Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so many committing suicide at NYU?

Why so many committing suicide at NYU?

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/30047.htm

I think 6 is a lot for one school in a year dont you think? Especially all jumping..what going on there

Perhaps they had all been experimenting with some sort of mind-bending drugs, when some joker comes up behind them and says: "Pssssttt.....Bush won."

*shrug*

They all wish they were attending The Ohio State University.
    Respect it.

That is alot for one year, something's going on up there.

that is some wierd stuff going on...

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Maybe it's the bill...
    Oh man, that made me LMFAO!!!!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by qball15j
    That is alot for one year, something's going on up there.
    Its happening all over the country. Its very strange why some of these kids would chose such a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Its a selfish and foolish thing to do. I think I blame it on all this non-corporal punishment and time-out crap that the kids get away with. Instead of a good slap.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottE
    They all wish they were attending The Ohio State University.

Nah, probably found out they were going to be forced to transfer there.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
    http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/30047.htm

I think 6 is a lot for one school in a year dont you think? Especially all jumping..what going on there
    Yes, Ghosthunter, 6 is alot!!

Maybe they're being pushed into it.

Quote Originally Posted by thepieman
    Its happening all over the country. Its very strange why some of these kids would chose such a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Its a selfish and foolish thing to do. I think I blame it on all this non-corporal punishment and time-out crap that the kids get away with. Instead of a good slap.

Pie
    While I agree it is selfish, in order for someone to commit suicide they must not be in the right frame of mind to do something like that in the first place. If they were, they would never commit suicide.

While I hate to see anyone commit suicide...at least if they going to do it as long as they don't take anyone else with them becuase they are pisst off at the world or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthunter
    While I agree it is selfish, in order for someone to commit suicide they must not be in the right frame of mind to do something like that in the first place. If they were, they would never commit suicide.

While I hate to see anyone commit suicide...at least if they going to do it as long as they don't take anyone else with them becuase they are pisst off at the world or whatever
    While they may not take someone with them, it certainly affects a lot of the other kids, close friends, family, and teachers. I don't know but when I was younger , these kind of things were not as common as they are today. The only thing that differs between my generation and the newer is the way parents and teachers discipline.

Pie
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they have a bizarre cult going on up there. Well that or it's those Olsen twin's venting some angst.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher_138
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they have a bizarre cult going on up there. Well that or it's those Olsen twin's venting some angst.
    Now that they are of legal age..why couldnt it be one of them going up there, stripping off their clothes and just stand there threatening to jump for say 1/2hr to an 1hr long enough for some good video!!??

Pie

While they may not take someone with them, it certainly affects a lot of the other kids, close friends, family, and teachers. I don't know but when I was younger , these kind of things were not as common as they are today. The only thing that differs between my generation and the newer is the way parents and teachers discipline.

Pie

Rates of suicide probably haven't changed much over time actually....it's just now we have better reporting and of course media coverage. Look at the way war coverage has changed over time. Now we can be there right as the bombs are dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by UOD
    Rates of suicide probably haven't changed much over time actually....it's just now we have better reporting and of course media coverage. Look at the way war coverage has changed over time. Now we can be there right as the bombs are dropped.

Good point UOD

Just saw a news report about Paxil causing suicides. TonyT can speak volumes about this subject. IMHO....alot of supposedly good drugs do more harm than good. Look at Ritalin. Kids 30 years ago never needed Ritalin, they just needed a good swift kick in the ass. Now we turn to drugs to relieve us of the parenting responsibility.

Sad.

Just saw a news report about Paxil causing suicides. TonyT can speak volumes about this subject. IMHO....alot of supposedly good drugs do more harm than good. Look at Ritalin. Kids 30 years ago never needed Ritalin, they just needed a good swift kick in the ass. Now we turn to drugs to relieve us of the parenting responsibility.

Sad.
    I did see a Montel Willaims special about it recently.

The problem is the drugs in and of itself is not bad if being properly used and watched by a doctor. The problem is most of these drugs should never been given to kids, because they were made for adults and adult dosage. the other problem is doctors seem to be giving them out on the fly without warning parents and people taking them what are the clues to watch for when something called aeksia a side effect kicks in which can cause someone to commit suicide.

Just like anything in this world, if something is not being properly researched and/or doctor is not doing their job like taking tests to make sure nothing else physically is going on, you can run into problems.

One of the things brought up is that only psychiatrists should be prescribing anti-depressant drugs, not just regular Primary care physicians, because it seems the PCP really dont know enough about what the drugs can and cannot do. For example one story on Montel Willaims was a doctor prescribing I forgot the name of it an anti-depressant drug to a teenager to help with her migraines. It turned out to change her personality totally and the parents had no clue what was going on, eventually they went for second opinions and found out.

Yes you are right that we have more media coverage and more video accessibility but the numbers have steadily risen from 1950's-1960's to present day.
    This was taken from Enotes.com it was the only quick search I could find that was a little further back in time..most were from 80's-90's

http://www.enotes.com/teen-suicide-ai/1928

Nancy Merritt is with the Do It Now Foundation, an organization formed in 1968 to spread accurate information about drugs, alcohol, sexuality, and other behavioral health topics.

Summary: Teen suicide attempts and completions have risen steadily since the 1960s. Surveys have found that more than 25 percent of high school students and 10 percent of college students—a rate four times that of 1950—have seriously considered suicide. Suicidal teens generally fall into one of three groups: well-adjusted, but living in stressful conditions; depressed or anxious; or...
    This is a free excerpt. For the full page get the:

Teen Suicide Pass

Its not just doctors that are pushing parents towards Ritalin...I have had a fair share of teachers pushing me to give my kid that as well. I had tried it at one time and stopped after seeing the bad outwieghed the good.

Pie

Yes you are right that we have more media coverage and more video accessibility but the numbers have steadily risen from 1950's-1960's to present day.
    This was taken from Enotes.com it was the only quick search I could find that was a little further back in time..most were from 80's-90's

http://www.enotes.com/teen-suicide-ai/1928

Ok, I'll take that with a grain of salt just because reporting is now more widespread. Now if you say that suicides rates have risen during the modern reporting era, then yes, I would tend to agree. Most industrialized nations have higher rates of suicide/crime/etc...

the other factor you have to weigh in on this is the native American. Native Americans see twice the numbers of homicides and almost twice the number of suicides compared to the national average....but in the end, they get lumped into the whole which distorts the overall picture/statistic. So it's more of a localized problem then a national crisis.