Thread: cable light and test light blinking ?

christophe

Question cable light and test light blinking ?

hey,
    I did a cable modem reset and after the plug again this two lights were blinking for a while (almost 1 minute) and now my spped has dropped down by an half.
    i tried the rr chat., asked a tech about that and he said it's normal.. he asked me about my conenction speed now.. when I said it's slow... he send to me this page http://help.rr.com/repository/624/e3...odem_slow.html
    can someone explain me why after have had this two light blinking my speed dropped down by an half
    thanks in advance
    Christophe

[This message has been edited by christophe (edited 10-24-2000).]

Kip Patterson

I can't think of a way that resetting the modem would reduce your speeds.

Why did you reset it? The answer may lie there.

christophe

I reseted.. and flushed my dsn cache because I have slow connections.. these days...
    waited a while and started by plug my cable odem.. but this one after I did it, did something like normal. first time al the led are on after cable pc data blink one time .. and ant the end usually when the cable light keep on
    this light and the test led were blinking fast for one minute + - ( the first time i saw it I reseted the modem thinking I did someting wrong.. touch the coax..huh..?! or a wrong power plug...)
    I don't know now only maine.rr is fast tried to go just right now on help.rr.com it not slow but it take a while for loading the pages ..
    I don't know ..
    it slow slower than before i tried to change my ip ( and it still there too)
    i'm not sure ..
    thanks
    pS: i don't know and undrstand the two light (test and cable.. why they were blinking at the same time...I tried again just a reset and never got in back this thing..?!?..huh..?!? there is a relation ?)

[This message has been edited by christophe (edited 10-24-2000).]

Biggy

the two lights blinking for a minute or so is normal, it is just trying to sync up. sometimes when resetting it takes longer than other times. As long as your cable led light is on and is a solid light without blinking then you are in sync with RR. I believe your speed problems are related to something else. If you are concerned about your speed and if it is slower than usual for an extended period of time, I would have a RR tech come out to your house and have them run a sweep on your lines, they will do this for free. By the way what are your speeds.

christophe

ok,
    thanks i thought.. about a relation ...with my new drop down
    and for my speed.. humm I never got speed like actually with my isp.... i'll call them... maybe this week..
    is speed guide froum slow.. now ?
    is msn sloww.. ?(<== very slow for me ..)
    is yahoo sloowww..
    thanks again for the answer
    Christophe

christophe

ha! forgot
    "run a sweep on your line... " I don't understan (sorry i'm not a native english speaker)
    thanks

Biggy

Well, i have RR too. and i had a problem with speeds, my speeds kept dropping down and some days be constant and other days drop really low. Though i know that speeds can vary, not to the extent to which i was experiencing. I had a RR tech come out and they swept my cable line. what they do is check the connection from your cable line to their end. They have a machine that they hook up to your cable inlet and cable modem. they do a series of tests. With me they found out that they had put a wrong splitter on my cable line. This kept me from getting full capabilities. My suggestion is that you have them come out, it won't hurt anything and wont cost you anything either. Just tell them that you are having some problems with your speed, and that is has dropped considerably and are concerned. Remember this is a service that they provide and you are entitled to it. thats why we pay a monthly fee. anyay good luck and fill me in.

christophe

oki doki i'll call them, because i have something like what's you described .. but since they change my modem...
    thanks for all
    Christophe

christophe

yes.. I really have a problem.. I had a upload problem, now it's gone.. but I have this problem for my download now lol :!!)
    thanks