Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh my God! Y is there a huge difference in connection in WinME & Win2000??

bayag

Red face Oh my God! Y is there a huge difference in connection in WinME & Win2000??

I am getting so paranoid now. Please bear with me. In another thread, I was so yelling at my cable speed because I was hoping I would get above 100KBps. But I am always stuck at 45-60. That is in my Windows 2000 Pro, my default OS which I like so much because of its stability, dont care about bad for games since I dont play games at all. Then, I thought of why not try thr speedtest in WinME (my other OS (dual boot)). The speedtest site I used is this
    http://www.computingcentral.com/topi.../speedtest.asp

And surprisingly, there was a huge difference.

Take note though that I used patches for both OS, Windows 2000 Pro and Windows ME to help optimize the connection through the help of htttp://www.speedguide.net

And this was the result. I took screenshots so it would be clear.

This was a test under Windows 2000 Pro

And this was the test for Windows ME

That was such a huge difference
    Could anyone explain this to me? I was planning to switch to DSL but it seems I might have the same problem. If the problem is the OS, then I guess I would be getting the same problem in DSL. As much as possible, I'd like to retain Windows 2000 because of its stability. This is the only reason why I love Microsoft.

Anyone could help, I'd be forever grateful. Thanks.

cablenut

Talking

Maybe it is because you used the most unreliable speedtest around? also didn't have patches installed for 2k box..

------------------
    Head webcheese and geek guru @ http://www.cablenut.com

christophe

try a dl on a fast FTP web site you'll see the faster!
    win2k will be faster (really) as winMe

glc1

Hi bayag, and welcome to SpeedGuide...

That test you used is beyond inaccurate. MS has even admitted it. Try dslreports.com and 2wire.com. Also, try downloading a large file form a fast site, such as 3dfx.com or microsoft.com, etc.

bayag

Hi, thanks for the reply, that was quick.

I am still in the middle here of trying which is really faster.

I also tried dslreports.com and showed the ff

under
    Windows ME - it is 60x faster than 56k
    Windows 2000 - 22x faster than 56k

But you guys are right, the only way I can test this is when I download a big file.

I will try it and post the result.

bayag

Lightbulb

OK I am back

I tried 2wire.com

Windows ME (850kbps)
    Windows 2000 Pro (350kbps)

I also tried downloading some songs off napster and I got above 100k in Windows ME whereas in Windows 200 Pro, I constantly been getting around 20-40k. (getting from same people with Cable).

And then I downloaded a 10 meg file off www.downloads.com . I downloaded same file, with all program closed and Windows ME downloaded the file in 32 seconds whereas Windows 2000 Pro downloaded it in 3 minutes and 14 seconds

I really dont know. I guess I will have to go back in Windows ME . I didnt know it will matter. My harddrive by the way is newly formatted.

bayag

Is anyone else having the same problem?

glc1

Hmm, this is interesting. When I was dual booting 2k and ME, I had no patches installed and speeds were pretty much the same. Are you using an Ehternet modem?

Master1608

Lightbulb

What is better where is the better Sppeed
    by ME or Win2000

Thanks Master1608

------------------
    Master1608

bayag

I wasnt here when this was installed by @Home but yeah I belive so. I went to system and it is showin up 3Com.

This is really weird. I might end up reformatting again.

Venom

Well I took a winMe training not to long ago thanx to my job and winMe was "supposley" created with a smart TCP/IP if you were on dail up it would defalt the MTU and other settings to the optimum for dail up same for lan, Cable or DSL so Virtualy You wouldn't have to tweak so much and you would already get kinda a good connection, thats why WinME was also better then 98 for networking. That is also the same reason why the TCP/IP for dail-up adapter has 3 tabs and the one for a NIC card has all the tabs. Well that might not be the reason that your speed is so different but then again Windows 2000 wasn't created like that either. even though is A LOT BETTER! and More stable. but Talking about stable did you guys know that the trick for Wndows Me to be more stable is that instead of SFC (system File Checker) it's actually SFP (system file protecter) and it has a list of the 800 most important files, and if you install a program that overwrites one of those files once you reboot windows replaces the file back to what it was, if the file changes in anyway it replaces the file, so that's why it's harder for companies to make new drivers because in order to overwrite one of those 800 files they have to get the driver Microsoft certified with a seal of aproval so the SFP can recognize and add the file to a cab file so it can be your upgrade other then that your stuck with microsft stuff. Well I know that wasn't important in this thread thought I would mention it.

------------------
    \/E(\)()(\/)

bayag

the trick for Wndows Me to be more stable is that instead of SFC (system File Checker) it's actually SFP (system file protecter) and it has a list of the 800 most important files, and if you install a program that overwrites one of those files once you reboot windows replaces the file back to what it was, if the file changes in anyway it replaces the file, so that's why it's harder for companies to make new drivers because in order to overwrite one of those 800 files they have to get the driver Microsoft certified with a seal of aproval so the SFP can recognize and add the file to a cab file so it can be your upgrade other then that your stuck with microsft stuff. Well I know that wasn't important in this thread thought I would mention it.

What are we supposed to get then? Are you talking about a program?

rmrucker

Talking

Venon-

On a humorous note -- I *believe* I saw a post where the SFP caused an interesting problem. A guy got a virus in one of the "protected" files, so he used his anti-virus software to remove the virus. Well, lo and behold, everytime he re-booted, the "clean" file kept getting replaced by the prior virus-laden file -- because WinME was trying to "protect" him!

So, sometimes a good thing isn't.

[This message has been edited by rmrucker (edited 11-20-2000).]

Venom

bayag:
    Sorry for that, no it's what it already has, see windows 98 has a program Called System File Checker, that checks the files to make sure they are not currupted but it all it does is tell you if they are currupted or not IF you run the program, Windows ME has a system File Protecter Program it runs every time you trun on the computer and if any of the 800 files in the list are afected it will replace that file. So in other words it's already included in windows Me it's just the way they say they are more stable because Microsoft says that the majority of unstability is thanx to drivers of other companies and software that installs other files that overwrites the windows files, claiming to be an upgrade but it doesn't comply with windows and they are not windows certified, so with win ME they have to certify the drivers and everything else before selling the program cuz if not the program wont work well because the OS will restore the files.

------------------
    \/E(\)()(\/)

Venom

rmrucker:

*LOL* thats a good one!

Well here is another bad thing if there is anyone who is paranoid about disk space well Windows Me wether you like it or not and wether you tell it to or not it will copy the cab files to the HD because that's how it replaces the files. *lol*

------------------
    \/E(\)()(\/)

Venom

OH I happen to have a list of those 800 files if anyone is interested *lol*

------------------
    \/E(\)()(\/)

Sheriff_bob

Talking

This is a rather interesting post .. Its rather suprising that the two os's run so different.. seein that win2k is a networking os and that me is not and that me is crap and that it eats up ram like nothing else..

so hear are my question..

1. Are both os's on the same machine.
    2. Do you have different settings for each os
    3. What service are you using..

sure is crazy..

I love my win2k

the MSN test sucks, that's why

it's not reliable, it's not a good test

dthemcp

I originally was using Windows 2000 and was getting average speeds. Now I reverted back to WIN98 and I get very good speeds. I would go with Win98 if you have the choice. If not, then definitely go with WinME.

I'm actually getting better speeds on win2k untweaked then on winME/98 untweaked ....(I am now on win2k ) I'll test some win2k tweaks later on.