View Poll Results: Should the Presidential Election be delayed?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 4.00%
  • No

24 96.00%

Thread: Should the Presidential Election be delayed?

Should the Presidential Election be delayed?

There is talk of delaying the election due to the recent flurry of terrorist chatter.

I think we are about to enter some very dangerous ground here.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...lay/index.html

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Certified SG Addict
    You mean just in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Burke
    You mean just in general?

If there is a terrorist attack.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD
    If there is a terrorist attack.
    Oh. Maybe if it's like a catastrophic attack, but only for a short while (a month at the most).

Nope. If they want to attack it that bad, they will get it whenever it is held.

I think by telling the terrorists that we will postpone elections if they attack, will give them more reason to attack. Imagine the political fallout of a delayed election.

That reminds me, I need to order some more ammo!
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

keep it the same day if we postpone so will they

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

Should the Presidential Election be delayed?
    no
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD
    There is talk of delaying the election due to the recent flurry of terrorist chatter.

I think we are about to enter some very dangerous ground here.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...lay/index.html
    How many times? At what price?

NO

However, I would be amused by anyone who is vehemently against the Patriot Act and would want to postpone our National Elections.

Certified SG Addict
    I have the crash positions scene in Airplane! in mind when I think of it. We should at least have some kind of contingency plan, because if they start hitting individual voting places, people aren't going to show up anyway. If it's one large attack somewhere, it might not be necessary.

no..

Quote Originally Posted by Burke
    I have the crash positions scene in Airplane! in mind when I think of it. We should at least have some kind of contingency plan, because if they start hitting individual voting places, people aren't going to show up anyway. If it's one large attack somewhere, it might not be necessary.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

Short version:

Some panicky type in some office created by Bush (to prevent the kind of chaos that happened in the last election) is trying to do contingency planning.

He's basically asking for permission to reasearch the subject, as no one knows what the procedure is.

Longer Version:

The truth is the election doesn't have to be certified for weeks in each state, and there are already local policies to deal with any local or regional emergency. They can and have been postponed before because of natural disaster without affecting the overall outcome.

There's not going to be any delay of the election. Even if they set off 500 bombs there's not going to be a delay of the election. There may be a delay of the vote AT THOSE SITES. But not overall, and not at the electoral college, and that's where it counts.

Further, any Muslim with a tiny bit of understanding of the US psyche understands that terrorism immediately before election pretty much guarantees Bush's re-election. The result will be opposite of what it was in Spain.

There will be a #### YOU vote, if you will.

There is a reason the PLO (excuse me, the Palestinian Authority) is calling for waiting until after the US election before introducing any UN resolution demanding Isreal tear down the anti-terror wall. They KNOW Bush will order a US Veto of any security council resolution. They suspect Kerry will, but there's a chance he might not. They WANT him in office and would probably oppose any plans to interfere in the US election because it would diminish Kerry's chances. They don't control Al-Queda etc.. but there is shared intelligence I believe.

Still, again, the important thing is not the date of the election, but the certification of the votes.

The Constitution wasn't written in stone. Adaptions to emergency circumstances can be made, upto and including postponment of any day of voting.

Remember, it used to take days or WEEKS to get the votes counted and Electoral College people dispatched to whatever city they were holding their voting in. This would really be no different than that. Public announcements would be made etc etc. The local vote would be held the next day it could be held.. the important thing is not the day of the vote but the vote certification, because that is what the elector bases his/her votes on.

We're used to knowing that night who the next president will be, but that's a relatively modern thing based on better communication equipment. Remember the "Dewey Beats Truman" headline that was so famous? That happened because the commos couldn't be delivered fast enough and the newspaper had to go to print with what it had.

And that wasn't even 60 years ago. For most of this country's history we haven't known the same day who would be President. It usually took days or weeks. Which is the point I'm getting to. It does NOT matter if the vote is held on the first Tuesday or the first wednesday or any other day, SO LONG AS the vote tallies get delivered to the State Secretary/Registrar on time to be certified and they have the better part of a month to do that.

A bit creepy to hear the Repubs talking about it, and of course the tinfoil hat crowd will shoot the moon, but really it's much ado about nothing. IMHO.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-
    PS: This reveals a flaw in our system. Rather than setting off bombs you could have fifty terrorists assassinate fifty or more particular electoral college members on the day of their voting, and that COULD have an impact on the election. The States would be hard pressed to get an elector there in time and no one can vote in an electors stead.

It's the slippery slope that gets me. If you delay an election, ignoring the provisions that states and districts ALREADY HAVE, what's to stop the ruler in power from having the US military do "terrorist acts" to keep that ruler in power? Goodness knows there are enough people in the US without scruples that that plan could work...

No;opposed to delay

Among other things the House Of Representatives would impeach him in about 20minutes and the Senate would vote to convict. Bam, Vice President becomes President just like that. If he does anything BESIDES order a new election he gets impeached too, and Bam now the Speaker of The House is President.

The Congress isn't going to let Bush create a junta. Maybe 15% of the conservatives would go along with it in the short term, but almost all of the others wouldn't. For two reasons, regardless of which side of the aisle they are on they are Americans above all (Witness the massive joint cooperation immediately following 9/11) When it comes down to the serious stuff they tend to do the right thing. Two, they know that if they don't the voters will throw all of them out the first chance they get.

You think the military is going to follow the orders of someone who is no longer President?

Last time I checked they weren't following the orders of Clinton OR Bush Sr.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    I don't think the elections should be delayed. At this point whether they are delayed or not, the same or another terrorist threat will be rebroadcasted if it is rescheduled.

Rescheduling the elections would make the terrorists look like winners.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Its impossible to say under the current situation. If attacks happen the day of then I suppose a situation could exist where it would need to be, but I would hope it wasn't delayed.