Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Someone Help Me Understand This?

Can Someone Help Me Understand This?

"POPLAR BLUFF, Missouri (AP) -- A new policy at a high school requiring students to wear identification badges has prompted some parents to complain and students to protest the move as an infringement on their rights."

Besides being a kid and just not wanting too I don't see the big deal with this at all. Parents are pulling students out of school over it? come on. I would bet most of have to wear some form of a badge at work, I know I have never looked at it as infringing on my rights. What gives?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/11....ap/index.html

I wear multiple badges. It not only helps my co-workers (400+ in this building) know that I am a federal employee, but it also allows us to quickly identify who is NOT an employee. It’s the guy without the badge that you have to watch out for.

Badges are good.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

I agree with you. I wear a badge at my job so people know who I am. I think its a good idea

"Oh look! It's that *** <whoever> that everyone talks about! Let's kick his ass!"

Name tags can also pull whatever shreads of anonyminity that protects someone away.

Quote Originally Posted by Paft
    "Oh look! It's that *** <whoever> that everyone talks about! Let's kick his ass!"

Name tags can also pull whatever shreads of anonyminity that protects someone away.
    when I was in high school..i dont think we need a name tag to know who everyone was...

And there were 2,000 students I think

Paft, if it's someone who everyone talks about in school, pretty much everyone will also know the face. I really don't see a big deal about it. I guess when you work for a larger company you're just used to it opposed to high school kids, but yeah, there's not much to say about wearing a badge, really. Look, it could be worse, some schools (even public schools in some countries) require you to wear the school uniform. That would piss me off a lot more.
    ex-WoW-addict

Somehow I don't think anonyminity in POPLAR BLUFF, Missouri is an issue lol

It's not like theres a yellow star on the badge for cryin' out loud.

people are stupid

i see nothing wrong with school badges

there are lots of jobs out in the real world that require you to wear a badge

it aint gonna harm anyone

it'd help me actually since i'm not too good at remembering names

I dunno. I got nothin' on this one. Seems the school is being paranoid and the parents hypersensitive.

I can, for instance, understand requiring visible badging of all adults. I've not heard of any school skipper who went to ANOTHER sschool to try and blend in to the classes though.

A transgressor would either not be recognized in the class or be caught hanging around the hallways during classtime. In either case they are VERY likely to be challenged. Since all students are required to carry the school ID on them I'm not sure what additional security is gained by having it visible at all times.

The "At a glance" argument I think is a bit weak since hallways are a jumble of kids during class changes, and when class is in session anyone NOT in class is automatically a really sore thumb sticking out.

I just.. I dunno. I think both sides are being a bit silly. The School Admin is apparently allowing kids to alter the ID's with stickers as a form of free speech, which means their value just dropped to about -10.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

"I believe this country needs security. But if we put ourselves in a cage just to be safe, what kind of life do we have? There is a fine line there, and I wonder if we are beginning to cross it," Durbin said

While I think he has a good point there, I really do wonder if school badges are the most important place to start looking.
    ex-WoW-addict

Eh....I dunno. Seems to me the kids would want a bit more security, I know I'd wanna be doin anything to prevent a big tragedy. Besides it's SCHOOL, yer supposed to have few freedoms in school. Structured enviroment and all that jazz.

I went to a school that required that I wear a coat and tie just about everyday, other wise it was a button-up shirt and khakis. I didn't bitch, they would have told me to leave. Not quite uniforms, but students and teachers were real easy to pick out when there were "outsiders" about. It wasn't a secuirty measure anyway, more like snobbery. Made dressing for school easy. Coat/tie/pants. No decisions on what political/social statement to make with a t-shirt.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Now that I think about it I like bouncers Idea of just having the school employees wear badges, but require the school students to at least have their school ID on their person, like in their wallet or pocket so a school Admin can ask for it if they need to see it.

BTW I'm Pro school Uniforms.

One case: You are at school, walking the halls, the "hall monitors" want to know your name to see if you have class during that period. If not, what are you doing at school? Eliminates people who give false names...etc..

Security from visitors... no name tag.. who are you? Yup yup

OH WOW AN ID CARD... I AM GOING TO DIE.. EVERYONE KNOWS MY NAME NOW bs bsbs bs bs bs bs bsbs

err erks me...

(btw, I graduate HS not long ago and we had name tags so disregaurd some of my ranting)

Quote Originally Posted by SeedOfChaos
    "I believe this country needs security. But if we put ourselves in a cage just to be safe, what kind of life do we have? There is a fine line there, and I wonder if we are beginning to cross it," Durbin said

While I think he has a good point there, I really do wonder if school badges are the most important place to start looking.

Exactly, I just don't see the "fine line" in this case that he is referring to. What everyone in school knowing who you are? That's the case anyway, and should. I don't want someone in my kids school that nobody knows who they are.

What if someone stole your identity?

For instance..what if a 6'4" amazon chick stole Noevo's identity when he was in school and started getting good grades in chemistry?

I think some safeguards need to be put in place.....we should demand our kids get retinal scans..

After reading all the responses… I guess I would say that it’s appropriate in the government office I work in… but not necessarily necessary in a school.

A “risk assessment” should be done at the school so there is a balance between individual freedom and protection.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

That's a little podunk town. People are distrustful of the .gov and think it might be the one step in the direction of national ID cards.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Quote Originally Posted by downhill
    What if someone stole your identity?

For instance..what if a 6'4" amazon chick stole Noevo's identity when he was in school and started getting good grades in chemistry?

I think some safeguards need to be put in place.....we should demand our kids get retinal scans..
    shhhh! no one has figured it out yet!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    Eh....I dunno. Seems to me the kids would want a bit more security, I know I'd wanna be doin anything to prevent a big tragedy. Besides it's SCHOOL, yer supposed to have few freedoms in school. Structured enviroment and all that jazz.

I went to a school that required that I wear a coat and tie just about everyday, other wise it was a button-up shirt and khakis. I didn't bitch, they would have told me to leave. Not quite uniforms, but students and teachers were real easy to pick out when there were "outsiders" about. It wasn't a secuirty measure anyway, more like snobbery. Made dressing for school easy. Coat/tie/pants. No decisions on what political/social statement to make with a t-shirt.

I pretty much agree with Brembo.

School = rules and discipline. Or should, IMO.
    I also had to wear an oxford shirt, tie, no jeans, had to have a belt, socks, shoes (no sneakers allowed), and hair could not touch the collar of your shirt.

If the safety and security, law and order of the school requires ID tags with magnetic passes to gain access to doors, bathrooms, etc (just like our high school implemented this year)...then so be it! They have my .
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paft

Yes maybe but it can also make some pedophile or attacker obvious if he doesnt have a badge and has no business being there. As a parent I see nothing wrong with that.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!