Thread: Tis my 5th year Anniversary at Speedguide

Tis my 5th year Anniversary at Speedguide

I know my registration date now says October, but I actually registered in September of 1999, I think it changed it when the forum moved over to vB 3.0.

Anyways, I found this website originally in the Summer of 1999 while searching for Cable tweaks, cause I had just gotten into Broadband. I got a nice Cable modem and hooked up with @Home in the summer of '99. So the first thing I wanted to do was go tweaking! By this time I had already well been into computers, since before 1993 really, so I already knew a lot about hardware and software and tweaking, just not broadband specifically.

So I searched many websites till I came to this one. Actually I think I found Philips original site at his personal webspace first, then it linked over to here. It was awesome, cause at the time there were no caps, and I was getting the full 10mbps download speed, and with the tweaks here on SG that I used in Win98 I was able to enjoy 1MB/sec download speeds

I started browsing the forum around that time as well, but didn't actually sign up until September of that year. By that time I believe Bouncer was already the mod here. It was just Philip at that time, and Bouncer. I believe I was member number 266 (I know it was 26x something). It was a small forum then, but oh so professional. There were people that were posting that were from in the field, and it was great chatting with them all.

My memory eludes me right now; it was either me or McDougal that was the next mod. I think it was me then McDougal, but it could be the other way around, I forget, maybe Bouncer or Philip will remember. Anyways, after that then it was John.

Boy those times were great, the Cable/DSL forum was THE hangout, and there was no General Forum at the time! That came later!

My first post on the forum in fact was in reply to someone, helping them with something, its not here anymore, sniff sniff, but during that time my posts were nothing but helpful. I rose to have the HIGHEST post count on SG, not by spamming, but by actually being useful and helping people, so I can honestly say my high post count was EARNED. Today is another story, but back then, it stood for something.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the memories

Just wanted to say Thanks Philip for the site, and all the crap you've had to put up with me in the past, everybody goes through the stages of growing up

Thanks Bouncer and John for always being there.

Here's to another 5 years!
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Congrats!

And by the way my post count was earned as well. It helped me stay out of the mental hospital for the last 3 years.

Nice one man. In a couple months Ill be giving my 4 year breakdown.

SG Enthusiast
    This was nice reading, Brent. Thank you, and Congrats!

I'm glad for Philip and SG that this has turned out so nicely.

SpeedFreak
    whew long time, i've been here over 4 years now

Blog Entries
    Hi Brent

Congratulations on your Anniversary

---

regards

minir

Nice one Brent! Congratulations on the five years here as SG.

Brent 4 Mod (again)
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Thank you all for the kind words.
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Few days until my 2nd year here... Whew how time flies... Grats Brent!

isnt philip supposed to buy u a diamond or soemthing this year? or is that after 10 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    "This is a stick-up...I have an armadillo in my pants"

Blog Entries
    Congrats Brent! I'll be hitting the 5 year mark myself in a few months...where does the time go?
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Brent,

That post brought a smile to my face. Yes, in order it was myself, then you, then McDougal. Then I scampered off to parts unknown for a bit, during which you became the second of only three Administrators this site has ever had. I'd stop in from time to time and lurk various forums and do this or that, but you did a tremendous amount of the work that kept Speedguide going and growing.

It's fair to say this place wouldn't be this place without the contributions you've made.

Very Respectfully,
    Tom Blakely

congrats!
    The Way
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Congrats Brent! I'll be hitting the 5 year mark myself in a few months...where does the time go?
    Downhill & Randy are in the same lineup for the 5 year mark also. It's interesting to see how long peep have been around.

I have enjoyed your posts Brent. You always have good info on hardware etc.
    and on the lighterside
    I was hoping that you were going to hook up with that neighbour girl way back when...

cheers, Randy

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    Congrats... we're all getting old.

For some reason, only the old folks stick around. The newer members come and go...

Blog Entries
    You had me wistfully staring backward with that post, Brent. Kudos for all the time and effort you have dedicated. Guru status has its perks for the ego, but can often find itself without recompense, and even indignation from some you intend on aiding.

A tip of the hat and thanks.
    david

Rather ironic..... Posting under this nym reminded me also of the blow out in the summer of 2001....

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Congratulations Brent on one hell of a run. I like that SG is where you can just be yourself and relax among friends. It's like a refuge where you're able to get back to your roots without the BS that goes along with your position at t3h [H].
    It's been great getting to know you on that level rather than the other way around.
    As many have said your time here is greatly appreciated.

Congrats man!