Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a used SUV ...

Buying a used SUV ...

I know Brent went through the shopping around a bit ago ..

I am just wondering what everyone's opinion is of the best purchase?

I will list my things here and what I won't buy

I don't want a Blazer or Jimmy, nor do I want a Vue ...
    Do not want Red (or off color) nor do I want white...

I am really looking at a Grand Cherokee Laredo ...
    What I do want ... 6 cyl, cloth interior, power locks and windows, auto of course, and 4wd for the rough winters, cloth interior preferred ... (charcoal or black or dark Grey)

I am looking for used ... realistically anything from '99 and up but, I want under 60,000 miles ideally under 50,000.

My budget .. I am looking at no more than $16,500.00 but, I would like to spend around 12 if I can find it ...

Now what are your opinions of the best for longevity and cost? As well as engine and body?

-lance
    A mistake does not become an error until one refuses to correct it

Folding for the future

the grand cherokees are high in maintenance costs, which occur frequently unfortunately

they too were what i was looking at at first, but my step-brother who is the car guru says he gets them all the time in at the shop, and the maintenance is high

but i'm sure there are people with great success stories with them as well

i guess its like any car, anything can go wrong costing money

still, i prefered to stay to the known high quality/value lines, Toyota for example, so I'm going to be getting a RAV4

but that is probably smaller then what you are looking for i bet

i didn't want a huge SUV

Take a look at the Toyota Highlander, that's a good one, that would be my suggestion
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    the grand cherokees are high in maintenance costs, which occur frequently unfortunately

they too were what i was looking at at first, but my step-brother who is the car guru says he gets them all the time in at the shop, and the maintenance is high

but i'm sure there are people with great success stories with them as well

i guess its like any car, anything can go wrong costing money

still, i prefered to stay to the known high quality/value lines, Toyota for example, so I'm going to be getting a RAV4

but that is probably smaller then what you are looking for i bet

i didn't want a huge SUV

Take a look at the Toyota Highlander, that's a good one, that would be my suggestion
    I agree, I owned one and once it got 5-6 years the small probs started, I should have gotten rid of it then, but I kept it and everything big on it went and it was expensive for each part.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I started out a few months ago looking for a smaller SUV, you may remember by thread. I was kind of all over the place for a while, looking at the crossover market (combo SUV/station wagons), sporty models like the Nissan Murano, smallers conventional types like the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute.

Original plan was to purchase something from 1-3 years old. But after seeing Chryslers big push for 0% financing for 60 months...heck, it just didn't make sense to purchase something in the 16-20 grand range when buying something brand new in the 25 grand range ended up with the same monthly payments as a used car load for 18 grand, plus 7/70 warranty. The logic just didn't compute!

Today at noon I drove home in my brand new Liberty, I'll take pics 'n post tonight. May wanna peek at what you can get at a Chrysler dealership under that 0% deal. Seriously, it makes it affordable. Eh it's nothing fancy, but I'm reeling in my budget for a couple of years for some major stuff in a bit...so I bit the bullet and got this little thing.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Brent & Lefty,

Well, I have pondered the Toyota aspect as Stacy really likes Toyota and the Camry we have has over 250,000 miles and is still running strong as hell ...

But, I not buy any ford SUV or like I said earlier a Blazer or Jimmy ... I don't like the body on them...

I will take a look into the Toyota's etc ..

YOSc,

I may have to take a look at the Chrylser too ...

The size concept is that we will have more room than in the '89 camry ... ideally I would like to be able to seat 5 with comfort ... not "pack em in". I don't want something like the Tracker or Samuri by any means .... I just want comfort, good look, and room for the weekends that we travel around.

I do want quality and don't want to have to put a lot into maintenance ... so, I am surely looking at that aspect.

I appreciate the feedback and I will wait to see your pics YOSc

Thanks,

-lance

Folding for the future

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    I started out a few months ago looking for a smaller SUV, you may remember by thread. I was kind of all over the place for a while, looking at the crossover market (combo SUV/station wagons), sporty models like the Nissan Murano, smallers conventional types like the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute.

Original plan was to purchase something from 1-3 years old. But after seeing Chryslers big push for 0% financing for 60 months...heck, it just didn't make sense to purchase something in the 16-20 grand range when buying something brand new in the 25 grand range ended up with the same monthly payments as a used car load for 18 grand, plus 7/70 warranty. The logic just didn't compute!

