Thread: Q: Re: Proposed network setup

Question Q: Re: Proposed network setup

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, but I've been a fan of the website for years and have used all of the networking tweaks here, so I'm a happy camper.

Some history leading up to the question:

I'm in the process of putting together the parts list for a new PC that I plan on building and thought that while I'm in the process, I might as well upgrade my 2 PC home network to future-guard it for hopefully at least 5 years.

I've got the 2 current PCs networked on a Netgear 10/100 hub, and my wifes PC is connected to a Motorola SB5100 on her USB port. My PC passes thru hers using ICS. It all works well and I've got no complaints. But the wife doesn't like me turning on her PC everytime I want to go to the web.

The PC I'll be building will have an ASUS P5AD2 Premium mobo which has built in Gigabit LAN. Since one of the things I do with my PC is use it as my wifes game files backup, the Gigabit will make that go a lot faster.

So here's my plan. Please let me know if it sounds OK or not.

In the wifes PC I'll be putting a Linksys Instant Gigabit Network adaptor: either the EG1032 or the EG1064, probably the EG1032 just to be safe.

To connect the new PC to the wifes PC I plan on getting a Linksys EG005W Gigabit 5-port Workgroup switch. That will also be connected to a Linksys BEFSR11 10/100 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router which will have the Motorola SB5100 connected on the WAN side.

I figure this setup should cover all my bases - top speed intranet, and in case my cable provider should ever convert to DOCSIS 2.0 in the distant future I'll have a router that can handle up to 10Mbs on the WAN side.

(If they go up to 30Mbs in the next 5 years... given the industry's current track record, I'd be really suprised.)

What do you think? Will it work for what I want to do? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
    Have a good one,

Rooke

Anybody?

Good, bad? Any comments at all?

Is it in the wrong forum?
    Have a good one,

Rooke

Linksys gear is OK for home use. Not much of a firewall though- only NAT. Curious- why the old style BEFRS11 instead of one of the newer more full featured models? Gigabit will speed things up on the lan for sure- just make sure your wiring is up to it.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Since the switch that I plan to get already has more ports than I need, I didn't see any need in spending more money for even more extra ports that I'll never use. All the other Linksys routers have 4 or more ports.

Thanks for the reminder about the wiring. I plan on getting Cat-5e cables. The PCs are only about 5 feet from where the switch will be.
    Have a good one,

Rooke

The point was that some of their other models have more features, while the one you're looking at is one of their oldest with the fewest features.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Yeah, I knew that was your point, but the BEFSR11 has all the features I need.

I know the firewall in it is limited but since my cable provider acts as the DHCP and changes my IP every couple of days, I'm not terribly worried, plus I've already got Zone Alarm. I've only got 2 PCs, and don't need VPN or Voice.

I just need something thats cheaper than spending an extra $10 a month for an extra IP address from my cable provider.

Thanks tho.
    Have a good one,

Rooke

twwabw,

After I made that last post ( in haste ), what you said finally started to sink in. I reviewed all of the documentation for the other routers offered by Linksys, and found that the BEFSX41 supported 10/100 on the WAN side which will give me that future-proofing in case DOCSIS 2.0 is ever supported in the distant future. That, and I may have a use for its VPN support in the future.

Thanks for opening my eyes!
    Have a good one,

Rooke