Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bittorrent sucks ass

SG Enthusiast

Thumbs down bittorrent sucks ass

I updated my bittorrent because it wouldn't allow me to use the old version. With the new one i'm not allowed to control bandwith, so when I go to play an online game my ping jumps from 10 to 350ms. Is there anyway to control the new one, or get the old one working again? I don't know what kind of idiot thought that this would be a good idea, most people I know that use it usually have to cap it for games or even just surfing the web.

Use this client.. you can cap the ups at 3k
    http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/

ииии

ииии

i use this and it works fine for my needs.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    i use this and it works fine for my needs.
    What kind of d/l speeds do you get? Is it client dependant?

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude
    What kind of d/l speeds do you get? Is it client dependant?
    i can max out my roadrunner internet with it if i choose to, both up and down if there are enough seeds.

not sure what you mean by " Is it client dependant?" ??
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

not sure what you mean by " Is it client dependant?" ??

Does one client download stuff faster than another?

Downloading is seed dependent right? More seeds equal faster downloads?

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude
    ............Downloading is seed dependent right? More seeds equal faster downloads?

as far as i can tell, yes and it depends on how much bandwidth they give or have.
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

as far as i can tell, yes and it depends on how much bandwidth they give or have.
    Thank you for the clarification.

I use torrent storm, www.torrentstorm.com, if you decide to get it download 1.2.2 it has 3 different clients you can use by going into settings and then downloads. I use shadow's for most of my stuff but sometimes I get where I need to use a newer client. The you can switch it to tornado(but cant control upload ). Its got a nice interface, where you can have lots of torrents going at the same time in one window. It also saves your torrent file inside the program, so you can get rid of the one you downloaded.
    P4 3.0@3450/920 | Asus p4p800 | WD 160gig SE | WD 36gig Raptor | GeForce 7800 GS | LiteOn DVD-RW 16x | Creative SB Audigy 2ZS | 1gig Geil 3500 | 2gig Corsair 3200 | Logitech Z-5500 Speakers | Viewsonic VP171B LCD | MX510 Mouse |

TV Fanatic
    bit torrent does not "suck ass." Its an amazing program. I use azureus, and I have gotten by download cap on numerous occasions (600-620KB/s.)

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mmione
    bit torrent does not "suck ass." Its an amazing program. I use azureus, and I have gotten by download cap on numerous occasions (600-620KB/s.)
    The default bittorrent does suck ass. I'm very generous with my OOL, I always upload 2-3x what I download.

thanks for the replies, I think i'm goin with tornado

I use BitComet and it works pretty well for me. Well at least than any other Bittorrent program i've used..any one else have experience with this one?

Question cannot perform a proper upload!

Quote Originally Posted by HowlingPhoenix
    I use BitComet and it works pretty well for me. Well at least than any other Bittorrent program i've used..any one else have experience with this one?

yeah man, I've also been using Bitcomet for a short time, but I think I have some problem with uploading! I check my share ratio in the main page and it shows 0.182 (just like a ****)..and if you are using bitcomet, that means your upload ratio must be higher than your downloading ratio so that you can get a high downloading speed ! Does anyone knows how to increase the share ratio??? Thanks for your helps...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HowlingPhoenix

in addition, I tested my IP state and it showed that the 80. IP port is closed. is there a possibility that it may effect my downloading and uploading speed?

TV Fanatic
    if you are on a router, you need to forward ports 6881-6889. Also, the only way to get a high share ratio is leave it open, eventually you will upload it to 1:1 share ratio. Just because you don't know how to use BitTorrent doesn't mean it sucks, it is the best sharing program.

If you don't configure it right it will suck. Also consider that allot of ISP's block the standard BT port range. You can circumvent this by using another port which is'nt already used. Most clients follow the basic rule of you give you get. Those who limit their upload too much in turn hurt their DL speed. This is not true of multi-network clients and certain other ones. A good example of this is Shareaza. Clients like this tend to have tracker reporting errors.
    Here are a few links which may make it not "suck" for you there.
    http://www.bittorrentguide.co.uk/
    http://btfaq.com/cgi-bin/fom?file=25...tModified=show
    http://www.monduna.com/bt/faq.html
    http://userpages.umbc.edu/~hamilton/btclientconfig.html

Also look for wiki's on the client you use too. Personaly I use Azureus for the most part and Shareza in conjuction with protowall.

TV Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher_138
    Personaly I use Azureus for the most part and Shareza in conjuction with protowall.
    me too

My friend just introduced me to eXeem. It uses torrent in a Kazaa like interface. Seems pretty cool so far.

http://www.exeem.com/
    The more I drink, the less I care.

Quote Originally Posted by mmione
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword
    I updated my bittorrent because it wouldn't allow me to use the old version. With the new one i'm not allowed to control bandwith, so when I go to play an online game my ping jumps from 10 to 350ms. Is there anyway to control the new one, or get the old one working again? I don't know what kind of idiot thought that this would be a good idea, most people I know that use it usually have to cap it for games or even just surfing the web.

Is there a file sharing program out there that doesn't suck ass?? I mean one that doesnt comprise security on the iNternet?