Today at noon I drove home in my brand new Liberty, I'll take pics 'n post tonight. May wanna peek at what you can get at a Chrysler dealership under that 0% deal. Seriously, it makes it affordable. Eh it's nothing fancy, but I'm reeling in my budget for a couple of years for some major stuff in a bit...so I bit the bullet and got this little thing.
    Didn't mean to diss you or what you brought, I wish you luck with it.

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    May wanna peek at what you can get at a Chrysler dealership under that 0% deal. Seriously, it makes it affordable.
    That's the way I went. I even traded in my Intrepid and received $7500 to the cost of my 300c. It brought the bi-weekly (the route I took) down even lower.

A few years ago I bought a '97 Jeep cherokee with over 130K miles
    Right now it has 161K and runs like it did a few years ago when I bought it and probably like it did in '97.

There are a few things I don't like about it, but overall it's very dependable.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty04530
    Didn't mean to diss you or what you brought, I wish you luck with it.

Didn't take it as a diss at all Lefty!

I know some people with Cherokee's have had some reliability issues with them. My mom has a Grand Cherokee, 318 V-8, loaded to the gills. Awesome vehicle...it's got some nut considering its heft. Shortly after they bought it, they did have some transfer case issues, Jeep did cover it all fully under warranty.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Folding with AMD POWER Loonatic's Avatar
    Durango R/T.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Loonatic
    Durango R/T.
    Oh yeah...bet you could get a SWEET deal on a 2004 they'll clear out cheap, add to that...0%! WooHoo!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lance-tek
    and I will wait to see your pics YOSc

Thanks,

-lance
    Over here in case you missed the other thread,
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=152424

You mention 5....I dunno about 3 across the back seat of a Liberty...she's a narrow vehicle, but someone mentioned the Durango. Whoo...there ya go!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loonatic
    Durango R/T.
    Good vehicle, but gracious what horrid mileage. It's obscene how much petro those things guzzle.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    Good vehicle, but gracious what horrid mileage. It's obscene how much petro those things guzzle.
    2005 Grand Cherokees are having a Hemi as an option now!

Although realistically that 340 prolly gets better mileage than the aging 318.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Curious though...all suped and duped, have you clocked your MPG....with "realistic every day driving"...meaning, what you do on a daily basis...not trying to sip gas on a long drive.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I average 24, thats a mix of 30% city and 70% highway(I cruise at 90mph ALOT). If I drive highyway/interstate totally(long trip) 27-30. If I decide that the laws of physics are hindering and go canyon carving....ohhh 8-11 mpg.

My turbo will push 23psi and still be in the efficient region of the curve. I have two settings on my computer, normal and JESUS CHRIST! Normal tops out at 19psi and the "I'm fixing to get a ticket" setting will nudge 23psi. To run those kinda pressures and stop detonation the comp goes into fuel dump mode and maxes out the injectors(I have bigger aftermarket ones). If I were to run an oval all out, the calculations point at roughly 5 miles to the gallon. Fuel pump is aftermarket as well, wanna say 280 liters per hour. Thats gobs of fuel for a 2 liter engine. I have to be wary at night when cops are around as the scary setting tends to chuck fireballs around.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

I have to be wary at night when cops are around as the scary setting tends to chuck fireballs around.
    Heeehee....

I really figured that boxer 'n hairdryer to dip into the upper teens. Wrangler I just got rid of was 12-14 everyday, and that's 'tween 85-90 most highways, as it took total flat foot to break much past 90 with her, but she'd comfortably cruise 'tween 85-90 without mashing the foot. Not bad for something with the aerodynamic efficiency of a parachute.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

i didnt read everyones posts but this is my opinion...i own a 90 Toyota 4Runner and i am really impressed with it...dont get me wrong i love my new Chevy Suburban to death but i still Love that TOy as much as the first day i bought it...have slammed about 60,000 on her in about 2 years and not a wimper...its a good strong vehicle, albeit a bit small on the inside but a great one nonetheless.

gettin ready to pass her on to my best friend back home in Indiana next month...imma be sad to see her go but shes going to a good home.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    Those are quite nice....my neighbor got one a few months ago, I drove it once. Very cushy ride, quite luxurious interior too.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bastid
    i didnt read everyones posts but this is my opinion...i own a 90 Toyota 4Runner .....
    gettin ready to pass her on to my best friend back home in Indiana next month...imma be sad to see her go but shes going to a good home.
    Didn't know I was your best friend but .... THANX

no seriously ... are you from here? Where at? And where are you now? and why?

-lance

Folding for the future