Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trend Micro Antivirus vs Norton Antivirus

Lightbulb Trend Micro Antivirus vs Norton Antivirus

I'm about to purchase Antivirus protection for a small business network of 10 machines. My friend told me he purchased Trend Micro Antivirus for his company a few months ago and it's a really great product.
    I've done some research online and found lots of positive feed back.
    I've done some comparison with Trend Micro and Norton and found that for the same SMB 10-User package from Norton i will be spending about $200 more.

Trend Micro
    Norton

Has anyone had any negative/positive experiences with Trend?

Thanks,
    TB

I wouldn't use either, I would use AVG 7.0 Pro, hands down the best av app there is.

I like trend's online scanner (found about 8 more viruses that Mcafee didn't) and I also like Symantec corporate as well.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Trend Micro's been getting rated quite highly lately.

PCWorld, last months issue, it took first place in a test.

2nd place was Eset's NOD32 (which actually had a higher detection rate with current definitions, but they average in some other factors)

McAfee
    Symantec
    Panda
    and dead last...AVG.

I haven't fiddled with their networked version in a while....but I'll be honest....Symantec CE or SBE...top notch for managing across a network. Manage all clients from a console, force installs easily, distribute definitions from the server, catch alerts from that console.

This week I've been playing with NOD32's network administrator package at home....if you want the antivirus app that's been winning the most awards for detection rate, from independent sources, ...NOD32 is it. Pricing is pretty aggressive also.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Come on YOSC you put ANY faith in those ridiculous magazine tests? They are the biggest joke in the world, the "big boys" pay for their products to be rated number one, that is a fact. They don't even use a large REAL virus database to test from, they mostly use "test" viruses.

I am in FULL agreement with Norm, AVG is the best. Every single day I see AVG find viruses that others miss. Just yesterday I had a client with eTrust 7.0, that was fully up to date and scanned nightly (I set it up, he bought before I did any work for him), it said the pc was clean. After I worked on his network and explained that I only support AVG he wanted to try it, plus he was convinced that eTrust wasn't working as well as it should since "weird things" were still going on with his pc. This was after I had used Ad Aware, SpyBot and HijackThis.

This client had just lost all of his data on one of his pcs due to a virus, this was before he met me, so he was VERY cautious.

Well I uninstalled eTrust and installed, updated and setup the deeper scanning properties and AVG found 5 trojans that eTrust missed.

I see this almost every day and can't understand for the life why some of you guys say AVG misses a lot or sucks, it has out performed every other AV app I've tried. Every single client I have switched to AVG (FREE and Pro) has not had a single virus since they have switched. Where they were getting a virus here and there before with the programs they were using (Norton, McAfee, PCillin, Panda, eTrust).

I personally don't care what ANY "test" says, I know what I have seen first hand over and over again...... and that is AVG is the best.

:2cool:

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52
    AVG is the best.

Not here to bash AVG, since I use it but I have seen it miss viruses that Trend Micro's online scanner caught.

And I'm refering to the free version which is what I use. And it was my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude
    Not here to bash AVG, since I use it but I have seen it miss viruses that Trend Micro's online scanner caught.

And I'm refering to the free version which is what I use. And it was my machine.
    Do you have it set to scan ALL files and are you using heuristics?

1) Doesn't even take half a thought past 4 in the morning to quickly look through the magazine and find not_one_single Trend Micro advertisement. Besides, I knew it'd get to you, so I made sure I quoted it came in last.

2) I've never said AVG sucked, the only AV I dislike with any margin is McAfee (and when I'm reminded of my support nightmares from CAI, their Innoculan/eTrust products) Christ just this past week I've done over a dozen AVG installs, not to mention over the past month, you should see my AVG folder in my inbox stuffed with install keys.

3) Every day pretty much most of us will find one AV product finds stuff other miss....and that always changes according to the variety of a lot of circumstances out there. And the next day we're often able to find the exact opposite situation we saw the day before.

4) This test wasn't too bad as far as throwing a "real world" mixture at the candidates. Wildlist core list (developed for ISCA and Virus Bulletin), trojans, and various other Win32 malware.

AVG may be the best for you in your opinion...yippee. But he asked about two products specifically, Trend Micro's product, and Symantecs product. I produced an answer related to that, regarding the fact that Trend Micro's products have been getting rated higher lately, and what I felt of Symantecs System Management Console. And matter of fact, Trend is also being highly regarded by quite a few other professional sites and sources also, that related to running servers, MS Exchange, Small Business Server, and others relating to business networks. Business antivirus products have to be looked at with a whole different level, not just repairing some old lady's Gateway because her AOL brought in a virus through her outdated OEM install of McAfee 2.5.

Now back to prepping my skiboat for launch today, if the rain holds off.

Come on YOSC you put ANY faith in those ridiculous magazine tests? They are the biggest joke in the world, the "big boys" pay for their products to be rated number one, that is a fact. They don't even use a large REAL virus database to test from, they mostly use "test" viruses.

