I just picked up a hair salon a couple of weeks ago (3rd consultant to try to get it running).(and I did)
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    And...LOL...I just saw one of those "Geek Patrol" or whatever, VW Bugs the other day. White shirt nerd driving it.
    lol

Reminds me of the guy that installed my nic when I got cable internet lol

He knocked out my sound and fax modem (not enough irq's using win98)
    I told him never mind, I'll fix it myself lol

Damn Norm I always had you pegged as a guy who was extemely knowledgable about damn near evreything . But man You are wrg about 35$ an hr. Raise that up to 65$ right away.

people expect to pay high prices for the quality tech you are/ give them what they want and what you deserve.

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

And there's plenty of P2P business networks...I just picked up a hair salon a couple of weeks ago (3rd consultant to try to get it running).(and I did)
    I got a call from a reg customer to see if I could figure out why his company's (one) PC couldn't connect. Was told 3 guys had already tried.
    5 minutes and done.

One digit off in the gateway addy. Spotted it right away cause of SG network forums Just happened to remember linksys uses 192.168.1.0 as the gateway, not 192.168.0.1 like my Netgear.

Wierd though, they haven't called me since.

Honestly guys, I would lose my residential customers, and gain very few more if I raised my rate. The average dude can't afford it.

Even though there are inferior techs out there, the customer doesn't really know who knows thier stuff until it's too late. It would take a long time to build a rep and get enough business.

My rates will still be going up for any new customers though.
    The customers that have stayed with me this far can keep the old rate.

Well...strive to move into the business clients. Keep rates low for residential, but as you pickup business clients...raise that rate according to level of difficulty of what you're taking care of.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Well...strive to move into the business clients. Keep rates low for residential, but as you pickup business clients...raise that rate according to level of difficulty of what you're taking care of.
    1.1?
    You sure? Even on some of the early models?

Good advice I'll be taking advantage of, thanks.

Norm,

Let's say there were two lawn keepers. One charged 30 bucks an hour and another 70.

Knowing that your pretty observant of human nature, and say you did a poll, who do you think most people would think did the better work between them?

Why?