Thread: I may have a serious problem on my modem/ internet connection. Cant access Mcafee.com

I may have a serious problem on my modem/ internet connection. Cant access Mcafee.com

Hi everyone,

I am newb here and this is my first post here. Someone over at abxzone.com recommended that I try and look for a solution to my problem here. I would truly be grateful for any help I can get on this problem.

first allow me to post alink to the thread at abxzone so that I can avoid a lenghty thread here

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84908

can someone please help me. I am a my wits end here.

thank you

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    I would try unistalling maccaffee and see if that works then if does keep that product off just to test i would also goto my computer control panel network and dialup connections remove all the internet connection reboot and reinstall a new one.
    Comptia a+ n+

Hi Mccoffee.

I tried that with a Linux Box that had no McAfee and it did the same thing.
    Also if I may , the removing and reinstalling ;how would that make a difference. ( I am not questioning you, I am trying to understand)

looking at your post again i did miss something i would try a new network cable and reinstall the network card drivers make sure the router's firmware is up to date . then take it from there if you tried that and it didnt' help i would try what i suggesting at first it sounded like more of an applicaton layer promblem as i said i i missed the statement below.

What modem do you have and rotuer ???

randomly picked one Ip address and tried a trace on it. As soon as I tried that I would get a network cable unplugged icon in my tray and my modem appeared to go off line. only two lights would be on the modem.; the power and cable. the PC and DATA would be off. If shut the McAfee program down my modem would come back online. !!!!

I've tried McAfee and COMCAST both of whom are baffled. So they
    Comptia a+ n+

I had terrayon that I swtiched with a Webstar dpc2100 (I think may have the letter backwards) and a Linksys BEFSX41

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177 try this if you haven't already
    Comptia a+ n+

Ok dude.. I read the other forum on your problem.. and sounds as if its comming from your ISP not your computers as you put it.. it sounds too simple seein as how you can't access some sites with none of 3 computers 1 of which has a total different way to browse. So I guess you have Comcast.. well call them and tell them "Hey your systems won't let me access such and such sites... I'm sure they have a problem on there end with perhaps a firewall they use and virus scanning they use thats causing the problem.. I could be wrong but this is my guess from reading other problems of this nature.

sava has a point in a way it kinda did sound like dns issues but sometimes old firmware and no static ip's linksys usually would have those promblems so that's why i said that.

I was thinking that too i would make sure everything is set up righ locally b4 calling the isp.
    Comptia a+ n+

Registered User therealcableguy's Avatar

Mcafee.com

Do you have Comcast? If so, we had a Mcafee problem earlier.It should be resolved now.

HEY guys !

looks like you were right about the problem being beyond the walls of my home. Wednesday night I booted everything back up, said a Prayer and viola I was able to connect. Am I Glad. I Seriously thought my PC had been compromised. Thanks for all your support and input.

PS: "therealcableguy" do you work for Comcast ?

Quote Originally Posted by alien resident
    HEY guys !

looks like you were right about the problem being beyond the walls of my home. Wednesday night I booted everything back up, said a Prayer and viola I was able to connect. Am I Glad. I Seriously thought my PC had been compromised. Thanks for all your support and input.

PS: "therealcableguy" do you work for Comcast ?
    Yep! at your service

Quote Originally Posted by therealcableguy
    Yep! at your service
    Cool ! in that case I have a question. In your professional opinion which is the better modem:

I had a Terrayon TJ 175X, which I exchanged for a Webstar/ScientificAtlanta DPC 2100.

(looks wise I like the Terrayon better.)

neither lol Surfboard 5200 I think is the way to go.. but yeah Terrayon if you gotta pick between those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700
    neither lol Surfboard 5200 I think is the way to go.. but yeah Terrayon if you gotta pick between those two.
    CRAP !. I guess I'll be making a trip back to COMCAST. Hope they are willing to work with me.

I happen to have an RCA DCM305 in my house at the moment.However, after seeing the performance of more modems than I can remember I have to say they all perform the same.Pick the one that looks the coolest.

Quote Originally Posted by therealcableguy
    Pick the one that looks the coolest.
    once again CRAP! The Terrayon looked better and I had screws on my wall for its slots not the DCP2100

oops!