Thread: no upload cap on my new DOCSIS modem!

goose

Thumbs up no upload cap on my new DOCSIS modem!

After the upgrade from the older Motorola modem to the DOCSIS Rca, my upload cap either has been raised drastically or no cap at all!

** Speed 2713(down)/1081(up) kbps **
    for two years it usually has been
    -- Speed 2300(down)/127(up) kbps --

I'm very happy to see these results! @home has improved in my area with this upgrade! I just wonder, how long will this last! :-)

-Goose

goose

Thumbs up

After reviewing some old posts and major fine tunning of 2k..

Test running..........
    ** Speed 3866(down)/1126(up) kbps **
    (At least 77 times faster than a 56k modem)
    Finished

glc1

** Speed 3090(down)/1081(up) kbps **
    (At least 61 times faster than a 56k modem)

ATT@Home; RCA DCM215

I've had u/l speeds in excess of 1mpbs for over 6 months now.

YARDofSTUF

would @home upgrade everyone when its time or do u request it, and does it cost extra?

glc1

Originally posted by YARDofSTUF:
    would @home upgrade everyone when its time or do u request it, and does it cost extra?
    Most of @Home is capped at 128kbps up. Goose and I are just lucky to live in areas that aren't capped at 128. There are no higher capped u/l packages available in any @Home market, and we don't pay extra for our higher than normal u/l cap. I've never been capped at 128kbps. (I've had my connection for over 6 months now.)

YARDofSTUF

i just want a newer modem.. i'm not capped at 128kbps, i have hit 700kpbs on uploads adn get 300 or so on average.

Fyodor

a newer modem is not likely to solve any problems at all... the technology that mod/demod hasn't changed in quite some time...

blebs99

Question

Originally posted by Fyodor:
    a newer modem is not likely to solve any problems at all... the technology that mod/demod hasn't changed in quite some time...
    This is a question that I would like to know for absolute sure! Some old customers and all the new customers,in my area, are getting new DOCSIS compliant modems and are getting much better speeds now. Grant you, some have had their drops rerun and replaced also. I'm still not convinced. Can someone out there give me the straight poop on this subject?

[This message has been edited by blebs99 (edited 12-18-2000).]

Mossad

Fyodor, cable modems aren't really modems at all. Therefore they don't modulate and demodulate.

BlueEP

My friend used to have a Motorola. Now he has a Toshiba (DOCSIS) and he doesn't have the cap anymore. I'd get one, but $250 is pricey.

goose

When I first got @ home over a year ago, I was capped at 128kbps w/the black motorola modem. After the upgrade to DOCSIS with the White RCA modem, I'm not capped anymore. They upgraded at the right time, cause I was seriously going to cancel it and find a better service. For all you folks that are still capped at 16KB/s there is hope!

JL Sparks

Originally posted by goose:
    When I first got @ home over a year ago, I was capped at 128kbps w/the black motorola modem. After the upgrade to DOCSIS with the White RCA modem, I'm not capped anymore. They upgraded at the right time, cause I was seriously going to cancel it and find a better service. For all you folks that are still capped at 16KB/s there is hope!
    I've got the SB3100 DOCSIS modem, and I'm capped at 128kbps. My understanding is that it is all area-specific, and has nothing to do with the modem.

glc1

Originally posted by JL Sparks:
    I've got the SB3100 DOCSIS modem, and I'm capped at 128kbps. My understanding is that it is all area-specific, and has nothing to do with the modem.
    That's my understanding too. Everything is done at the headend and areas can differ.

goose

Sure, it has everything to do with the area. Before I went over to the DOCSIS standard, I had the cap. Then they switched us over to DOCSIS and gave me the new hardware, Voila! No cap!

goose

Also might I add, people in the same area as me that refused the upgrade, for some odd reason, are prolly still capped on the old system.

glc1

Originally posted by goose:
    Also might I add, people in the same area as me that refused the upgrade, for some odd reason, are prolly still capped on the old system.
    The old system is obviously configured differently.

JL Sparks

Must be glc. DOCSIS doesn't not neccessarily equal no cap.. trust me!