Thread: Dead Laptop

jimslyp69

Dead Laptop

Heeelp. I have a laptop that recently had a firewall installed on it. The next time it wass booted up it comes up with screen saying windows was not able to start properly. It will not start in safe mode or with last known good config. It just goes windows welcome boom restart. I cannot use any of my trouble shooting diags such as dos or the likes because it does not have a standard 3.5 inch floppy drive. It has some kind of 2 inch long strange drive thingy that i have never come across before. Also i cannot use my Windows system disk to boot from because it insists that NTLDR is missing. Although i know that this system disk works fine on any other PC i have used it on. I have considered using an external floppy or hard drive to boot from but I am not sure if this would work because it also has a strange boot sequence that is not part of the BIOS that only has the option to boot from HDD Floppy(which it has not got) cd rom or LAN. ANy suggestions??????

Quote Originally Posted by jimslyp69
    Heeelp. I have a laptop that recently had a firewall installed on it. The next time it wass booted up it comes up with screen saying windows was not able to start properly. It will not start in safe mode or with last known good config. It just goes windows welcome boom restart. I cannot use any of my trouble shooting diags such as dos or the likes because it does not have a standard 3.5 inch floppy drive. It has some kind of 2 inch long strange drive thingy that i have never come across before. Also i cannot use my Windows system disk to boot from because it insists that NTLDR is missing. Although i know that this system disk works fine on any other PC i have used it on. I have considered using an external floppy or hard drive to boot from but I am not sure if this would work because it also has a strange boot sequence that is not part of the BIOS that only has the option to boot from HDD Floppy(which it has not got) cd rom or LAN. ANy suggestions??????

Hi and welcome to speedguide, you may get a better response to this question if you put it either in the "hardware & overclclocking" or "software" forums,remember though to try and only put it in only one,or maybe ask a moderator to move this one for you.

good luck!

Blog Entries
    The NTLDR error means that Windows can't find the Bootloader in the MBR... Meaning your Master Boot Record is probably corrupt. You might have to do: "format /mbr" (without the quotes) to "fix" it.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

You can also boot from the Windows CD, run the recovery console option and run the "fixmbr" command from there.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"