Thread: Cable Modem and Ethernet card forget connection

MichaelConklin

Post Cable Modem and Ethernet card forget connection

I have Roadrunner with a 3Com cable modem and a Linksys 100 ethernet card. The computer is running Windows ME with 64Meg of memory. After any serious game playing OR any long Outlook express session (i.e. while writing a long email) my connection goes dead. The modem is working properly and shows a good connection to the head end and all diagnostics on the Linksys card show it is working properly. However my computer cannot connect to anything. The only fix is to turn both the computer and the modem off, and leave them off for at least 3 minutes. Then when I bring them up everything works fine again. Any ideas on the source of the problem?

Talking

I had that problem with my sons computer when I installed a linsky nic. I have rr to. I put me in his and it did the same thing. I end up buying him a 3com nic.Plus are you running zonealarm. I had a problem with that to when they upgraded are routers frimware, Here in my area. Had to switch firewalls. Hope this helps. You might need to add some memory to. This might be part of the problem. I know 98se didn't run that great gameing on 64megs on my sons. So when I installed win me I up dated his memory to 128 and now he is doing great.
    Have A Nice Day!!!!!!!!!

MichaelConklin

Talking

Thanks. I think I am going to try the memory upgrade first since the problem seems to happen after any extensive memory use. (I notice I have very little free memory even right after boot up). I am running ZoneAlarm and I hope that is not the problem. I have been testing it for my company and it seems to be the best. On the other hand, the cable tech seemed to think that ZoneAlarm was the problem. Turning it off seems to make no difference however.

redscarab3

Try regedit
    Assign 4096 of mem in emm386 (386 Enh ) thats the key, assign the mem to the nics irq = irq 9=4096 then add the key.
    this will reserve mem for the irq under strong game play

[ 02-04-2001: Message edited by: redscarab3 ]

Mconklin, your experiencing a WinME release/renew problem, and I don't beleive MS has released a corrective patch yet.

Try setting your IP up static for a little bit and see if you still loose connection remember that your local provider doesn't want you to be static they eant you to stay DHCP but this will help you trouble shoot if stays fine in static no matter duration of use than maybe your IP is (gulp) shared by someone else on the gateway if this does fix ya (going static)....call up and see if your local provider will assign a new IP to your comptuer name.....ytey will say that each time you boot up under DHCP you get a different IP address...but I bet if you keep track of your assigned IP each time you boot you will find that your IP is always the same...good luck

SG Enthusiast

There is an option in the Network Panel, in TCP/IP or any protocol you're using, Detect Network Media, try deselecting it and see if that works.

Exclamation

They blame zonealarm because of there newest frimware. So I switch to sygate and it works great. Plus the upgradeing of the memory will help a lot. If you are useing roadrunner do not make it stactic if you do you will loose your connection. I tried that when I was running zone alarm and could not get the ip back .When the DHCP renewed the lease on the Ip. They renew the lease every four hours. Your Ip don't change but your lease on it is renewed then. According to them you may have the same Ip up to 6 months to a year on there new system . So go with the memory upgrade and see if that sovles your problem. Good Luck!
    Have A Nice Day!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a bad NIC. Try a new one.
    Closed course and Professional user.
    Don't try this at Home!

Smile

You know it is nto uncommon to come across a bad nic card. It seems like the more posts on the forums i read the more problems that seem smimple can be solved. I had the exact same problem i would be ok for 10 15 minutes then i would have to restart and cold boot because my connection went dead. I was using a cheap-ass 10 base t card that cost 25 bux. FOr the longest time it hought it was the cable companys fault. I thought mabe it was a faulty wire or something. So someone suggested that i go and buy a new nic card. So i went to compusa, and purcahsed a 10/100 base ethernet card by intel. EVer since then it has worked fine. so sometimes the hardest problems have the simplest answers. I posted some cool stuff on the forum about this intel. please see previous posts by me. GOODLUCK

bobby@runbox.com
    Yes thats my reflection....

Let them laugh now,
    let them laugh for years,
    we'll see whos laughing in the house of mirriors............

Questions comments Towards me? email me.........

bobby@runbox.com

Talking

could it possibly be that you may have some corrupted files. Have you tried just resetting up win me and see if that helps.Or just try reinstalling your card or just rebuilding the TCP\Ip Protocol. Either one of ways might help you out with your Problem. Good Luck! Did you try seeing if Microsoft might have a patch for this. really I don't know. I install me for people but I don't use it. Hope this helps you out a little.
    Have A Nice Day!!!!!!!!!

MichaelConklin

I am reasonably sure that ZoneAlarm is not the problem since the problem is the same whether ZoneAlarm is installed or not. I am curious if anyone knows more about the WinME release/renew problem. The RoadRunner tech I talked to had never heard of it but I found I can completely kill my connection by attempting a release/renew with winipcfg.