Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK to delete pagefile.sys in XP?

OK to delete pagefile.sys in XP?

Running XP Pro.

I just ran SequoiaView for the first time in a while and noticed a 785MB pagefile.sys on the C: drive.

I've googled it and found references to deleting but am not sure if this is safe to do or not.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

not to sure, but isn't the page file just another name for virtual memory, the space windows sets incase you run out of memory to use on a harddrive ?

you could probably shrink the size of it some i would think depending on how much memory you have and use.

i'm sure someone who knows what they are talking about will let us know soon enough
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Uhm.. so long as NOTHING is using the pagefile, then sure. But it will be re-created on reboot anyway.. what you want to do is turn the size of the pagefile DOWN, and that'll reclaim some space. Check under "Advanced" in the "My Computer" properties.

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    If you have at least a gig of ram or better you can completely turn off your pagefile.

Quote Originally Posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff
    If you have at least a gig of ram or better you can completely turn off your pagefile.
    Unless you do video editing or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Unless you do video editing or something like that.
    true, true

There are many programs out there that will not run without a pagefile. For example Word and Photoshop. XP does a great job of handling virtual memory and large HDD's are cheap. Just leave it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    There are many programs out there that will not run without a pagefile. For example Word and Photoshop. XP does a great job of handling virtual memory and large HDD's are cheap. Just leave it on.
    My MS Office suite, WordPerfect, Photoshop and gaming works just fine without a pagefile.

My MS Office suite, WordPerfect, Photoshop and gaming works just fine without a pagefile.
    I know for a fact photoshop 6 will not run without at least a 20mb pagefile(I've tried it) and I have seen it posted over at [H] that word will crash if there isn't at least a small pagefile.

For all you doubters.

SG Enthusiast
    Not having a page file is risky. It is there for a reason. I say leave it - if size is a problem, make it smaller, but many apps and OS's expect/depend on a page file.

Paging and Swapping are not exactly the same thing. Swapping generally has a negative impact on performance. Paging is used to improve performance by keeping the fastest parts free most often.

Look at IE in task mgr even right after you open it. Most of the memory consumed is virtual - by design.

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

XP will make one without your knowledge sometimes, do a check for the file.

Moving data from RAM to the page file is only one reason the page file exists. It is not the primary reason.

The XP page file has three uses: move pages in RAM around more efficiently, make space in RAM for files that are in use and, map RAM requests.

The third reason is why some programs require a page file. Let's say you have a gig of RAM and you have some programs loaded. Now let's say you start up Microsoft Word. Word requests 384MB RAM. XP must map all 384MB whether the program actually uses the RAM or not. XP has two choices: Map the memory in RAM, probably wasting a lot of it, or map what the program loads to RAM, and the rest to a page file.

This, by the way, is the reason Photoshop will not load unless you have a page file. It requests about a gig at start up.

Always have a page file, regardless of how much RAM you have.

courtney sends....

I know for a fact photoshop 6 will not run without at least a 20mb pagefile(I've tried it) and I have seen it posted over at [H] that word will crash if there isn't at least a small pagefile.
    I run photoshop 7 with no pagefile. Sorry Sid, it works on my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    XP will make one without your knowledge sometimes, do a check for the file.
    No file....

huh, i have a 1.5gig pagefile adn it didnt show up in my own search. i dunno, but i know when you set it to no page file it says that it will increase it as it needs too.

No file....

Myabe some coding changes in 7.0 but that was a screen shot I just took after turning off the pagefile and then trying to start 6.0.

You do know you have to remove the check mark from "hide protected operation system files" to show the pagefile, right?

You do know you have to remove the check mark from "hide protected operation system files" to show the pagefile, right?
    Yup, did that in tools via windows explorer.

Whether your stuff runs or not, my recommendation still stands as do not shut off your pagefile.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

I've yet to see any proof of any performance boost from locking the size of the pagefile, or not having one. Back in the Win9X days, setting a max and min helped a bit, and the conservativeswapfileusage setting in system.ini

But in NT based OS's, memory management is superior, there's no need for it this stuff anymore. I let the OS manage it.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!