Thread: DLP Projector?

DLP Projector?

I am looking to purchase a DLP projector instead of a DLP TV. A friend mentioned going this route to me as a space and money saver.

I am just curious if the resolution will be as good or whether it will be lacking.

I thought I would ask here at SG if anyone has had any experience with them.

I am aware of bulbs burning out etc. but, if the picture is good and the bulbs last 5000 hours. I am confident it will be a good purchase.

So, if anyone has any insight about a DLP projector and screen please let me know.

I would prefer the best input which as far as I know would be a DVI input. I may be wrong though ....

TIA,

-lance
    A mistake does not become an error until one refuses to correct it

Folding for the future

just a little bump for the late nighters

Folding for the future

I've heard the only complaint with DLP's is the "rainbow" effect that can happen across the picture. I went with an LCD projector for the color clarity... but for contrast, DLP can't be beat. 5000 hrs... years of use. I've put on less than 200 hours in the last year.

ps... it's real easy to build a screen. built mine for under $50. Bought screen material from ebay for $30 and spent about $20 on 2x2's for the frame.
    In researching screens to buy, a manual "roll-up" screen can be had for $200 or less. The pimpin' electric screens are $500+
    Abit NF7, 2500+ o/c'd to 3200+, 1GB 3200 DDR, 9800Pro 128M, DVDrw, 80GB 8M, XPpro

I am thinking I will go with the electric screen since I am too lazy to pull it down myself

Folding for the future

I have a Toshiba DLP projector I got at Best Buy, and I love it. It cost a grand, and has a native resolution of 800x600. It can scale up to 1600x1200, but it looks crappy there, 1024x768 looks ok though. I've got an 80"x80" screen that the picture mostly fills when the screen is proportioned 4:3.

A few things to keep in mind:

You'll need a fairly low light room. Ambient light can give you a faded picture effect. To further compound this, in order to get that 5000 hour life, you are lowering the lamp's output power.

Placement can be an issue as well. I have mine ceiling mounted. I was thrilled to learn that when I had the heater running, the projector would overheat and shutdown.

The rainbow effect is real, but I really don't notice it much anymore. Usually I only notice if I rapidly look at different parts of the screen quickly trying to induce the effect. A higher refresh rate seems to lessen the effect.

I'm not really sure what to tell you about inputs, other than the obvious, i.e., don't hook up a computer to it with the svideo out on your video card. If you want to hook anything to it using component video, you will likely need an adapter, or at least I did with my cheapo Sanyo dvd player. I have only used vga cables for hooking the box up to it, and crappy cables can give a shadowing effect. I would imagine a digital signal would be less susceptible to noise, I can't say for sure though. Keep in mind all your cables can get quite long, depending on the placement of your projector and its sources.

www.projectorcentral.com

I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing!!