Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipod/competing mp3 player question

Ipod/competing mp3 player question

I want to buy a 40G ipod off a friend, but he's saying that itunes will require me to keep al my mp3s on my pc, and the ipod will just copy from there, and if the itunes and ipod dont match up its no go.

This is impossible for me without buying an external drive for my laptop, bcause I don't have the space. I wanted to put mp3s on the player from my laptop, then delete the files from my laptops hard drive and make the copy on the player the only one. I wanted my mp3 player to basically be my external drive. I don't want to buy two items to make one work.

does anyone know about the dell, creative labs models, etc? Do they run this anti-piracy crap, or are they just basically just big portable HDs that I can plug into any pc by usb and drop and drag mp3s as I please?
    Funny is when a fat lady walks around while someone plays the tuba. Once you've seen that, you'll never laugh at anything else. Except maybe a skeleton dancing around while someone plays the xylophone, which is almost exactly the opposite of a fat lady walking around while someone plays the tuba. Well, a skeleton is the opposite of a fat lady. But is a xylophone the opposite of a tuba? History will decide.

Don't know a lot about it yet...

Check out http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/

Thats probably the way i will go, i have some downloaded tunes, but mostly the 500 music cd's i've turned into MP3's with a ripper, as the machine gets better, i don't want to have to re rip it all,...

Those iRivers look pretty nice. *drools* iRiver
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

Hmm, yes I never really thought of it that way since I keep my collection on here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy
    Those iRivers look pretty nice. *drools* iRiver

They do look sweet...nicer than the ipods actually. And I like the way they just cut the BS and call it a hard drive player.

The price is about the same though...I figured if I wasn't buying apple I could get something cheaper. The picture viewing feature isn't something I really need/want to pay for.
    Funny is when a fat lady walks around while someone plays the tuba. Once you've seen that, you'll never laugh at anything else. Except maybe a skeleton dancing around while someone plays the xylophone, which is almost exactly the opposite of a fat lady walking around while someone plays the tuba. Well, a skeleton is the opposite of a fat lady. But is a xylophone the opposite of a tuba? History will decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyler1
    Hmm, yes I never really thought of it that way since I keep my collection on here anyway.

Its a pain...I sort of live on the go so its not really practical for me.

External HD are at pretty good prices right now...but its the principle of it. Apple always does this, you have to fit into their plan, its never configurable.

Go with the iRiver or the Creative Zen One Touch.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    Go with the iRiver or the Creative Zen One Touch.
    The zen one touch is looking alright...I'll probably go with that.

iRiver has FM radio and voice recording, that's my next purchase.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    iRiver has FM radio and voice recording, that's my next purchase.

For some reason the models w/ the picture viewer are the same price, too.

But I've got or can get most of the extra stuff like picture storage, voice recording or fm radio on my cell phone anyway, and the battery life is better on creative, 24 hours to 16. And its 100 dollars cheaper.

iriver looks sweet though...only weakness next to the new high line ipod is its only a 40 gig HD.

You might want to wait until after they release the mp3/media players in mass. The price of the mp3 only players should drop.

Ipods look nice but I dont want to have to convert mp3s to itunes format.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    You don't have to.

You just drag and drop. Keep all your dir's where they are. Itunes is just a portal between your existing files and the ipod.

You don't even have to use Itunes, as stated in my above post

Cool, I thought it would just play Itunes, maybe that was the first version or something.

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    No anti-piracy on the Zens. You can use it as an external HD.

There is software out there than makes it so you can just drag and drop songs, you can also have it set up to show up in my computer as an extra HD, as I said.
    actually, i just read that apple is sicking their lawyers on the people that make that. and the new itunes wont support it.

they could make a new one anyway, but it a hassle...plus, every computer i use would have to have both itunes and that crack on it, not just my own.

creative zen seems almost if not as good and more configurable...and the battery life is a lot longer.

i always love apples products, but it always seems like for one reason or another theyre not practical to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SRF01
    You might want to wait until after they release the mp3/media players in mass. The price of the mp3 only players should drop.
    ive been waiting almost 4 years...i know theyll go down more, but they always do. ive gotta cave, handling all those cds and random mp3 files is driving me nuts

disabled account
    I was under the impression that the Ipod had the superior sound quality.
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

As far as I can recall, Apple includes instructions in their manual that comes with the Ipod, regarding how to make it into an external HD that is recognized by windows so you can store files on it. Am I just crazy?

I think he's talking about the drag and drop software u meantioned.

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthe
    I was under the impression that the Ipod had the superior sound quality.
    http://www.thetechlounge.com/review...._zen_nx&page=4

I agree with that - the sound quality on the zens equals that of the Ipod, however, the included earphones for the zen do not. You have to invest in a decent set of headphones if you're a music enthusiast.

What kind of hard-drive based mp3 player review would this be without a comparison to the undeniably sexy Apple iPod? The Zen NX is a bit larger and the interface, although very easy to use, pales in comparison to the touchpad-like navigation of the iPod. However, the Zen NX has a user-replaceable, reasonably priced rechargeable battery where the iPod requires you to send it in for battery replacement lest you void the warranty by attempting it yourself. Cost is a major plus for the Zen NX; the 20GB version is about $160 less than the same capacity iPod.

As far as I can recall, Apple includes instructions in their manual that comes with the Ipod, regarding how to make it into an external HD that is recognized by windows so you can store files on it. Am I just crazy?
    Nah, I meant the plug-ins that let you transfer songs. Infact, they're forcing everyone to take the upgrade so that those features don't work anymore. here's the link-

http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/Ap...ade-37877.html

The update disables an add-on program that allowed iPod users to transfer songs from their players.

It's not the first time that Apple has used an upgrade to disable a feature -- 4.0.1 ended Internet-based play list sharing in 2003.
    Plus they're looking to shut down third-party plug-ins legally.