Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xanax: What is it used for?

Xanax: What is it used for?

I hear a lot of people talking about this. Someone gave me 5 pills when I said I don't always sleep good. Is it a sleeping pill?

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

xanax is used to treat people with anxiety problems...

i have seen it make some people hyper but with me it just made me relaxed not real sleepy just relaxed

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

Quote Originally Posted by tao_jones
    xanax is used to treat people with anxiety problems...

i have seen it make some people hyper but with me it just made me relaxed not real sleepy just relaxed

I was scared to take it but it was scored so I broke it in 1/2 , & took it and I passed out afterwards but I did sleep pretty comfortable.

Thanks Tao!
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Yep anxiety mainly, can be used as a sleeping pill as you found out as well haha!

Quote Originally Posted by wee96
    Yep anxiety mainly, can be used as a sleeping pill as you found out as well haha!
    My worry was if its addictive even after taking it once or twice. I have been through that before in my younger years with "Other" things.

Pie

want to get rid of the other 4 1/2?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil
    Tolerance is a virtue, not a requirement.
    SG Theme Song

Yeah Xanex is habit-forming. Dunno how long or how much, but it IS addictive.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Pie,

Dont worry, you cant get addicted even if you took it for a week, it takes several weeks of heavy dosing to get addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by wee96
    Pie,

Dont worry, you cant get addicted even if you took it for a week, it takes several weeks of heavy dosing to get addicted.
    Yeah right, how would you know?

*LOL*
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil
    Tolerance is a virtue, not a requirement.
    SG Theme Song

Thanks for the info guys!

Pie

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAngel
    Yeah right, how would you know?

*LOL*
    :2cool:

Xanax: What is it used for?
    Technically, it's mostly used to make zombies out of normal people who have nutritional issues or who have not yet located the true source of the supppression they are under (the antagonist who specializes in keeping others down). It's also used because medicos who prescribe it have no clue about the human condition.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

I think that is what my buddy took the night he woke up in the morining with cheese still in his mouth, glass in his hair, wrecked truck, and a whole in the middle of the windshield where the fence post impaled the cab of the truck.

(Don't take it with alcohol and drive)

[QUOTE=thepieman]I hear a lot of people talking about this. Someone gave me 5 pills when I said I don't always sleep good. Is it a sleeping pill?

thepieman, here is some info on those pills..I myself would never take a pill someone gave me unless it was my Dr...I have heard too many stories of allergic reactions a person took a pill, some one gave them..JMHO..

chevyman282

XANAX Generic Name: alprazolam (al PRAH zoe lam) Brand Names: Xanax, Xanax XR. Alprazolam is an anti anxiety agent, benzodiazepine's. Used primarily for short-term relief of mild to moderate anxiety and nervous tension. Alprazolam is also effective in the treatment of activity depression or panic attacks. It can be useful in treating irritable bowel syndrome and anxiety due to a neurosis as well. Alprazolam may help the symptoms of PMS if extreme, some cancers pains if given with various narcotics, Alprazolam is used to relieve anxiety, nervousness, and tension associated with anxiety disorders. agoraphobia, essential tremor, and ringing ears.

Alprazolam is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines.
    Alprazolam affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.
    Alprazolam may also be used for purposes other than those listed here.

CLASS:
    Triazolo Benzodiazepine's.

Generic name:
    Alprazolam.

Type:
    Anti anxiety.

Strengths:

Oral Solution:
    0.25mg , 0.5 mg
    1 mg / 5 ml, 0.25mg / 2.5 ml.
    Tables:
    0.25mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg.

Dosages: Actual dosage must be determined by a physician.

Normal dosage:

USE UP TO EIGHT MONTHS ONLY!
    If under 18 years of age, DO NOT USE!
    18 to 60 years of age, 0.25mg to 1.5mg daily.
    Over 60 years of age, Lower dosage increased cautiously.

Dosage Depends on Disorder:

Oral ( For anxiety or nervous tension ):
    Start : 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg 3 times daily.
    Maximum : 4 mg in 24 hours.

Oral ( For panic disorder ):
    Start : 0.5 mg 3 times daily.
    Increases : 1 mg daily in 3 to 4 day intervals.
    Maximum : 10 mg in 24 hours.

