Thread: IOPageLockLimit

IOPageLockLimit

where is this at ? I saw a thread in here about memory management tweaks,
    and since I run an IIS from my rig, I am interested in trying to help the transfer on it.
    but as of yet havent seen it in the registry or system files. do I need to edit it into the registry with the decimal or hex value ? I run a gig of ram on this , so have plenty to spare.
    I saw the thread on pg6(http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...5&page=6&pp=15) near the bottom, but it didnt give enough information on where it is or should be.

heres the thread as I saw it:

XP memory tweaks
    Below are some Windows XP memory tweaks. They are located in the windows registry at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    DisablePagingExecutive - When enabled, this setting will prevent the paging of the Win2k Executive files to the hard drive, causing the OS and most programs to be more responsive. However, it is advised that people should only perform this tweak if they have a significant amount of RAM on their system (more than 128 MB), because this setting does use a substantial portion of your system resources. By default, the value of this key is 0. To enable it, set it to 1.
    LargeSystemCache - When enabled (the default on Server versions of Windows 2000), this setting tells the OS to devote all but 4 MB of system memory (which is left for disk caching) to the file system cache. The main effect of this is allowing the computer to cache the OS Kernel to memory, making the OS more responsive. The setting is dynamic and if more than 4 MB is needed from the disk cache for some reason, the space will be released to it. By default, 8MB is earmarked for this purpose. This tweak usually makes the OS more responsive. It is a dynamic setting, and the kernel will give up any space deemed necessary for another application (at a performance hit when such changes are needed). As with the previous key, set the value from 0 to 1 to enable. Note that in doing this, you are consuming more of your system RAM than normal. While LargeSystemCache will cut back usage when other apps need more RAM, this process can impede performance in certain intensive situations. According to Microsoft, the "[0] setting is recommended for servers running applications that do their own memory caching, such as Microsoft SQL Server, and for applications that perform best with ample memory, such as Internet Information Services."
    IOPageLockLimit - This tweak is of questionable value to people that aren't running some kind of server off of their computer, but we will include it anyway. This tweak boosts the Input/Output performance of your computer when it is doing a large amount of file transfers and other similar operations. This tweak won't do much of anything for a system without a significant amount of RAM (if you don't have more than 128 MB, don't even bother), but systems with more than 128 MB of RAM will generally find a performance boost by setting this to between 8 and 16 MB. The default is 0.5 MB, or 512 KB. This setting requires a value in bytes, so multiply the desired number of megabytes * 1024 * 1024. That's X * 1048576 (where X is the number, in megabytes). Test out several settings and keep the one which seems to work best for your system.

any help greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by RAAF453_Shep; 07-20-04 at 10:10 AM. Reason: goofed on page #
    nothing like my Virtual Spitfire Mk IXc and a few wingmen to cover my 6 !

ok I guess I'll find out if I just killed this ...

I an trying 16 mb's in the equation , and added a DWord Value of 16777216
    in Hex. to---
    HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

there wasnt a IO pagelocklimit in there, so if I read that right, it's just add it and rock on .....

but do I multiply the 16 mb's by 1024 or the second #

any opinions ?

Last edited by RAAF453_Shep; 07-20-04 at 01:37 PM. Reason: I am sooo confused on this...
    nothing like my Virtual Spitfire Mk IXc and a few wingmen to cover my 6 !