Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP - Goodbye NetBEUI!?

Windows XP - Goodbye NetBEUI!?

Is it true that NetBEUI is going south with XP? I use this protocol for file transferring and printing on my home PC's. MSofts's Upgrade Advisor for XP says I'll have to use TCP/IP for this. How will home networking work under XP if I don't want to use TCP/IP to expose my Netbios to the world?

Use a firewall .....

I don't have XP myself, but I seem to remember reading a message somewhere, that said Netbeui IS on the XP disk and you have to install it manually, mainly because microsoft is moving away from it and offers no more support for it.

That is all I know. Good luck in finding it.

Your all right, Microsoft have decided to dump it, but it's not that hard to find, i use XP pro 2600 build, and on my disc it's
    (F: being my cdrom) f:\valueadd\msft\net\netbeui

Basically all u have to do is copy them to the system32 and then copy the netnbf.inf file to the (d: being the directory where i've installed xp) d:\windows\inf
    then install it like u would win2k,98 If u have any probs i'll write it all out for u but it's pretty straight forward, have fun

do people still use Netbeui????
    You see, the rat's also a Ventriloquist.

Real Scots wear kilts, because sheep can hear a zipper from 500 yards

www.jiu-jitsu-do.com
    http://members.lycos.nl/budoka/euronojutsu.htm

hi cobra,

I still use it, it's non routable, it's faster then tcp/ip, personally i don't find anything wrong with it, and it's security is great becuase of the fore mentioned reason.

hmmmm good point...... but the main reason i use IPX/SPX is for network gaming.... lots of games only support network gaming using that protocol....

and for security reasons.... just make sure they don't get past ur hardware firewall....

www.jiu-jitsu-do.com

Still using IPX/SPX? Talk about slooooooooow and adding bunches of network overhead. When you say alot of games still require..you must be talking about games that are pretty old. IPX/SPX is a dead protocol, almost as dead as Netware

well what's wrong with older games???? We play Delta Force 2 frequently..... and it works great...

I've always understood that Netbeui was dying as well....

www.jiu-jitsu-do.com

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Blows me away why Microsoft would treat NetBEUI like a fading protocol....main reason it should be an up front protocol is...look at the explosion of home LANs over the past couple of years due to everyone getting broadband, routers, etc etc. Why shouldn't NetBEUI be a default protocol like TCP/IP, to easily let everyone have an easy and secure home LAN, since NetBEUI is not routable, it's lightening fast, and doesn't require configuration. TCP/IP and IPX are both routable, so someone worried about security doesn't want those bound to client and sharing services.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I'm glad to hear the NetBEUI will still have some life left in it. I wonder how MS makes these decisions to what to obsolete and what to keep. Does MS get a kickback on every stick of RAM, on every new MOBO, on every new HD, on every new piece of software, etc, that some folks will have to buy just to get XP to work on their system? It makes one beleive in conspiracies.

DingoBoy

netbooya

i used it before i set up my home network. When I built my last PC, i made a crossover cable and hooked the 2 pc's directly together through the nic's. Easiest and fastest way to hook 2 pc's directly together without a true network.

you can describe netbeui's increased performance over tcp/ip and ipx/spx in one word..........overhead. its still the fastest for transferring files and using network printers. Tcp/ip is gonna always be the protocol for the internet though as ipx/spx has fallen by the way side. yea sure older games support it like starcraft and such but tcp/ip is really taken over and if you notice with each new version of novell they also are supporting tcp/ip as there main protocol. Really i just use tcp/ip now because I think for transferring files its fine and although netbeui is faster as i stated earlier i like having the fewest protocols installed as possible on my network. Also i challeng that having one pc to the internet with tcp/ip and the rest connected to that pc with netbeui is any safer than all having tcp/ip and if you think before you respond you'll see why.

Funny how all of you figure NetBEUI is faster then TCP/IP when the latest version of SAMBA (Windows file & print sharing for UNIX) is a faster then any Windows server. (it runs completely over TCP/IP )

TCP/IP is efficient, it's some of the applications that use TCP/IP that aren't.

BTW, masquerading several PC's behind one to share the internet is a secure means of networking. Using a make shift network operating system isn't.

Stef

Advanced Member
    You are right Stef.

However, most of home users don't run Linux Samba.

TCP/IP configuration is yielding a lot of trouble for people who want to connect their computers, and don't see networking as their hobby.

BTW: I notice on some of my Networks, that when some clients use the Internet, and others use the internal network. Systems with the combo TCP/IP, and NetBEUI yield smoother surfing, then systems with TCP/IP only.

TheDude106
    I currently connect through a linksys router and got 2 windows xp comps hooked up. Should I use NetBeui or should I use tcp/ip

it doesn't matter dude.. but if u want a secure network where u share files with your other computer and not the rest of the world then bind netbeui for file and printer sharing...

TheDude106
    uh... how do i set which protocols to use for file sharing?

start then control panel, then network and internet connection, then u should have a window open with local internet conection thing...... then click the advanced tab and then advanced settings, untick the appropriate boxes and then do it to all the other computers.....that's it

TheDude106
    but then i cant use the internet. I use my nic card to access the internet through a router.