Thread: Wired / Wireless Network

cmcl14

Wired / Wireless Network

I have a cable modem and two DHCP-assigned IP addresses. I would like to have one computer wired and another wireless and I want both of them to have their IP addresses assigned by my ISP's DHCP server.

Thoughts:

- I assume I could get a regular switch, plug in the cable modem, my one computer, and a wireless access point, but I don't really want to buy both a switch and a wireless access point.

- Can I use a wireless router as a switch? My understanding is that if I use a router, then it will assign internal IPs for my LAN, which I don't want.

- Ideally, I would like a switch that has both wireless and wired points. Does this exist?

Basically, I'd like to know if there is an easy way to implement this network. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcl14
    - Can I use a wireless router as a switch? My understanding is that if I use a router, then it will assign internal IPs for my LAN, which I don't want.
    Yes, this will accomplish what you want. Just disable DHCP on the router and plug the cable modem into one of the ports on the built in switch. If it's not MDI/MDI-X autosensing you'll need a uplink port or a crossover cable. Just remember that the administration interface for the router/AP will be accessable to the Internet.
    - Ideally, I would like a switch that has both wireless and wired points. Does this exist?
    I'm not aware of any AP with a built in switch. A "wireless router" is basically just a NAT router, an AP and a switch in the same box. Basically what you want and you get a router to boot. For some reason wireless routers cost less than you would pay for an AP so it'd probably be your cheapest option.

Advanced Member
    You can get any Wireless Cable/DSL Router and use it as a Switch with Access Point.

Link to: Using a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point]

Jack.
    Microsoft MVP - Networking.

cmcl14
    Thank you both very much. I thought this was the case, I just wanted to make sure before buying anything.

Cheers,

Colin