Thread: D-Link DI-624 issues (Outlook & Network Issues)

Angry D-Link DI-624 issues (Outlook & Network Issues)

I got Verizon FIOS installed one week ago and the installation included a D-Link DI-624.

After some minor set-up issues as I was migrating from DSL things seemed to be up and running.

I actually have two questions for the forum.

I can receive e-mail using MS Outlook (not express) and can surf on this machine fine. Sending e-mail is the problem. In dealing with D-Link they told me to change my MTU number from 1500 to 1400. It worked, for one e-mail to my yahoo account as a test. Now I am back to nothing.

What do I do so that I can get back to sending e-mails?

The second question is why do only two out of the three machines connected via wire connect to the internet? Could it be an OS thing? It sees the router?

Thanks for your help in advance

Quote Originally Posted by jester89
    I can receive e-mail using MS Outlook (not express) and can surf on this machine fine. Sending e-mail is the problem. In dealing with D-Link they told me to change my MTU number from 1500 to 1400. It worked, for one e-mail to my yahoo account as a test. Now I am back to nothing.

What do I do so that I can get back to sending e-mails?
    Welcome to Speedguide!

Can you send mail on your Verizon account?

I'm not sure if Verizon FIOS service is any different, but its quite common for service providers to disallow SMTP relaying for other 3rd party providers. This basically means you will not be able to send outbound mail on any other accounts other than the Verizon accounts that are provided as part of your service. The providers do this so that people cannot use their SMTP servers for spamming.

Yahoo, MSN Hotmail and others might work via the webmail interface because your communications are occuring through your web browser on the http port (80) and smtp is handled on their end 100%.

Try sending with your Verizon account. If you still have trouble, I would first contact Verizon and explain to them the situation, especially if they are the ones who provided the router for you. They will also be able to tell you whether or not SMTP relaying is allowed for your other mail accounts, but most likely they will say no.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Just to add to what koldchillah said. If you go into the advanced section of the servers tab and check mark logon using then add your ISP's user name and password. That way it will authenticate you and relay your mail.

Quote Originally Posted by jester89
    The second question is why do only two out of the three machines connected via wire connect to the internet? Could it be an OS thing? It sees the router?
    What OS's are on these PC's?

Is the router's DHCP function turned on? Typically it will be by default, but that could be one thing to check.. Also make sure all your client PC's are set to "automatically obtain IP address" under the TCP/IP properties for each NIC.

If DHCP is setup correctly and your NIC's are set to "obtain automatically", then you should be able to go to a command prompt on each PC and run the "ipconfig /all" command. You should see the router's IP address set as 'gateway' for each PC.

Try that out for starters.. If that doesn't work, I can help you take it a few steps further. Give us as much info as you can about the PC that isn't getting connected and we'll go from there.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Hell while your in the cmd prompt go a head and give it a "ipconfig /release" and then a "ipconfig /renew". That will force it to aquire a new IP address from the DHCP server. Then do a "ipconfig /all" and make sure it has a valid IP.

Just wanted to let you know that I am up and running with Outlook. I used the TCPOptimizer tool and I set the MTU to the proper level and all worked well.

Now I am just trying to get my laptop up and running. What a headache!!

MY DI-624 sees the laptop but the laptop cannot see the network or the laptop.
    I have removed all the drivers for both the wired card and the wireless card. As I try to rebuild it nothing seems to work. I am starting to feel like my PCMIA cards are the issue as they are over 4 years old.

Well, good never get my laptop up and running again. I think both the cards may be done. Will go looking for boht a wired and wireless tomorrow.

Okay. I got a new Linksys Ethernet Card and still the same thing. When I bring up IE I still recieve a DNS error on my 98SE laptop. I do not know how the DNS setting could have changed. Anyway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.