I am in FULL agreement with Norm, AVG is the best. Every single day I see AVG find viruses that others miss. Just yesterday I had a client with eTrust 7.0, that was fully up to date and scanned nightly (I set it up, he bought before I did any work for him), it said the pc was clean. After I worked on his network and explained that I only support AVG he wanted to try it, plus he was convinced that eTrust wasn't working as well as it should since "weird things" were still going on with his pc. This was after I had used Ad Aware, SpyBot and HijackThis.

This client had just lost all of his data on one of his pcs due to a virus, this was before he met me, so he was VERY cautious.

Well I uninstalled eTrust and installed, updated and setup the deeper scanning properties and AVG found 5 trojans that eTrust missed.

I see this almost every day and can't understand for the life why some of you guys say AVG misses a lot or sucks, it has out performed every other AV app I've tried. Every single client I have switched to AVG (FREE and Pro) has not had a single virus since they have switched. Where they were getting a virus here and there before with the programs they were using (Norton, McAfee, PCillin, Panda, eTrust).

I personally don't care what ANY "test" says, I know what I have seen first hand over and over again...... and that is AVG is the best.

:2cool:
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yes sir. It was really strange that day. AVG did catch two viruses that day from some stupid site . Then as a backup I did Trend Micro's online scanner and it found http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...JAVA_BYTEVER.A

Both AV's are pretty good, but personally speaking I slightly favor Norton.

If the OP was in the "market" for a freebie, maybe he'd of said. The thing is, many AV products work well, all have strengths and weaknesses in the technical arena, but it would seem he is buying for a professional contract.

Now, against a lawyer with a negligence suit, who would you rather have, a reliable corporation, or something else, which is, well what exactly in legal terms...?

Symantec - Norton AV.

When AVG doesnt work you always seem to find a reason why....that seems odd.
    I dont have to mess with 9000 settings to get My symantec ce able to catch everything right out ofd the box.
    Ive tried AVG I dont like it. I recommend Symantec CE but PC cillin is good as well.
    With either one I dont think youll have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    2) I've never said AVG sucked, the only AV I dislike with any margin is McAfee (and when I'm reminded of my support nightmares from CAI, their Innoculan/eTrust products) Christ just this past week I've done over a dozen AVG installs, not to mention over the past month, you should see my AVG folder in my inbox stuffed with install keys.
    I never said that YOU said it sucked, I'm just stating what I read here and many other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow
    When AVG doesnt work you always seem to find a reason why....that seems odd.
    I dont have to mess with 9000 settings to get My symantec ce able to catch everything right out ofd the box.
    Ive tried AVG I dont like it. I recommend Symantec CE but PC cillin is good as well.
    With either one I dont think youll have any problems.
    I'm not making any excuses I'm simply stating that you should ALWAYS customize the settings for any program you use. This is why we tweak our internet connections or customize Ad-aware's scanning preferences to find more things, the defualt settings for ANY program NEVER offer the best performance/protection.

Why do you guys take everything I post out of context?

It makes me want to stop posting here.

Not at all...the difference of opionions here is what makes this place work.
    Ive used many of your tweaks and everyone has helped.
    I tried AVG for over a year...it just didnt seem to work for me...I only took it off my last computer recently because something got thru AIM on my sons computer and it couldnt get rid of it.

No your opinion is always welcome and I respect the way you always stick to your guns

Thanks for sharing your views/opinions fellas.

Much appreciated!

TB

Just a little FYI article....

Cisco & Trend Mirco

- TB

I can't resist....

I've read a lot of BS online, and in magazines, especially where "tests" prove this or that.

Do your own testing, and let the best AV be installed.

So far with all the testing I've done (by no means complete testing of all antivirus apps, or using all known viruses) AVG has performed 'by far' better than any other app. (and that's the free version. I would assume the Pro version is even better.

Most companies use Norton, but that doesn't mean it's the best. It only means that it is "perceived" as the best.
    Done through advertizing and self promotion..

If you want to save yourselves a ton of headaches, don't let Norton AntiVi or Internet Security within 50 ft. of your computer.

Why do you guys take everything I post out of context?

We take them as we see them. Hell I'm impressed with your posts in this thread, usually anytime a virus or an antivirus program thread pops up u just say, "AVG is the best scanner ever and nothing can touch it!" then you walk away. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    Most companies use Norton, but that doesn't mean it's the best. It only means that it is "perceived" as the best.
    Done through advertizing and self promotion..
    Companies, and Norton, to me would me Small Business Edition, or Corporate Edition. Have you spent time with the full network version? Including system console to manage the entire network, perform AV rollouts/upgrades with? Or just talking about the retail home consumer, or even pro, version?

Because there's a difference, a huge difference.
    Guinness for Strength!!!