Thread: Prime 95 - Fatal Hardware Error

Unhappy Prime 95 - Fatal Hardware Error

I was running Prime 95 and it came up with a

"fatal error rounding was 0.5, expected less then 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file"

So I did and now I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.

The stress.txt says it could be 3 problems overheating CPU, Memory DIMMS ( what are those
    and what does DIMMs stand for?) which are not quite up to speck, or my Power supply.
    I've also been having a problem with my computer randomly rebooting, which Terrancelam pointed
    out for me could be caused by a bad powersupply or my powersupply not suppling enough power.

What is a good temp. for a CPU to be running at? Mine seems to be running from as low as 29
    degrees C to as high as 31 generally.

If it is a Memory DIMM problem it says to try swapping them...so what is a DIMM? my RAM?

In my Bios it says my CPU Vcore is 1.600V, DDR Reference Voltage 2.6 V and AGP VDDQ voltage
    is 1.5 V. I don't know if all or any of those are important, but if they are they normal or at
    least good?

Additional Info straight from my Bios a few mins ago.
    MB Temp 37 C
    Cpu temp 31 C
    Vcore voltage 1.63V
    +3.3V voltage 3.40V
    +5V voltage 4.97V
    +12V voltage 12.16V

If you can offer any help or advice please do.
    If you need to add or clearify something please let me know.
    If you want to poke with a stick so I explode feel free I just finnished eating .

Thanks
    *Cho* / Tyler
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

DIMM = Dual Inline Memory Module......yes its your ram.

Temps look good ...try swapping out the memory.

you could try running memtest 86 to test the memory, is this system overclocked at all ??

try raiseing the voltage on your memory to 2.7 and then run prime to see if it is stable.

it could be the power supply, i just had an issue with one last month or so, the voltages looked good but the system would randomly reboot, turned out it had smoked some conectors on the mobo, swapped it out with a spoare i had and all was good.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

I'd say it's prolly your PSU..

especially since you mentioned random rebooting..

I'll try raising the memory voltage to 2.7 (thats the DDR Refernce voltage right?)

I've already d/l memtest 86 which I got from this site.
    http://www.memtest86.com/

I click the link memtest86 3.1a release

and d/l Pre-complied Memtest86 v3.1a installable for windows and dos since
    the top one is for linux and I am running windows.

I read the read me however under installation it says linux only.

when I click the install file the dos screen comes up but only for a few milli
    seconds so I can't do anything.

what am I doing wrong? did I d/l the wrong file?
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

oh btw I'm not overclocking at all

I raiseded the DDR ref. voltage to 2.7 and then ran Prime95, but it came up with the same result.

I'll try running memtest 86 once i figure it out.

If it isn't the memory it is most likely the PSU then huh?

can a PSU that is crapping out cause any bad damage to my computer? or is the only thing I have to worry about losing unsaved data?

I got Memtest 86 to run and it came up with mutliple errors on Test 2, 4,5 and 6 I believe. Also it seemed to loop after test 7. Once test 7 reached 100% it would go back to test 4. I ran it over night....after 13 hours...I thought something was wrong considering it is only suppose to take 5.

Anyways since my ram failed the memtest does that mean it needs to be replaced or what are my other options if any?

not sure what brand memory you have, but if it can't run memtest at default speeds i would see about warrentying it.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    not sure what brand memory you have, but if it can't run memtest at default speeds i would see about warrentying it.
    I have crucial or....uh...micron

I can't remember...I think Micron owns crucial or it could be vice versa.
    How long does Ram usually have a warrenty for?

not sure on the warrenty, but corsair and mushkin have lifetime warrenties, why don't you just call them toll free and see what they have to say.
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    not sure on the warrenty, but corsair and mushkin have lifetime warrenties, why don't you just call them toll free and see what they have to say.
    Alright, Will do

thanks for all the help.