Thread: Tivo Call Through PC?

Machine

Tivo Call Through PC?

Hi everyone, great forums. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I have Tivo/DirecTV and Tivo needs a phone line to make it's updates, me and my wife both use our cell phones and have absolutely no use for a landline. I remember seeing hardware that accepts a phone line in one end and I believe connects via USB. Can anybody point me in the direction to what I would need (Hardware/Service) so I can lose the landline and make my weekly Tivo update through my broadband? I appreciate any help,

Thanks

Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Machine
    Thanks but that will only work for NON DirecTV Tivos. The usb ports on the DTV/Tivo boxes are not availible for Tivo. Anybody knowof some hardware that will allow you to make calls from a phone and your broadband connection?

could u buy a modem, hook it up and plug the tivo in there, set it up as a network and allow tv to use the net from the PC? dunno if that would work, need someone to confirm that or tell me i'm full of crap

its kinda just a theory.

Nope dont beleive you can update Tivo through a broadband connection yet... Tivo plans on making it possible in the near future but as of right now it is not.....

Also they have what is called VoiP which is Voice over Internet Protocol and it does not work with it either...

Machine
    Thanks for the help. I currently have VOIP service through ATT but it won't work with Tivo. Directv is working on updates through the dish but for now I'm trying to work with without it. I ended up finding the hardware in the link so we'll see f it works or not. Thanks

Phone to PC