Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: What do you think about god?

Quote Originally Posted by Burke
    You just want your tithings from Abram...
    Just to comment on Passing the Fashion Plate my pastor preaches in jeans. Have fun at church.
    Melchizedek41

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthe
    They stopped spraying DDT around that time as well.... Perhaps that is the reason.... (J/K)

Do you beleive our children are less educated today than 40 years ago? What else is different in this world and in the home, outside of prayer in schools?

I would concur that teachers are no longer working from a position of power. This is a key problem.

sim shalom,
    david
    I understand your reponse about education could be different because of differences in the world, home etc. instead of just because of prayer and purhaps you are right but I will tell you about 11 years ago I watched a t.v. forum show that discussed the very issue I brought up. This is how I knew of the date they took prayer out of schools. At that time SAT scores had been researched. It had been found that in the public schools SAT scores decreased by about half what they were in 1962 and in the Catholic schools they declined a bit but were closer to the original SAT scores. Home schoolers tended to be even closer to the original SAT scores (*majority of homeschoolers do so because of their faith in God) and the scores that remain basically the same are that of private schools (The majority of which are Christian based). So that is why I am sold on the fact that much of the reason is due to prayer being taken out i.e.) "lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil". God gave us a free will and some have taken it and kicked God out of school. I do believe there are other factors involved but since all children in America have to go to school and will eventually grow up to shape the world, wouldn't it be smart of God's enemy to take him out at this level to begin the corruption he so desires? P.S. I am Melchizedek's wife and wrote out the poem but am not the author and I also remembered the date about prayer ceasing in schools because it just so happened to be the day my husband came into this world 42 years ago. So those of you who read this can wish him a happy birthday soon. God Bless and happy for any reply. Mel,s wife
    Melchizedek41

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid
    I am the one true god! all bow before me and worship me as your creator!

And not for some seriousness!

I beleice there is no real one all powerful "God" but rather that power is in all things in nature.
    Computer Competition

Jesus and Satan were having an ongoing argument about who managed to get the most out of his computer. This had been going on for days and God was tired of hearing all of the bickering. God said, "Cool it. I am going to set up a test that will run two hours and I will judge who does the better job."

So down they sat at the keyboards and typed away.

They moused away.
    They did spreadsheets,
    They wrote reports,
    They sent faxes,
    They sent out e-mail,
    They sent out e-mail with attachments,
    They downloaded,
    They did some genealogy reports,
    They made cards,
    They did every known job.

But just a few minutes before the two hours were up lightening flashed across the sky. The thunder rolled and the rains came down hard. And of course the electricity went off.

Satan was upset. He fumed and fussed and he ranted and raved. All, was to no avail. The electricity stayed off. But after a bit the rains stopped and the electricity came back on.

Satan screamed, "I lost it all when the power went off. What am I going to do? What happened to Jesus' work?"

Jesus just sat and smiled. Again Satan asked about the work that Jesus had done. As Jesus turned his computer back on the screen glowed and when he pushed "print," it was all there.

"How did he do it?" Satan asked. God smiled and said, "Jesus Saves."

Little Deucey
    Quote Originally Posted by Melchizedek41
    Computer Competition

Jesus and Satan were having an ongoing argument about who managed to get the most out of his computer. This had been going on for days and God was tired of hearing all of the bickering. God said, "Cool it. I am going to set up a test that will run two hours and I will judge who does the better job."

They moused away.
    They did spreadsheets,
    They wrote reports,
    They sent faxes,
    They sent out e-mail,
    They downloaded,
    They made cards,

But just a few minutes before the two hours were up lightening flashed across the sky. The thunder rolled and the rains came down hard. And of course the electricity went off.

Satan was upset. He fumed and fussed and he ranted and raved. All, was to no avail. The electricity stayed off. But after a bit the rains stopped and the electricity came back on.

Satan screamed, "I lost it all when the power went off. What am I going to do? What happened to Jesus' work?"

Jesus just sat and smiled. Again Satan asked about the work that Jesus had done. As Jesus turned his computer back on the screen glowed and when he pushed "print," it was all there.

You da man Jesus and you my man Mel

Cool Website
    Melchizedek41

Computer Competition

They moused away.
    They did spreadsheets,
    They wrote reports,
    They sent faxes,
    They sent out e-mail,
    They downloaded,
    They made cards,

lol, i like that one!
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

disabled account
    I understand your reponse about education could be different because of differences in the world, home etc. instead of just because of prayer and purhaps you are right but I will tell you about 11 years ago I watched a t.v. forum show that discussed the very issue I brought up. This is how I knew of the date they took prayer out of schools. At that time SAT scores had been researched. It had been found that in the public schools SAT scores decreased by about half what they were in 1962 and in the Catholic schools they declined a bit but were closer to the original SAT scores. Home schoolers tended to be even closer to the original SAT scores (*majority of homeschoolers do so because of their faith in God) and the scores that remain basically the same are that of private schools (The majority of which are Christian based). So that is why I am sold on the fact that much of the reason is due to prayer being taken out i.e.) "lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil". God gave us a free will and some have taken it and kicked God out of school. I do believe there are other factors involved but since all children in America have to go to school and will eventually grow up to shape the world, wouldn't it be smart of G-d's enemy to take him out at this level to begin the corruption he so desires? P.S. I am Melchizedek's wife and wrote out the poem but am not the author and I also remembered the date about prayer ceasing in schools because it just so happened to be the day my husband came into this world 42 years ago. So those of you who read this can wish him a happy birthday soon. God Bless and happy for any reply. Mel,s wife
    Fair enough.

