Thread: 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD First Drive...Diesel

Blog Entries

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD First Drive...Diesel

Hi to all

A Road Test of the New Diesel Option on the Jeep Liberty.
    ~~~~~~~~

Santa Barbara, California - The 2005 Jeep Liberty arrives this Fall with detail changes to the exterior and interior, but the big news is the available turbocharged 2.8-litre, four-cylinder, diesel engine.

The Liberty CRD (common rail diesel) is new to North America, although a diesel version of the Liberty has been available in Europe for several years (where it's marketed as a Cherokee).

The engine is made by VM Motori, which is owned in part by Detroit Diesel, a division of Daimler Chrysler. Jeep executives believe that the timing is right to introduce diesel-powered vehicles to North America in response to high fuel prices and their impact on SUV owners, especially.

---Go Here for more Info
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...iberty_crd.htm

---

regards

minir

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yeah I had read about that when I was purchasing mine Minir. We've discussed diesels in the past. I've not grown fond of them yet...although I'll admit, the technology has gotten better with them regarding the old stink they put out, and smoke. It's more tolerable to be stuck behind one at a red light nowadays.

The stump pulling torque @ low rpms of this one is attractive. Compared to the 3.7 V-6 that I have, 210HP at 5200 rpm and 235 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm. I'm used to driving my Wranglers in the past, both of which had the inline 6, of considerable low end power. My recent Wrangler was about 205hp, with 260-ish lb-ft, with the mods I had. With 90% of the torque available at 1900rpm. It was actually quicker 0-60 than my Liberty is, well, maybe not to 60, but to 50 I'd say it is. The Libertys 3.7 engine needs to get up above 2700rpm before she falls into her power curve, it's much nicer and quicker on the highway. It's still taking a while to adjust to the engine characterists. The Wrangler could pull away at low rpm, never having to go above 2500rpm. Have to drive the Liberty more like a car...downshift once to get her to pass on that long upgrade. Stuff like that.

I really wish they'd have the 318 as an option!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Hi YeOldeStonecat

Big Diesel push on this year i think, by several Mfgs. The newer Tech. and the soon to be Mandatory Clean Burning Diesel Fuel will mitigate many of the former problems and complaints. It will however take sometime to change peoples thinking on them. It appears we in Canada have embraced them for sometime now.

Torque is the name of the Game as you know YOSC and nothing does it better than a Diesel to be sure.

The Gas vs Diesel Fuel Pump Prices are slowly inching Closer however, so the benefits will mostly come from longevity and Mileage increases for the diesels it seems.

Pleased your happy with your purchase. For the kind of Bucks their asking for them nowadays You Want to Be Eh!.

Have a Good One.

---

regards

minir

Anecdotally I'm starting to see more diesel pumps being installed or converted. I think the fuel suppliers also see a big push coming down the road since BMW, MB and other major auto manufacturers are set to push Diesel engines into the US market in the next three years. some states are looking at replacing all their state vehicles with Diesel equivalents and bio-diesel/diesel mix fuels are starting to see real popularity.

One I'm very interested in is the BMW 330cd

Displacement (cc) 2998
    Engine weight (kg) 214
    Power (bhp) 204
    Torque (Nm) 410
    0 62 (mph) 7.2 (7.4 auto) <--- Not bad, Nice and sporty though no whiplash.
    Top speed (mph) 149 (146)
    Fuel consumption (mpg) 43.5 (36.7) <--- MILES PER GALLON!
    Manual transmission 6 speed
    Auto transmission 5 speed

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

Blog Entries
    Hi Bouncer

We are actually learning from the Europeans it seem, re Diesels Bouncer.

Reliability, economy, very good performance, less maintenance and electrical parts to go wrong etc.

Availability of Diesel Fuel has been the bugbear, but demand will as you suggest open up the market and make Refuelling Pumps more readably available.

The VW Passat is another nice car in a medium cost range that offers Diesel. Just a matter of time before we all dip in i think.

The Beemer looks good. Nice package.

Who knows maybe We are getting Smarter after all

---

Thanks and Do have a terrific day

---

regards

minir

Watch out I made parts for that engine. Actually had a hand in coengineering some of them. Muahahahaha
    Respect it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottE
    Watch out I made parts for that engine. Actually had a hand in coengineering some of them. Muahahahaha
    ---

Hi ScottE

Thanks for the Heads Up

Everyone Please refer to my Prior Quote

Reliability, economy, very good performance, less maintenance and electrical parts to go wrong etc.

Now XXXX Out
    +++++++++
    Reliability, Less Maintenance & parts to go wrong.

---

regards

minir

With MB, the diesel engines would usually be my choice. They just last a lot longer than the gas engines, and it's not just that diesel fuel as such costs less, the consumption is also considerably lower for MB's diesel models. They do, however, lack the top-end power of a gasoline engine.

With the arrival of the common rail injection technique diesel engines took a huge leap forward, as far as performance and fuel economy are concerned. With the modern catalysts and other exhaust cleaning methods they neither produce smoke nor is the smell really noticeable anymore. I'd think that especially in America, where people usually drive longer distances at moderate speeds than in Europe, getting a diesel engine is just common sense IMO.

One thing to consider maybe though is that diesel fuel at least used to have a much higher freezing temp than gas. I don't know how far they've gotten with additives, but when I was in Iowa back in 94/95, that was the major reason why most people didn't have diesel engines.
    ex-WoW-addict

Blog Entries
    Hi SeedOfChaos

Points well taken. As you know we here in N. America have been spoiled by plentiful and cheap Fuel, so the interest other than Commercial in Diesel Usage was minimal. Not even the Taxi's took advantage of them.

Most Diesel Fuel is much better refined and most diesels have Water Separators now as well, so the Freezing problem is not as acute i don't think Ronald?

VW where the only ones promoting Diesel here for years. MB did for awhile then pulled out some years back.

The reemergence of MB, plus BMW and the new and excellent, they say, Jaguar will all help promote Diesel usage in the future to the point of acceptability by the masses.

The future of Blended Diesel Fuel will also make them more attractive i think.

Big Thing with All Diesel Engines and a Critical Point...Change the Oil & Filters Regularly!

Thanks SeedOfChaos and Have a Wonderful weekend

---

regards

minir

Give em time and they'll figure out how to make the diesels run like a petrol engine in the higher rpms. Fact of the matter is, diesel fule has MORE potential energy than gasoline. Ignition timing is the major hurdle. Its combustion "timing" is more of a black art than a scientific process right now. Due to the fact that ignition is caused by pressure(squish) rather than a spark plug it is much harder to determine the exact moment the mixture is gonna fire up. Once the computers and sensors catch up with the task at hand, diesels will be vastly superior to gasoline for everyday use.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Blog Entries
    Hi brembo

This new generation of Diesels now coming have addressed much of that it seems and they can only lead to further positive developments down the road.

The fact is that diesel is the optimum energy source for most vehicles, both Commercial and private at the moment imho.

The Audi A8 in Diesel form is simply amazing according to most reviews.

Thanks and Enjoy your Weekend

--

regards

minir

Quote Originally Posted by ScottE
    Really? Thats something to be proud of. I can hardly tie my shoes. Must be nice to be able to do things like that. I mean like actually taking part in practically inventing something.Must be a good feeling.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Broke
    DIesel can rock, just needs to be tweeked a little.

Blog Entries
    Hi thepieman & Chris

Cars Be Fun Eh!

Thanks Guys and Do Have a Fun time this weekend

--

regards

minir