Thread: Can I use a wireless PC as a hub or access point?

WendelLives

Can I use a wireless PC as a hub or access point?

I have a PII box with 98se on it which is connected wirelessly to my network with a D-Link router. (Cablevision broadband, I believe itís a static address.) I want to move this PC downstairs to the basement where I'm rebuilding some other old machines... can I use the PII box down there as second router or access point or hub for those other PCs?

And... I found something online called an "Asound 4-Port Internal 10/100 PCI Router Card" Will that help me?

Thanks much for any insight!

Quote Originally Posted by WendelLives
    I have a PII box with 98se on it which is connected wirelessly to my network with a D-Link router. (Cablevision broadband, I believe itís a static address.) I want to move this PC downstairs to the basement where I'm rebuilding some other old machines... can I use the PII box down there as second router or access point or hub for those other PCs?

And... I found something online called an "Asound 4-Port Internal 10/100 PCI Router Card" Will that help me?

If you can connect wirelessly from the basement to the D-Link, just get an extra wireless card or two for the old boxes. If what you're saying is that you cannot connect wirelessly from the basement, then you need a wireless access point plus the wireless cards or just get one of these:

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=615

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost
    If you can connect wirelessly from the basement to the D-Link, just get an extra wireless card or two for the old boxes. If what you're saying is that you cannot connect wirelessly from the basement, then you need a wireless access point plus the wireless cards or just get one of these:

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=615
    Not Really a Wireless card connected to a PC can be connected to another card in Ad-Hoc (some cards might connect to more then one). However it is not functioning as an Access Point.

May be this can Help: Wirelessly Bridging Home / SOHO Network.

Jack.
    Microsoft MVP - Networking.

Quote Originally Posted by JackMDS
    Not Really a Wireless card connected to a PC can be connected to another card in Ad-Hoc (some cards might connect to more then one). However it is not functioning as an Access Point.

May be this can Help: Wirelessly Bridging Home / SOHO Network.

I know about Ad-Hoc mode, that's why I suggested what I did. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to access the router upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by WendelLives

yes you can.

PII 98se box is wirelessly connected to D-link router.

1)install a second NIC in PII98se box.
    2)setup ICS on PII98se box. -----> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...icsinstall.htm
    3)purchase very cheap hub or switch.
    4)plug all comps. into hub/switch.

access internet, utilizing PII98se box as a ICS access point.

i do this right now with all upstairs comps. in my house.