I would offer that our public schools are suffering from poor funding. Secular private schools are doing a tremendous job at instructing chilfdren without the need for prayer. In addition, many European countries can boast well educated students. It is not the lack of G-d in schools, but the lack of discipline and the influence of non-educational diversion (That would include computers.... hee hee...). I can understand that folk who are passionate and focused on a topic can see it ubiquitiously, but not everything can be cured by faith. Faith is meant to bring a form of understanding to life, not to remedy all evils.

I concur that much of what is in our entertainment media is at odds with many religious teachings. Having family friendly alternatives are the best answer.

Happy brithday, Mel and continued happiness in your life.

sim shalom,
    david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

akaralia
    seriously now you sound quite sure about your belief, as a matter of fact you make it sound like knowledge, is it really?
    before we start writing we should remember that this is a 12 year old that has some serious questions, it is a mind easy to confuse or proselytize and all I have to ask here with all the respect required is that all you believers of any religion is that.
    Can you prove to me the being of God. Do you have, not just hints beliefs or other fairy tales but scientifical hard proofs? Maybe you just speculate. But there has been a lot of blood runing down the history lane on these speculations. Of the idea of US "knowing", or "possesing" the one and only true, and of course the others, the infintels should go to hell, dissapear or die buy our holly hand if they do not accept our trouth.Oh! come on now I will ask every thinking human to start some investigation for their believes whatever they are (not the foundamentalists or fanatics unfortunally i do not think they are capable of indepentend thinking), but the rest of you please prove to me.
    1) That there is REALLY a god
    2) If there is HE or SHE is worth the blood

Sorry if my english are awkward but it is not my native language, but believe me I am not using the verb exist on purpose because i prefer the verb I am.

And there is 2 words that can start a lot of wars BELIEVE AND BELONG.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akaralia
    seriously now you sound quite sure about your belief, as a matter of fact you make it sound like knowledge, is it really?
    before we start writing we should remember that this is a 12 year old that has some serious questions, it is a mind easy to confuse or proselytize and all I have to ask here with all the respect required is that all you believers of any religion is that.
    Can you prove to me the being of God. Do you have, not just hints beliefs or other fairy tales but scientifical hard proofs? Maybe you just speculate. But there has been a lot of blood runing down the history lane on these speculations. Of the idea of US "knowing", or "possesing" the one and only true, and of course the others, the infintels should go to hell, dissapear or die buy our holly hand if they do not accept our trouth.Oh! come on now I will ask every thinking human to start some investigation for their believes whatever they are (not the foundamentalists or fanatics unfortunally i do not think they are capable of indepentend thinking), but the rest of you please prove to me.
    1) That there is REALLY a god
    2) If there is HE or SHE is worth the blood

Sorry if my english are awkward but it is not my native language, but believe me I am not using the verb exist on purpose because i prefer the verb I am.

And there is 2 words that can start a lot of wars BELIEVE AND BELONG.
    What you just said is in phillsophical terms is "the ultamite turth" no one is 100 percent certain unless they have faith.

Theologist is mainly faith based

Science not to have a bysist opinon to get the turth.

So unless you have faith biased opinon you won't figure out the turth first hand.

as Ghost and I said you don't need to follow an organize religon to find god you could define your own concept of him

i think that approch is the comprise of all postions
    Comptia a+ n+

akaralia
    Quote Originally Posted by mccoffee
    What you just said is in phillsophical terms is "the ultamite turth" no one is 100 percent certain unless they have faith.

Theologist is mainly faith based

Science not to have a bysist opinon to get the turth.

So unless you have faith biased opinon you won't figure out the turth first hand.

as Ghost and I said you don't need to follow an organize religon to find god you could define your own concept of him

i think that approch is the comprise of all postions
    yes but faith is not knowledge therefore you cannot be certain.
    And speakin of the difference the other time one of my friends who believes he asked me "If you die and you go to Paradise(she believes i will get there because even I am not a believer I live a good Life) and you see god in front of you will you not believe then" and I replied no I will not bellieve I will Know, huge difference.

I understand a lot of people need the Religion to go on living like my wife, it makes them feel good safe and gives them strenght to face all problems and I respect that "weakness", but somewhwre down the line it is about time for humanity to realize that it will survive and live a prosperous life without the fairy tales, Although I have to admit they are beautiful and shoothing but we have to move on, this is 2004, 2000plus years after Christianism and Islamism there must be a better and more realistic philosophical approach to living

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    You should look up Pascals gamble

Also check out nitchze though one to spell St.Thomas Acqunis, also i say Mills, Bention

Different views of the life god and all that

Socertes said to know the good is to do the good
    Comptia a+ n+

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    The best way of putting it for me, is like this...

I don't believe that a being, a force, a God if you will, created EVERYTHING in this universe. Most of humanity (even shown throughout time) need to believe in some kind of creator or stronger being. The fact is, if you want to take the viewpoint that everything has to have a creator, then you also have to extend that path of logic to God. Who created your God? Who created your creator? The religious answer that God is eternal doesn't wash it with me. If you want to use the argument that everything has a creator, then you must also extend that to God.

easily amused
    I believe in God.
    The Father, who created all things.
    The Son, who redeems us thru His bood.
    The Spirit, who calls each of us unto Him.

This is just a side thought I wanted to throw in ....time is measured in the Bible from Adam....from the birth of Cain til today about 6,000 years have passed. Some people would dismiss the Bible out of hand because of Carbon dating, etc...this needn't be done. Time is measured from the FALL of man....not from his creation. There is no record of how long Adam and Eve were in the Garden before their sin.