Problems with:

Liver Function: If liver disease present, start dosage at 0.25mg, increase as needed.
    Kidney Function: N/A.
    Testing:

Before taking: None if for short term use.
    While taking: None if for short term use.
    Take With: With or without food. Take each dose with a full glass of water. Do not crush, chew, or break the extended-release form alprazolam (Xanax XR). Swallow them whole.

Full Benefits In: First day to a week.

Missed Dose(s): If within one hour take, if over an hour skip and then continue on your normal schedule. Never Take a Double Dose!

If Stop Taking: Do not stop without consulting your physician and never abruptly if have been taking for over three weeks. Seizures may be a side effect of sudden discontinuation of the medication. Your doctor may recommend a gradual reduction in your dose.

Overdose symptoms include: Confusion, loss of consciousness, or sleepiness. Can be fatal.Seek emergency medical attention if an overdose is suspected.
    Symptoms of an alprazolam overdose include:

Sleepiness.
    Dizziness.
    Confusion.
    A slow heart beat.
    Difficulty breathing.
    Difficulty walking and talking.
    An appearance of being drunk.
    Unconsciousness.
    Remember: Keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
    When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty."
    Theodore Roosevelt

SG Enthusiast
    If it is Xanax XR DO NOT break the pill.

It is a benzodiazepine and it can be addictive in just a few doses.

Absolutely no alcohol or other psycotrophic medication.

Normally given to reduce anxiety.

Send them to me. I'll PM you a mailing address.

People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip Patterson
    If it is Xanax XR DO NOT break the pill.

It is a benzodiazepine and it can be addictive in just a few doses.

Absolutely no alcohol or other psycotrophic medication.

Normally given to reduce anxiety.
    Its not addictive in a few doses, it takes weeks of high doseage to become physically dependant on it. DEFINATELY dont drink alcohol thats correct.

i take klonopin...which i think is the same class..it works pretty good..knocks me out real well when i need it

btw who prescribed it for you and did not tell you what it does? what kind of doctor is that?
    Last edited by Ghosthunter; 10-31-04 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thepieman
    I hear a lot of people talking about this. Someone gave me 5 pills when I said I don't always sleep good. Is it a sleeping pill?

Pie
    Xanax is also used for ppl with meniere disease :

few storys here :

My neuro has had me on a small dose of Xanax (0.25 mg, as needed). I've found that it helps with the dizziness, tinnitus, and, of course, the attendant anxiety.

I've been taking very small doses--half of one in the a.m. as needed, sometimes another half in the evening.

Well, I recently had a bad attack, and the doc wants me to increase the dose to a whole pill as needed--and even more if the attack is bad--several a day on a a really bad day!!

My question is, have any of you been on a regular dose of Xanax for a long period? How much in mg's? And if so, have there been any problems with it? I understand that it's hell coming off of it if you decide to stop.

Bless all
    Ron

I've taken 1.5 mg per day of Xanax for over a year. It helps with the aural fullness and disequilbrium. I also have a lot of anxiety and insomnia because of tinnitus and hearing loss and it helps there too. It does not cause me to be drowsy during the day. With valium I felt like a zombie.

I have cut back to 1.25 mg the last couple of weeks. I am going to see if I can stay at that point for a while and then maybe go to 1.0 mg. In the meantime my hearing loss is much worse (not related to the Xanax) and that is stressing me bigtime, so the anxiety and insomnia is worse too. I am hanging in there with the 1.25 mg!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!

I take 1 and a half Mg. a day and it keeps me on top of things without the MM problems that I would have with out, on a very bad day I take an extra .05 Mg. to get me through the day....

Hi
    Seems .5 mg Xanax tid is reasonable for a short period but it is the absolute worst and most difficult benzodiazepine to get off of. The internet is filled with horror stories re: This Xanax withdrawal. Klonopin is probablly the drug of choice for long term use.
    Best wishes -Russ

source: http://www.menieres.org/forum/
    go to Your living room and search for xanax,there are ppl who are using it,not only xanax,all kinds of anti anxiety drugs it helps them mostly with dizziness,vertigo and anxiety.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Xanax should not be used a lot. Unless supervised by or recommended by a doctor.
    Give me a fish, and you feed me for a day, teach me to fish and I won't be so damn lazy.