Thread: Network can't see wireless laptop

Network can't see wireless laptop

This might be a little long but I'll try to give you all information on my setup that might be applicable. I just recently got a laptop that I wanted to add to my home network. Before the laptop I had three computers linked through a wired linksys router and all three shared the internet and could see each other. I got a linksys wireless router a while back but shelved it after I couldn't get the port forwarding to work.

I decided to add the linksys wireless router to the network as a switch by changing it's IP and disabling DHCP. I configured the wireless options in the router, password protected the wireless portion and fired everything up. Here is the problem.

The laptop sees the wireless signal and I can login using the password. The laptop is receiving an IP from the wired router like it should and I can access the internet through the laptop. However, I can't see any of the other computers through the laptop and the other computers can't see the laptop. All software firewalls (including windows) are disabled and file sharing is enabled. The laptop is on the same work group as the others. The laptops name shows up in the network but when I click on it I get the "you don't have permission to look at this computer" message.

Sorry about the long post but this is driving my nuts and I have found nothing on the net that addresses this issue. Thanks for any help.

go to start > run and type in //WorkGroupName

Try that and see what happens?

Thanks for the suggestion. I typed in //WorkGroupName but windows came back and said it couldn't find it and to make sure I typed it correctly. If I look in the properties of My Computer on the laptop, the correct workgroup is listed. Thanks.

PS That command came back with the same reply on all of my computers.

SG Enthusiast
    Which protocol is bound to file&print sharing?

Do you have a user account in common on both the laptop and the other boxes? Can the other boxes still browse each other (just not the laptop)?
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

I know where the file and print sharing option is under the network properties but I don't see where it states what protocol it is using. Where is it exactly? None of the computers have user accounts set up on them since it is a home network and it is just me and the wife. No kids to keep out. Also, the three desktops can still all see each other with no problem.

The thing that is driving me crazy is the laptop computer name is showing up under the network on my desktops, I just can't access it. I've been putting together computers and networking them for over five years now and this problem wins hands down. Granted, I've never gone wireless before or had two routers on the same network. Every other issue I've run across I've had solved within an hour of research on the net. This is what makes computers so fun. Anyways, thanks for the help so far. Keep the ideas comming.

Here is a small tip for all of you amateur networkers out there. If you are going to use two routers in the same network, disable the firewall in the one that is acting like a switch.

After all the agrivation, all I had to do was click on one button. I decided to start from scratch and look at all the settings in the wireless router and as soon as I saw the option for the firewall a light bulb illuminated over my head. All is well now. Thanks.

Hi..

Quote Originally Posted by raj119
    I know where the file and print sharing option is under the network properties but I don't see where it states what protocol it is using. Where is it exactly? None of the computers have user accounts set up on them since it is a home network and it is just me and the wife. No kids to keep out. Also, the three desktops can still all see each other with no problem.

The thing that is driving me crazy is the laptop computer name is showing up under the network on my desktops, I just can't access it. I've been putting together computers and networking them for over five years now and this problem wins hands down. Granted, I've never gone wireless before or had two routers on the same network. Every other issue I've run across I've had solved within an hour of research on the net. This is what makes computers so fun. Anyways, thanks for the help so far. Keep the ideas comming.
    Read my reply to the guy that can't ping his desktop with the laptop,maybe it will help you.
    N.