Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ipod/competing mp3 player question

disabled account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebakh
    http://www.thetechlounge.com/review...._zen_nx&page=4

I agree with that - the sound quality on the zens equals that of the Ipod, however, the included earphones for the zen do not. You have to invest in a decent set of headphones if you're a music enthusiast.

Third party battery providers exist for the IPod which are both less expensive and allow user serviceability. In addition, they are comparing the Zen to the older Ipod, no?
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthe
    Third party battery providers exist for the IPod which are both less expensive and allow user serviceability. In addition, they are comparing the Zen to the older Ipod, no?

Yeah, but that third party battery voids your warranty. Say the hard-drive breaks later, neither the battery people nor apple can help you out.

I don't doubt the ipod is technically better, so I'm not sweating that end so much...

Apple always kicked ass. They change the game every couple years. I remember when the ibooks came out, they made all the pc laptops of the time look like crap. Same w the mac point-and-click OS, same with OS X, same with desktop publishing, same with the first use of a mouse on a personal computer, same with pretty much everything else they've ever done. They're innovators and they make high quality products.

But then what happens? Microsoft, IBM and all the other companies rip them off. The clones aren't quite as good, but they're close enough, cost a lot less and are much more configurable and less of a hassle. Apples stock drops, they lag, then they come out with yet another brilliant product, and the cycle repeats.
    Funny is when a fat lady walks around while someone plays the tuba. Once you've seen that, you'll never laugh at anything else. Except maybe a skeleton dancing around while someone plays the xylophone, which is almost exactly the opposite of a fat lady walking around while someone plays the tuba. Well, a skeleton is the opposite of a fat lady. But is a xylophone the opposite of a tuba? History will decide.

disabled account
    By the time the battery expires so does the warranty, otherwise Apple would simply have to replace it FOC.

david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

Quote Originally Posted by jayyy
    I want to buy a 40G ipod off a friend, but he's saying that itunes will require me to keep al my mp3s on my pc, and the ipod will just copy from there, and if the itunes and ipod dont match up its no go.

This is impossible for me without buying an external drive for my laptop, bcause I don't have the space. I wanted to put mp3s on the player from my laptop, then delete the files from my laptops hard drive and make the copy on the player the only one. I wanted my mp3 player to basically be my external drive. I don't want to buy two items to make one work.

does anyone know about the dell, creative labs models, etc? Do they run this anti-piracy crap, or are they just basically just big portable HDs that I can plug into any pc by usb and drop and drag mp3s as I please?
    jayyy,

If you turn on manual update in itunes (which is mucho better than autoupdate IMHO), you don't have to keep tunes on your pc. actually, even with autoupdate, you don't have to keep your tunes on your pc, you just have to keep them in itunes, have it transfer to your ipod, and then you can delete the folder with the songs. What will happen this way will be that itunes will haev the songs in the library, but when you try to play them through itunes, you can't, because the songs aren't on your hdd. That's pretty much it.

But again, i really like manual update much better than autoupdate.

I wub my ipod by the way, really small device, no BS GUI, and, everything works with each other very well.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"Weapons of Ass Destruction"

Quote Originally Posted by Mehmet
    jayyy,

If you turn on manual update in itunes (which is mucho better than autoupdate IMHO), you don't have to keep tunes on your pc. actually, even with autoupdate, you don't have to keep your tunes on your pc, you just have to keep them in itunes, have it transfer to your ipod, and then you can delete the folder with the songs. What will happen this way will be that itunes will haev the songs in the library, but when you try to play them through itunes, you can't, because the songs aren't on your hdd. That's pretty much it.

But again, i really like manual update much better than autoupdate.

I wub my ipod by the way, really small device, no BS GUI, and, everything works with each other very well.
    Thats good to know, thanks.

Saw and compared the ipod to the zen nomad jukebox the other day and rethinking my own opinion...proportionately, the isn't just a little slimmer and lighter, its a LOT slimmer and lighter. And I'm thinking, "I plan on carrying this with me everywhere I go, day after day, for the next few years..." know what I mean?

I'm realizing the smooth edges on the ipod arent just fashion, its ergonomics too, and it makes a big difference.

The zen one touch is supposed to be slimmer and smoother than the jukebox model though, so I'll check that one out first.

I've got a lot of friends (usually artsy non-technical types) that swear by macs and get this weird loyalty and attachment to them...theres definitely something weirdly appealing about apple products...its like owning a bmw or a rolex or something. It seems like with the ipod they hit on something that even PC users can get into.

I want one, but for various reasons its a pain. Even if I can configure my own computer, I can't drop in a net cafe somewhere on the road, link it up and download more onto it on the go. At least not without time and a hassle...
    Funny is when a fat lady walks around while someone plays the tuba. Once you've seen that, you'll never laugh at anything else. Except maybe a skeleton dancing around while someone plays the xylophone, which is almost exactly the opposite of a fat lady walking around while someone plays the tuba. Well, a skeleton is the opposite of a fat lady. But is a xylophone the opposite of a tuba? History will decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

jayyy....you might also check out the Archos Gmini...

Great sound but it doesn't come with as many accessories as the IPod...I'm considering this one or the Toshiba Gigabeat....It's already setup for Wi-Fi but I'm not excited about it's controls. It's also expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by jayyy
    I want one, but for various reasons its a pain. Even if I can configure my own computer, I can't drop in a net cafe somewhere on the road, link it up and download more onto it on the go. At least not without time and a hassle...
    Yeah you can dude, just get the songs on a pc, make sure you have manual update, and drag and drop to your ipod. boom, you are done.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"Weapons of Ass Destruction"

Well, I went with the Ipod, thanks to Mehmet and Johns advice

Its formatted to mac, but I'm stalling clearing it because my friend had 20 gigs of good music on it. Quality product, I can see why everyone is so loyal to it

One thing- I was looking at it on my sofa and thinking the size and shape looked familiar...than it hit me- its the exact size of a pack of playing cards down to length, width and depth. Thats steve jobs for you...same guy that put his engineers at work for years trying to make a pc case that cooled naturally so that tehy wouldn't have to install a noisy fan. I'll bet you anything he demanded it be the size of a deck of playing cards before they even developed an mp3 player.

Consider one with a built in FM transmitter for use in vehicles. Makes it much more portable for going to work and such.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-