Thread: Faster CompactFlash - Worth the extra $$$ ?

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar

Faster CompactFlash - Worth the extra $$$ ?

I bought a Canon S410 (the small ELPH) digital camera last week but put off buying a 256 or 512 MB Compact Flash card to store pictures.

For me, the million dollar question is how big a difference is there if I buy one of the faster memory cards (eg. Buy the Ultra I or II instead of just the basic Sandisk).

It's easy enough to read that one might be 2.8 MB/s, another 10 MB/s. The real question is, how fast does the camera write to the media. If it only writes at 3 MB/s, the 10 MB/s is hardly worth it (I suspect the camera can write quite fast). The real benefit to more speed is to reduce the amount of time between pictures. From what I see, the most time is taken to focus the camera (about 0.5 seconds or so) between pictures. Is the amount of time taken to write to the memory pretty meaningless anyway because the time to focus on the next shot is the real bottleneck?

Any opinions?

Canadian, eh... you hoser lewis's Avatar
    I can't tell you what the exact numbers are but I 've read that the faster card also will upload quicker to your computer. Theres a few boards that deal with digitals you might want to check out.

Digital Camera Reviews or Steve's Digicams .

I'd go with the Ultra, as long as the camera has a quick write speed and can find one at decent price.

I've got the regular Sandisk 512 for my new Canon A75. Works fine for what I use it for.

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar
    Awesome, another Flames Fan. It was a wild ride (and one hell of a wait) this year. Will be interesting to see if we can follow up with anything next year (or whenver hockey starts up again).

Thanks man, I'll check out the links & maybe look for some specs in my manual to see how fast the camera can write to memory. I'm not overly concerned about the speed I can read off the memory card, maybe if I had a card reader I'd feel differently. For now, I suspect I'll simply upload all the pictures to my hard drive and manage things from there.