Thread: 2004 VW Jetta TDI Wagon, Plus Jeep Liberty Renegade

Blog Entries

Thumbs up 2004 VW Jetta TDI Wagon, Plus Jeep Liberty Renegade

2004 VW Jetta TDI Wagon, Plus Jeep Liberty Renegade

Hi to all, a Two for One day
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Volkswagen made a few improvements to its fuel-efficient, diesel-powered Jetta TDI Wagon for the 2004 model year. Its new 'pumpe duse' 1.9 litre turbo diesel engine develops 10 more horsepower (100 vs 90), but more importantly, it offers 20 foot pounds more torque (177 foot pounds of torque at 1800 rpm vs 155 foot pounds at 1900 rpm). That extra torque provides improved throttle responsiveness at low speeds for typical starting, passing and maneuvering in day-to-day city driving.

VW Jetta go here for more info
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdr...4jetta_tdi.htm

---

The Jeep Liberty has the size and seating to go up against the big sellers in the compact segment, says Richard Russell, "but it also has the goods to go off-road, seriously off-road where the others fear to tread," he remarks. The mid-range Renegade model can be distinguished by its "butch appearance" including prominent fender flares to contain the spray from its bigger tires.

Jeep info go here
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...y_renegade.htm

--

regards

minir

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Hello Minir!

My mom has been car shopping for a bit, was looking at the Passat...a diesel. What did win her over...was the Volvo S80....one of their larger sedans. She traded in her BMW 325i for that about a week ago. I'll miss the 325, used to drive it now and then, like when mine, or my wifes car, was in the shop or something. What excuse I could think of!

I know you mention the Jetta here, as she was looking at a Passat wagon.

I've never been a Volvo fan (except for the older 1800S coupes if you remember those), but I have to admit, after taking her new S80 for a spin, it's very...nice. Very comfortable, very ergonomic, still somewhat spirited (that oddball 5 cyl 2.5T engine doesn't do too badly for such a large car).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The Jeep looks like it has attitude, but the VW is so plain, but the power upgrade is nice.

Blog Entries
    Hi YeOldeStonecat & lefty

YeOldeStonecat
    Your mom is a rather discerning Car Buyer YOSC.

I think i've mentioned that my Dad had the first Volvo Franchise in our hometown way back when. He drove the P1800 and i got to use it as well. Way ahead of its time imho. Great styling. One thing about a Volvo they are built for life. The Harleys of the Car business as it were.

From all i've read the S80 comes out very well and yes the 5 cylinder is an oddball, but it does its job quite well it seems.

---

lefty

The Jeep is the real business it seems and the Diesel Jetta certainly gets the mileage as well.

I love the Passat styling as well as the Jettas'. i particularly like the 4 Motion Passat Wagon. Slick imho.

---

Thanks Guys and do let us know how the S80 turns out YOSC

Have a Great day you two

--

regards

minir

I like the jettas but not a wagon fan, wonder how well it will do with suvs and subaru's stuff out.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by minir
    I think i've mentioned that my Dad had the first Volvo Franchise in our hometown way back when. He drove the P1800 and i got to use it as well. Way ahead of its time imho. Great styling.
    Ahh...."P1800"...my bad Minir, I called it the 1800s.

I don't recall you mentioning your dad had one, and the dealership, although you may well have in our past discussions about cars.

For those who want to see what the P1800 is, here's a nice collection of pictures from those who clearly adore these classics. A very sexy car IMO.

http://volvo1800pictures.com/
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Ahh...."P1800"...my bad Minir, I called it the 1800s.

I don't recall you mentioning your dad had one, and the dealership, although you may well have in our past discussions about cars.

For those who want to see what the P1800 is, here's a nice collection of pictures from those who clearly adore these classics. A very sexy car IMO.

http://volvo1800pictures.com/
    ---

Hi YOSC

Thanks for the link Brian. They truly were a sexy car back then.

Yes my Dad had the Isetta Franchise and then the Volvo Franchise. He got in early and that was a mistake. Volvo was unknown and quite expensive. It never went anywhere for years by which time Dad had moved on. Too bad as we all know of how successful they became.

The 544's i loved as well, they looked like little Mercury's. I had a Black one with Red interior to drive for awhile. Nice.

A funny story. Dad was the Sales Manager of a large Furniture and Appliance Company and he mostly worked in the Appliances.

A big company back then was Admiral TV's and Appliances. They changed a fairly large Neon Sign at the store and put up a New One. Dad asked if he could have the old one and they said sure.

He had it re tubed and repainted and it became " Admiral Motors " your Volvo Dealer. Saved him a bundle on signage.

Funny thing is i told this exact story years later at a Canadian Admiral Company convention that i was then working for selling TV's and Appliances.

Funny how things work out.

--

Have a good one

--

regards

minir